I Didn't Wait

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by aajad, Sep 10, 2008.

  1. aajad macrumors member


    Sep 16, 2007
    Here's my take. I have an iPod Touch and I'm probably in the minority in that I never listened to music on it. I used it to surf the web on my home network when I didn't want to get on the desktop or on the wireless network at school. I was astute enough to buy it at Costco and I was never happy with the battery life, so I exchanged it within the 90 day period. Now I bring it back for good and put the $420 towards the MacBook. I decided to buy the cheapest MacBook with my Educator Advantage to use instead of the Touch. I have a shuffle for the gym and this has worked out fine. Just an $85 4GB memory upgrade and I'm good to go. I want my desktop to be the power machine. The laptop is a toy for me and I'm very happy with it.
  2. smurfjammer macrumors 6502a


    Jun 7, 2004
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Enjoy your new purchase :D
    I can't stop using my Macbook and I have my G5 iMac in the same room!!!
  3. Euan macrumors regular

    Sep 1, 2005
    Well I'm not waiting and bought a new Macbook this morning :)
  4. collegebound macrumors newbie

    Aug 20, 2008
    still undecided

    Still undecided to wait or not to wait. The Touch upgrades are nice, external controls, speaker, size for price. Now I can pay 299 and get the 16g for the same 299 that used to buy 8gb (what I would have gotten free with the rebate).

    If I wait, the macbook might come down in price-maybe $100.
    The current education price for the cheapest is 999, so right now for $999 I get old computer and old 8gb Touch. Or for 1099 get the 16 gb Touch.

    If Macbook comes down 100, to $899 I can spend 899 + 229 =1128 (for the new 8gb). So, for $128 more I get the newer computer and newer Touch, or spend $198 more (899 + 299= 1198) than the old stuff I can get the 16gb new touch and the updated macbook.

    All depends on new Macbook pricing!! (plus I'm hoping not to get white-it's not masculine to me and the black is more expensive-that I see on the site)

    Do I have this figured correctly? Are the changes to the two worth $100-$200 and will they reduce the Macbook prices!!??
  5. Neobond macrumors regular

    Feb 10, 2008
    I currently have an iBook G4, I bought it a little longer than a month before the MacBook came out. This was very disappointing even though the iBook has treated me very well and has had only one major problem (DC-in board shot) in almost 2 1/2 years. Obviously I do not want this to happen again.

    I need to be able to run AutoCAD for school, and I will have the money needed for a new laptop in two to three weeks. And I do not want to waste any cash on a cheap windows computer to get me by.

    WHAT should I do????

    Should I wait to see what happens? Or will the MacBook refresh come after December??

    I know what these boards will give me for answers, just thought I'd share.
  6. mari0 macrumors member

    Sep 10, 2007
    This is what I am doing. I was going to wait for a new MacBook but god knows how long it will be until Apple release it. I am going to buy the present MacBook, if any spy shots come out, or any details come out within the 14 day remorse period I shall take my MacBook back, if not I will keep it and treasure it!
  7. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

    Apr 27, 2008
    Present evidence points towards an October update to the entire MacBook line (including the Air) but I remain skeptical. I have the current generation MacBook (4,1) and it is simply amazing. Why wait when you're only going to get a mediocre speed bump, possibly slightly faster graphics, and least likely a new case? I'd say buy now and be happy.
  8. mari0 macrumors member

    Sep 10, 2007
    Just as I have said that....that news comes out!

    Anyway, I love the white colored MacBooks, I have a Mac Mini (April 2006) at the moment and I need the portability as I will be going from Newcastle to London on the train frequently. 2.4 ghz Core 2 Duo should be a bit of a bump up from the 1.6 Core Duo that I have. I do light programming for my course at University, (PHP, Java, HTML, CSS) along with Essays and I love my music so it would be nice to have that with me at all the times. Even though I do Computer Science I do not need the raw power that the MacBook Pro offers me, I do not play games and what I do does not require the GPU just number crunching.

    Like I said if I change my mind in two weeks I always have the remorse period.
  9. mari0 macrumors member

    Sep 10, 2007
    Anyway...BOO SUNDERLAND...

    Just joking matey.
  10. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

    Apr 27, 2008
    Oh my gods I have that Mac Mini too.

    And its only used for recording Freeview now I have my MacBook :D

    And aye, boo Sunderland. A degree is still a degree though... kinda... ish...
  11. mari0 macrumors member

    Sep 10, 2007
    Wicked, you at the University there?

    I love my Mini, I have the 22" Samsung Pebble Monitor to go with it. Although this new version of iTunes is killing my Mini along with Leopard. Buying my MacBook this W/E coming from the Apple Regent Store in London! Can't wait. I think my girl friend wants me to spend the money on her instead..

    Do you use HandBrake on your BlackBook?
  12. jeffuwee macrumors member


    Aug 31, 2008
    yeah lol i can't wait either. im going to buy it in a week or two probably. hopefully a blackbook :D but what's handbrake?
  13. *Sandy* macrumors 6502

    May 15, 2008
    Always in a path of a Hurricane!
    I do the same thing, never load it with music.
  14. alphaod macrumors Core


    Feb 9, 2008

Share This Page