I dislike the new power button on the rMBP.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AzN1337c0d3r, Sep 9, 2012.

1. AzN1337c0d3r macrumors 6502

Too often in Bootcamp I hit it while trying to hit F12 or backspace and the entire machine goes to sleep :\

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

I have no problem with it, you can always change what the power button does when you press it.

3. AzN1337c0d3r thread starter macrumors 6502

The only viable option is "Do Nothing", which is what I have it set at.

I really wished that Apple hadn't made the power button so similar to a regular button. Although I understand putting it on the keyboard probably saves them $0.50 or so.

4. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

I don't think it's about saving them money - what else would they put there? (now that there is no need to eject) panic button?

5. AzN1337c0d3r thread starter macrumors 6502

A long long time ago Apple keyboards had F13, F14, and F15 buttons...

Or they could add a new button for Ins, Delete, Home, End, or any of the other missing keys from the standard 104 keyboard. Or bring back Num Lock. A Prnt Scrn button would be nice too.

They should leave the power button where it has been for every single other Macbook Pro model?

6. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

Apple wired kbds still have them.

prnt scrn is windows, plus cmd+shift+3/4 doesn't do?

Num lock, there is no numeric kbd - so that would be pointless.

the only one that might be useful would be fwd delete, but fn+delete is quick enough too...

I like it how they've saved space, and made it more clean in appearance.

7. AzN1337c0d3r thread starter macrumors 6502

This combination is OS X only. And calling it the "Windows" key is ironic :)

If they introduced a Num Lock key, all it would take is some new keycaps and a quick keyboard firmware reprogramming that any undergraduate CS or EE programmer could handle to enable Numpad functionality. (Hint: The pre-unibody Macbook Pros had it)

I'd prefer function over form. Didn't spend $2500 just for the laptop to look pretty.

8. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

why would you want to lock up the row of number keys? i just don't get that?

9. AzN1337c0d3r thread starter macrumors 6502

When I'm inputting large tables of numbers into a spreadsheet, with Numpad I can do it quickly and efficiently with one-hand.

10. terraphantm macrumors 68040

They could have made it like the original MBA - the eject button was still ther and functional if an external superdrive was connected

11. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

This is true, but I still stand by my view that it is good there and was the correct decision to make to benefit the majority of users.

I have never once made tapped it by mistake whilst typing.

I also have a question: "does the rMBP look like a cost cutting laptop", No, I highly doubt this is anything about cost cutting.

----------

i didn't call it 'the windows key', just that it is a windows/microsoft environment feature, not a mac one. So why on earth would they add it to a mac kbd? just for use in boot camp?

12. qpiqp macrumors member

I don't like it either, I liked having a physical power button. Then again, it's really not a big deal at all.

13. stuaz macrumors 6502

The only keys I miss from a mac keyboard is "delete" (Not backspace) and the "Home"/"End" buttons, but you soon get around them, its just slightly annoying when you go from one computer (windows) for Work to my personal one.

I do like the power button on the keyboard though - on my 13" 2008 it always looked like a "after thought" that small round power button on the case.

14. AzN1337c0d3r, Sep 9, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2012

AzN1337c0d3r thread starter macrumors 6502

All companies seek to maximize profits. What is one way you can maximize profit? Cut costs.

Cutting small functions out of a high-volume item (the rMBP design will likely sell millions if not tens of millions), and that one little cut will net Apple quite a significant sum of money.

See also: Removal of line-in port in 2012 uMBP 13.

It doesn't have to be a budget device for a company to cut costs on it.

It doesn't Print Screen under Windows. That particular key combination only works under OS X, yet you used the word "Windows" for it. Apple official documentation calls that key the Command key, there's no sign of a Windows logo on it.