i do not get mac os x updates

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dsajems, Jan 24, 2010.

1. dsajems macrumors newbie

ok so the last mac os x update this computer had was the on to get to 10.3.9 but when i check for updates thee is nothing there anyone know what i should do? because i really dont want to have to buy the cds that are very expensive

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

10.3.9 is the latest update for 10.3 ...

Since you are running 10.3, you have a PPC Mac, and the absolute highest update it can run is 10.5, but you'd have to buy the discs.

What machine do you have?

3. dsajems thread starter macrumors newbie

i have a powerbook g4 and is there a reason i didnt just get those updates for free through the system update

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Those updates are not free. If you are running 10.x.y, the .y updates are free, but not the .x. So, 10.3.0 through 10.3.9 are free, but not from 10.3.9 to 10.4.

5. dsajems thread starter macrumors newbie

ah i see could i just buy 10.5 or do i have to get 10.4 first then go from there

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You can buy 10.5 directly, but what are the exact specs of your PowerBook?

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

10.4 and 10.5 are different Operating Systems.

For example, we have:

10.3 --> Panther
    10.4 --> Tiger
    10.5 --> Leopard
    10.6 --> Snow Leopard

Within each OS, there are updates. The updates, which are free, are indicated with the 3 digit such as:

etc.

It will depend on what Mac you have as for what is the most recent Operating System that you can use.

Edit: I see r.j.s beat me to it.

8. dsajems thread starter macrumors newbie

well the processor is 1.33 GHz PowerPC G4 and the memory is 768MB DDR SDRAM and i got to go to bed so ill check back in the morning

9. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

That machine will run 10.5, but it will be slow with only 768MB of RAM ... for best performance, I'd stick with 10.4.

10. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I will just add, that Tiger (10.4) works fine on my PB15 (1.25GHz) with 1GB RAM.

11. dsajems thread starter macrumors newbie

ok so do you know the cheapest place to get it

12. Hmac macrumors 68020

Looks like there are several places where it's available, but it's pretty expensive from, say, places like Amazon.

I'd check ebay, take a chance on buying a used Tiger install DVD. Looks like they're going for around $60-$100 used, as opposed to around $250 on Amazon.

13. old-wiz macrumors G3

make sure you get a retail disk, not a grey system restore disk.

14. tonyburkhart macrumors regular

tonyburkhart

@dsajems - Just curious; are you looking for some added functionality, or are you interested in the upgrade for itself?

You might want to read through a couple of links to see if it is something you really need.

1. Wikipedia article with an overview of upgrades :
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X#Mac_OS_X_v10.3_.22Panther.22

2. Apple support "click and learn" site for 10.4 :
    http://www.apple.com/support/tiger/

I must say that there are some amazing components added to 10.4, but if they are ones that you don't need, you may be spending your money in the wrong place. It may be better to sell the Powerbook G4 for what you can get out of it now and put that money towards a newer model (even if it's used) system that can support up to 10.6 and beyond, running an Intel.

Again, this is just my opinion and thought. What your needs re should determine your course of action.

What are the programs and applications that you use on a daily basis right now?

15. Fishrrman macrumors G4

I'm also using a g4 running on 10.3.9.

There haven't been any "software updates" for 10.3.9 for some time now. I'm guessing that there aren't going to be any more.

For all intents and purposes 10.3.9 "as is" is "as far as you're going to get" with it.

You didn't say which Mac you have.

You might consider searching for a 10.4 "Tiger" install DVD and upgrade. Then you can get to 10.4.11. Granted, it won't be "the latest and greatest", but 10.4.11 still runs _almost_ everything out there.

Either buy a "universal" install DVD (installs on any Mac), or search ebay for an install disc specific to your Mac (be careful what you buy here). The universal discs cost more, but if you don't take care and try to buy a Mac-specific disc, you could end up with the wrong one.

16. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

I find that Leopard, 10.5.8, runs very well on a G4 Mac, even better than Tiger. I have it on a 1.25 G4 Mac mini with 512 of RAM & a 800 MHz G4 iMac with 768 of RAM.