I do not have 'sufficient privileges'?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nospleen, Mar 23, 2008.

1. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

Hello,

I sold my MBP and backed everything up to my external HD as I always do. (by dragging the home folder to the external) I would have used time machine, but I read somewhere that it does not work with Aperture, not sure if that is true, but I did not want to risk it.

I added a profile to a mac that my wife and I share. I added myself as an admin and went to the external HD and it will not let me access the data I backed up? It will let me when I am under my wife's profile though. I checked the sharing and permissions and made sure I could access it, that didn't work. I then when to her profile and moved the backup items to the shared folder and then went back to my profile and moved my data where needed. That work around worked, except it will not let me open my own iTunes library? I mean that literally, it gives an error on launch.

I have backed up this way no less than 100 times and the long time forum members know I burn through my macs, lol, so I know how to get my data on my new machine.

What can I do? I have included some screenshots...

Attached Files:

2. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

Fixed it!! I had to right click on the external HD, get info, and check 'ignore ownership on this volume'. I didn't do anything different this time, so that was kind of weird. I wonder if time machine had anything to do with it. But, hopefully the fix will help someone else who goes through the same issue! :)