Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Hi guys, I heard about a yellowish screen problem, and am unsure of if I have it. If I look at the screen head on, everything looks normal, but if I look at it off an angle left or right, even just a little bit, the screen turns yellowish.

Normal?

duffyanneal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
ATL
Hi guys, I heard about a yellowish screen problem, and am unsure of if I have it. If I look at the screen head on, everything looks normal, but if I look at it off an angle left or right, even just a little bit, the screen turns yellowish.

Normal?

That is normal. Some of the displays have a bit wider viewing range, but what you are seeing is typical.

sjb

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2007

Normal?

This is completely normal. Save yourself some sanity and if you feel you don't have the yellow screen issue, don't pursue it. You may become like me and start seeing things :)

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I keep saying, but unless Apple starts using high quality S-IPS panels, there will always have these viewing angle and color issues.

duffyanneal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
ATL
I keep saying, but unless Apple starts using high quality S-IPS panels, there will always have these viewing angle and color issues.

Absolutely, the TN screens all exhibit this effect to some degree or another. This is common to all manufacturer's not just Apple. IPS, MVA, etc. would greatly enhance the viewing experience, but cost, weight, power consumption, and lack of availability by LCD manufacturers all contribute to the lack or loss (in Thinkpad's case) of the better screens. You even run into this issue with some sizes of desktop displays.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Absolutely, the TN screens all exhibit this effect to some degree or another. This is common to all manufacturer's not just Apple. IPS, MVA, etc. would greatly enhance the viewing experience, but cost, weight, power consumption, and lack of availability by LCD manufacturers all contribute to the lack or loss (in Thinkpad's case) of the better screens. You even run into this issue with some sizes of desktop displays.

It's a big change for me from the going from an S-IPS Thinkpad to this. I'm still pretty happy though and I do have Dell 2007FPW with S-IPS to comfort me. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.