Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

torvan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sitting back looking at my Mac machines, I am at a loss as to which I love more:

Pro 5,1 (yeah I know not PPC but bear with me) Mojave
G4 MDD (2003) 1.25 Ghz. OS9.2.2/Leopard
G4 Mini 1.25 Ghz Leopard
  • Pro 5,1 (yeah I know not PPC but bear with me) Mojave.. Native SATA​
  • G4 Dual 1.0 Ghz OS9.2.2/Leopard Sonnet Tempo SATA​
  • G4 AGP 500 Mhz 9.2.2. Sonnet Tempo SATA​
  • G4 MDD (2003) 1.25 Ghz. OS9.2.2/Leopard Sonnet Tempo SATA​
  • G4 Mini 1.25 Ghz Leopard OWC SATA IDE​

All are still in beautiful pristine condition, lovingly cared for. All are upgraded as far as I can go without modding, and all have SATA drives-either native support, Sonnet Tempo SATA card, or an OWC SATA IDE drive.

I give the "Quiet" and "Beautiful" award to both the Pro and the AGP. Both silent and still factory fresh cases.

I give a "Quiet" and "Nice" to the Mini, but also a "hard to upgrade" award to as well.

The Dual gets the "most pristine" award since I got him completely unused still in the box with all accessories still wrapped, although it is louder since I got a TI 4600 128mb for him.

The MDD gets the "Best Buy" and "Shine" awards as I got two for less than market value, and of course those shiny drive doors that have narry a scratch. Also loud with a TI4600 128mb in it.

Well, perhaps I do not have to pick which one I love. I can love them all!

bjar

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2013
Sugar land, tx
Sitting back looking at my Mac machines, I am at a loss as to which I love more:

Pro 5,1 (yeah I know not PPC but bear with me) Mojave
G4 MDD (2003) 1.25 Ghz. OS9.2.2/Leopard
G4 Mini 1.25 Ghz Leopard
  • Pro 5,1 (yeah I know not PPC but bear with me) Mojave.. Native SATA​
  • G4 Dual 1.0 Ghz OS9.2.2/Leopard Sonnet Tempo SATA​
  • G4 AGP 500 Mhz 9.2.2. Sonnet Tempo SATA​
  • G4 MDD (2003) 1.25 Ghz. OS9.2.2/Leopard Sonnet Tempo SATA​
  • G4 Mini 1.25 Ghz Leopard OWC SATA IDE​

All are still in beautiful pristine condition, lovingly cared for. All are upgraded as far as I can go without modding, and all have SATA drives-either native support, Sonnet Tempo SATA card, or an OWC SATA IDE drive.

I give the "Quiet" and "Beautiful" award to both the Pro and the AGP. Both silent and still factory fresh cases.

I give a "Quiet" and "Nice" to the Mini, but also a "hard to upgrade" award to as well.

The Dual gets the "most pristine" award since I got him completely unused still in the box with all accessories still wrapped, although it is louder since I got a TI 4600 128mb for him.

The MDD gets the "Best Buy" and "Shine" awards as I got two for less than market value, and of course those shiny drive doors that have narry a scratch. Also loud with a TI4600 128mb in it.

Well, perhaps I do not have to pick which one I love. I can love them all!
I have all of these except the AGP. But I also have a G5. I love the G5 the most. It is beautiful. More so than the Mac Pro 5,1 in my opinion.

Reactions: AphoticD

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
All are upgraded as far as I can go without modding…
By modding what do you mean exactly?

Almost all G4's can be upgraded to use a Sonnet 1.8Ghz Dual Processor CPU. You just have to find them. If you're upgraded as far as you can go without modding are all your G4s 1.8Ghz DP?

What about video cards? With the exception of the Quicksilver you can run a Radeon FireGL X3 card. Do you have any of those installed?

I get that you love your Macs (that's why we are all here after all) but having maxxed out a Quicksilver G4 myself I'm just curious to know where you are drawing this line.

PS. I'm using G5s now myself - mainly because my Quicksilver couldn't handle everything I upgraded it to.

Reactions: AphoticD

torvan

macrumors member
Original poster
By modding what do you mean exactly?

Almost all G4's can be upgraded to use a Sonnet 1.8Ghz Dual Processor CPU. You just have to find them. If you're upgraded as far as you can go without modding are all your G4s 1.8Ghz DP?

What about video cards? With the exception of the Quicksilver you can run a Radeon FireGL X3 card. Do you have any of those installed?

I get that you love your Macs (that's why we are all here after all) but having maxxed out a Quicksilver G4 myself I'm just curious to know where you are drawing this line.

PS. I'm using G5s now myself - mainly because my Quicksilver couldn't handle everything I upgraded it to.

They are upgraded as much as I can afford to do, so that is why I said they are up as far as I can go without modding them. I do not need them to have any higher processor speed than they are now, given they are not mission critical devices.

As for video, since I run OS9 most of the time on them, the TI4600 is the top OS9 card and what the two upper G4s run. If I use OSX, I just the Pro 5,1 and the 24" iMac Core 2 Duo.

My G5 machine died a smoky death a few years ago, and in my local area they are rarer than rain in the Mojave. So the case is all I have left for it.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
They are upgraded as much as I can afford to do, so that is why I said they are up as far as I can go without modding them. I do not need them to have any higher processor speed than they are now, given they are not mission critical devices.

As for video, since I run OS9 most of the time on them, the TI4600 is the top OS9 card and what the two upper G4s run. If I use OSX, I just the Pro 5,1 and the 24" iMac Core 2 Duo.

My G5 machine died a smoky death a few years ago, and in my local area they are rarer than rain in the Mojave. So the case is all I have left for it.
Perhaps we define the word 'modding' differently. You seem to be defining 'modding' as upgrades you cannot afford to do, while I am seeing it as doing things to the case or internals that are not stock things.

For instance, (back to my mention of CPU), installing a 1.8Ghz DP on my G4 Quicksilver was an upgrade. Putting a hole in the bottom of the case to fit a 120mm fan was a mod.

I was just asking because as far as I can tell you still have plenty of room to upgrade your Macs before actually getting into modding them.

All of that said, you have some nice systems so I can understand your reason for posting.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Had a 1.25 G4 Mini back in 2005. Garbage machine even at the time. Underpowered in just about every way, and I remember being super disappointed at the performance coming from a 450MHz B&W G3. Capping out at 1GB of memory with a PATA 2.5HDD and 10/100 ethernet it was 4 years out of date upon release. One of only 3 machines I ever sold.

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
Had a 1.25 G4 Mini back in 2005. Garbage machine even at the time. Underpowered in just about every way, and I remember being super disappointed at the performance coming from a 450MHz B&W G3. Capping out at 1GB of memory with a PATA 2.5HDD and 10/100 ethernet it was 4 years out of date upon release. One of only 3 machines I ever sold.
My only issue with the G4 mini is the 10/100 Ethernet. I have the 1.5Ghz model, and the only reason it isn't in use as a file server is because of that. I can't think of a good reason its only got 10/100. I can't justify keeping my Mystic or G5 up all the time for that purpose. Too much power. I just power one of them up when I need to grab something off them.

A lot of HP machines are like that too. I've got a few HP desktops sitting in the closet right now and they all have 10/100 built in. Sure I could stick a GigE PCI or PCIe in them but I have other machines with it built in. One of those is circa 2007 or 2008 and its still got 10/100 lol

Reactions: Slix

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
I have a Core Solo 1.5 Mini running as a little iTunes 4 server 24/7. Like you, I’m all about low power and this little guy does it. The 2GB of RAM, SATA HDD and of course gigabit Ethernet are major advancements over the poor G4 Mini. I’m not gonna lie, I love the novelty of the slowest Intel Mac ever produced as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.