I do not recommend Speck Hard Cases

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ryannazaretian, Mar 15, 2009.

1. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

All right, this is pretty bad for a product that costs $50.

I have gone through 3 of them now, in 2 months... What's wrong wit them?

The first one I got was defective. The top left clip for the bottom was missing.

The second one lasted a few weeks until I took it off to clean the laptop, then the top left clip broke. Again!

I'm on my third one right now and the top right clip broke on it just sitting on the desk. I just got it yesterday! WTF?

I'm calling Speck on Monday to try to get my money back. This is seriously a quality control problem. 2/3 defective while shipped is bad, but 3/3 failure rate is very bad.

I do not recommend them, especially for $50.

I have the clear hardshell case.

2. dibara2003 macrumors 6502

Well, if you get your money back, go with InCase. I've never had a problem with them.

3. Benjic macrumors regular

Wow, I had the EXACT same issue with my bottom half, on the left clip, near the screen. I emailed them and they sent me a new one free of charge, and let me keep the old one. Very prompt service, but I am still thinking about the incase in matte black though.

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

You could have asked this forum before you even bought one who recommended them, and i guarantee only one or two people would say they liked them, everyone knows they suck. As a company they always cut corners. They used to scratch your Macbook, and now it seems they are arriving broken. Everyone knows Incase are much better.

5. Benjic macrumors regular

Some people here don't have enough money for two MacBook Pros, so we like the keep the one we have in nice shape. Feel free to actually add something to the discussion next time, okay?

6. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo

the speck hardcase is 14 bucks online. nvm that is just the macbook air

7. Benjic macrumors regular

8. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

All these little hard cases, I've read that it can actually cause more damage than good by scratching the aluminum up.

Anyway, if you have one of those on you can NEVER enjoy the aluminum. Just take care of your stuff and you'll be fine.

9. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo

10. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

Same exact issue with the Speck black satin for my MB Pro. The bottom, left clip is broken. I sent them an email on Saturday, and am still waiting for a reply.

I'm not a fan of InCase (I had a terrible customer service experience) but I just may end up getting their case.

11. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

12. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Oh my god. I hate Speck with my whole life. I had one on my white MacBook but then took it off cause the added weight was unacceptable for school. Now the hinge is all weak and there are so many scratches on it. I'm now looking into buying an Incase one before I give the MacBook to my dad so it looks at least somewhat nice.

13. ryannazaretian thread starter macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

Agreed. I bought it to protect it from scratching the top mostly as I'm in college and lugging this thing around everywhere. Then there is always that chance of water spilling while it is closed. The case will not allow water to enter though the Apple logo and will simply go down the sides. Let's just say it makes it more water resistant, which is definitely needed with all this rain in the South.

14. Liquidpics macrumors member

Liquidpics

Yup

Why would you keep buying Speck over and over? :rolleyes:

15. ryannazaretian thread starter macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

They've all been replaced under warranty. 1 Year warranty.

16. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

Looks like I wasnt the only one with the bottom left corner with the missing tab. Mine was actually pressed down when I received the case so I had to gently lift up the tab but even after doing so, the case didnt fit correct. I'm in the process of returning the current product and waiting to receive the replacement in Stain Black.

I will let you know what happens with the exchange process. I hope it goes smoothly.

17. ryannazaretian thread starter macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

I called Speck and they refunded me, but they expect me to pay for shipping to ship the product back. Not the best solution, but better than replacing broken cases with more broken cases. I give up on Speck.

18. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

I was thinking of purchasing on online (eBay) but I was wondering if they have any effect on the temperatures of the laptop?

19. marine610610 macrumors regular

My Speck case actually worked quite well. I recently took it off because i hate the look. Im going to check out that Incase ..uh case

20. BrettFarve04 macrumors regular

i went though 3 speck cases with my powerbook G4 and my first gen macbookpro and now my unibody. Speak cases leave the corners of your case scuffed and scratched. DO NOT BUY imo:p:p

21. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

is your unibody scratched up now due to speck case ? if so which one ? hard shell or the satin ?

i heard that satin is bit softer on the inside than the hard shell. I could be wrong though.

22. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

It's terrible.. Installation is a pain. Applyng liquid to a liquid sensored machine is a big NO no.

23. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I disagree. The first time you ever install one it may be a bit of a pain, but the 2nd time is the charm. It wasn't that bad at all to install on my current MBP. About the liquid, I just made sure to soak up all the drips with a cloth and directed the liquid away from the ports. While I was installing it, I had the computer off and the battery out. It looks good, protects well, and is well worth the money in my opinion. The warranty is better than most too- if you ever have any problems with it, they'll replace it for only the cost of S&H.

24. scuzy macrumors member

My speck case arrive today and it too me no less than 5 minutes to install and it works great. Of course my speck case is the satin soft finish one and not the see through clear. The plastics might be more soft and bendable compare to the see through one.

25. machomer macrumors regular

I had a Speck Clear case, but have switched to Incase for the frosted look. My Speck Clear case is available if anyone wants to buy it for half the cost. I'm not sure if this needs to be on the market place.