Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
I honestly didn't see much point in jailbreaking. Before I get flamed, I did have it jailbroken for a few days/weeks just to see what all the fuss was about. I have the first generation iPod, so I don't want to be accused of making up BS.

First, many people jailbreak for themes/customizations. I tried out a bunch of themes, and even created a few of my own. They just didn't look right, and after a while, it just got boring; which prompted me to get another theme. Time wasters in my opinion.

Apps, many people jailbreak to get apps. Well, if you haven't lived in some cave, you know that the App Store has much better quality apps, some paid some free. I'd rather pay a few bucks for a quality app that has some kind of quality guarantee. For people that say maybe they can't afford apps due to financial problems, well you spend $200+ for an iPod right? Not to mention music, videos, etc. Maybe cases as well. I'm sure you can justify a few bucks.

And lastly, jailbreaking has evolved in parallel to pirating in my area/school. Half my friends flame me for buying music, and say that I'm wasting my money. Ironically, it's the richer kids that do this kind of thing... I'm not rich, but not exactly dirt poor either. They said that buying music is basically giving money to artists that are mostly millionaires. Well, how did they get their millions in the first place? Because people spent money buying their music. If we all did this pirating stuff, they wouldn't be millionaires anymore. Some of my friends have the second generation and said that Apple was frauding them and that iPod touches were supposed to be jailbroken and the second generations weren't able to be jailbroken.

Sorry for this rant, but jailbreaking is mostly pointless, unless you want some stuff like Terminal or NetShare. If you absolutely need them, then you should be wondering why you are doing important tasks on Terminal on an iPod and not a computer with full keyboard/mouse with a much bigger, brighter, screen, albeit not touchscreen.

andybno1

Suspended
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK
if you don't see the point in jailbreaking stay out the hacks section and don't go anywhere were they will be talking about jailbreaking and get on with life ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.