I donate to you all my first iphone webapp

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cis4life, Apr 4, 2008.

1. cis4life macrumors regular

The other day I was out and about and found myself needing to look up a word. So i went out and searched for an iphone dictionary. To my surprise, there wasn't a good one available. So I decided to build one myself. Today I finished up the application and released it to the iphone and ipod touch community (complete with webclip icon).

http://www.touchdictionary.com

If your like me and totally suck at spelling, then it should be a great program for you.

Let me know what you all feel about it.

Thanks,
    Cedric

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

It might be nice if you could fix up the interface to make it more visually pleasing. But it does work very well and is a very useful webapp. I've bookmarked it on my iPhone. :)

3. DataThief macrumors member

Nice App, I like the web interface as it is. Simple. Now on my home screen.

Thanks

4. kamakalama macrumors newbie

Good job! I like it too. Thanks. Just a few comments

- if there is no match found in the dictionary, the app. might issue a message saying nothing found

- some words return too much. it would be nice if you could select an alternate abridged dictionary

Jeff

5. cis4life thread starter macrumors regular

Great Suggestions

I went ahead and implimented the "no matches found" message for searches returning nothing.

I'm also looking into some other dictionaries as well as multi-languages and a medical dictionary.

Thanks, and I'm glad you all like the app.

Cedric

6. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

Since you asked for feedback...

I like the look of it. It's clean and simple like it should be.

The only problems I see:

1. The source you're using appears questionable. The first word I typed in, mispell, which is misspelled appeared correct based on the webapp's feedback - it's not.

2. There is no error feedback. I typed in speling which is also misspelled and your webapp just returned me to the word entry screen.

Personally, I'm not too sure it would help someone who sucks at spelling. I think the iPhone's smart text entry is pretty good at that job.

3. Searching derivatives of words results in returning to the home screen. Wondering how well it would define words for me, I looked up the word definitions. Nothing. It just returned me to the word entry screen. Part of the beauty of digital dictionaries are their ability to redirect word derivatives to their root.

4. Once you type in a word, there are no links, not even when it lists "see:" other words. Not really sure what makes it a touch dictionary.

I typed in three words, mispell, speling, definitions. I didn't get the results I expected on any of them.

EDIT: I see you've already added a "no matches found" notification - excellent.

7. cis4life thread starter macrumors regular

I agree with some of your suggestions.

I'm now working on a auto-suggest feature to help pick the correct spelling of words.

Should have this up and running soon.

Cedric

8. notnek macrumors 6502

notnek

9. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

looks really good!! wish i could do something even a simple app:(

10. punter macrumors 6502