Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
I've had the iPhone 4 since launch day, and I can tell you that the antenna issue is nothing similar to other phones. I've gone through blackberries, 3 iPhones, and a few crappy flip phones, none of which dropped 2-3 bars while holding normally. It would be one thing if the bars were dropping, and 3G speeds didn't noticeably slow down, but that's not the case. I can begin loading a page in safari while the phone is sitting on a table, and almost immediately when I pick it up with my hands the page stops loading. It's ridiculous. And yes, I have a bumper on too! I was thinking that I might switch back to my 3GS, but the screen looks like something from the dark ages now that I've used the 4 for about a month. The samsung captivate looks pretty nice, but I'm pretty intimidated by android. I think that throwing away all the money I've spent on apps for the iPhone is not a very smart thing to do. So pretty much I'm stuck. Everything about the new iPhone is awesome, so it's a shame that the antenna has to ruin it (for me at least). Camera is great, screen unmatched, and face time is really cool! Is anybody in the same position as me? If so, what are you going to do? I'm not really sure what the best thing is at this point.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I'm gonna keep mine though and deal with bumper, unless palm decides they want to announce something in the next 2 weeks.

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
Damn skippy the Apple :apple: Cool Aid / Heroin runs deep within the users veins. ;)

What are you talking about? I quoted what you have wrote and added but you know you wont because that was what is in the end of the iPhone antenna song played on the conference yesterday.

AshStorm

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2010
I've had the iPhone 4 since launch day, and I can tell you that the antenna issue is nothing similar to other phones. I've gone through blackberries, 3 iPhones, and a few crappy flip phones, none of which dropped 2-3 bars while holding normally. It would be one thing if the bars were dropping, and 3G speeds didn't noticeably slow down, but that's not the case. I can begin loading a page in safari while the phone is sitting on a table, and almost immediately when I pick it up with my hands the page stops loading. It's ridiculous. And yes, I have a bumper on too! I was thinking that I might switch back to my 3GS, but the screen looks like something from the dark ages now that I've used the 4 for about a month. The samsung captivate looks pretty nice, but I'm pretty intimidated by android. I think that throwing away all the money I've spent on apps for the iPhone is not a very smart thing to do. So pretty much I'm stuck. Everything about the new iPhone is awesome, so it's a shame that the antenna has to ruin it (for me at least). Camera is great, screen unmatched, and face time is really cool! Is anybody in the same position as me? If so, what are you going to do? I'm not really sure what the best thing is at this point.

I've had 2 Blackberries, 1 previous iPhone, 2 generic phones. The 2 BB's in particular were picky about signal strength and that was on Verizon. I've had less dropped calls on my i4 than I have my 3gs. I attribute this more to the network than the phone.

maddux2005

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
If you don't want an iPhone 4 (don't buy it)
If you bought one and ya don't like it (bring it back)
Bring it back
Bring it back
Back to the apple store

BlondeBuddhist

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2010
I am flabbergasted with this sort of question.

Listen to Jonathan Mann.. He has your answer.

Blonde Buddhist

Sledutah

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Utah
I called and set up my return yesterday after we all got scolded by the almighty one, saying we were all stupid. I reactivated my 3gs, when I get my contract cancelled I'm going to be looking for something else. I played with the Captivate yesterday at the att store. I think I'm going to give it a try.

The iP4 is an cool gadget, but it fails miserably as a phone. I could lay the phone in my open hand and the data rate would reduce to almost nothing. The proximity sensor issue was the last straw. So with all the bugs the phone has, they come out with a update that tells you the correct signal your getting :rolleyes:

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT

There are actually several things you can do but it appears like everyone else you just will not return the phone because it works so well in so many other ways at you are ready to sacrifice the main purpose or function of the device for the other things you appear to have far more interest in. *And this my friend is exactly why Steve Jobs did such a great job yesterday pointing to the facts as they exist after 26 days. No one is returning the phone. Had we all massively returned the phone, well history would be just a little different right now, hypothetically.

But no one did, and no one is and whats worse their selling like no tomorrow.*

So: * **
1. You can keep it and quit complaining and posting about the antenna, we know all about it now and are sick to death of the complainers out there. * *

The fact that you do not have one iota of faith or belief in a man who gave you pretty the bottom line on the facts surrounding the phone in a clear, well thought out empirically based presentation is something you should really perhaps examine. *One might ask oneself why would this man lie? *What would be the rational behind that, is there some massive coverup going on that would rival the grassy knoll? *

Is there some kind of devious threat looming around the corner in the guise of a hardware update secretly being worked on by Apple as i sit here gripping and squeezing the life out of my iPhone 4 that I should be concerned about?

2. If you don't like it you don't have to keep it. RETURN IT! *You have mentioned in your post several very rational alternatives to the iPhone 4 which are available to you or just use your 3GS until whenever the next iPhone is released some time next year.*

Then think of it, all of this will no longer be of any concern to you. *You won't have to come on here endlessly checking for some news about this device, some new piece of rumor mongering tidbit that will no doubt cause you to have some kind of spasm. It will be a great relief to no longer have to worry about a device that clearly does not work for you as a phone, all those worries will disappear, all the anxiety this has caused you, gone in an instant! *Oh happy day!

Then you can go back to the dark ages as you say for a while or try another device, he'll I hear their putting the apple os on some other phones, do a little research you never know what you will find out there, there has to be something better that will suit your specific needs. *I mean if Steve Jobs has lost all credibility with you, why would you keep it, do you like all the anxiety it causes you?

I don't think you will return it, you'll keep it and always be unsatisfied because you have very little faith in what was presented to you, so it will always be nagging you in the back of your mind. *Had you taken the time to think about this, look at what was said, how it was said and took a long look at this logically taking everything into account you might try employing some of the faith you now clearly lack.

Why would he lie? *Is he a dishonest person?

I for one really don't think so, i think ere are a lot of them out there, and a great deal of them run major corporations, but I just have a hard time wrapping my mind around the possibility that he is one of them. If that's your mind set perhaps you need to explore that a little and try to understand why you might feel that way, what was it the leads you to this thought process. *

It just may be very illuminating for you and many others here to engage in that kind of internal dialog and take a long hard look at what is actually going on subconsciously that continues this cycle of insanity of indecision on your parts.

Make one, a decision and learn to live by it. It will no doubt reduce your anxiety, free up some time and bring you and many others some peace.*

Good luck. * *

Cancelled
May 21, 2009
I'm not really sure what the best thing is at this point.

This might help...
211_kleenex.jpg

Pravda

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Philly
Why don't you return and exchange it for another iphone4?
Maybe you just got unlucky with the first batch.
Or exchange it for a newer iphone and if the issue persists, hopefully by then if available, get a nice case for it.

I just noticed i have similar issues with my 3Gs when holding it naked, i guess i never noticed a problem because it has always been in a case.

If you can deal with a case, then as many here pointed out, change to a different phone.

Yuriy S

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2010

I brought AT&T MicroCell ( no monthly plan). iPhone 4 looses signal only in the area with low reception.

Mikey B

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
the island
IF I was in the OP's shoes, I'd return it and see what the Samsung Galaxy is all about. Otherwise I'd drop AT&T and get an EVO.

But I'm quite happy with my iP4 no matter what Steve or anyone else says.

Block

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
If you are unhappy you should return it. But I bet you'll end up keeping it because you actually like the phone so much that you're willing to deal with this "reception issue". :rolleyes:

jsfpa

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2003
Same experience as the OP but returned it before I got too addicted to the other new features, now back to my original iPhone. Agree about the apps etc plus I use MobileMe to sync contacts and calendars so don't want an Android phone. My local ATT store tells me they have plenty of 3GS in stock including 32gig so I may do that but that would lock me in to another 2 years before upgrading and suppose Apple really does correct the ip4 antenna issue before then... Right now I'm just staying with my original naked iPhone that actually makes and receives calls while I am holding it in my hand.

This is one of the most sensible posts I've seen on the subject. Tried it, wasn't satisfied, took it back. Enough said.

onesweetearl

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2010
i'll be glad when all this blows over and dumb threads like this don't populate the first page... jeez just take it back seriously, i have an iphone 4 i love it, the proximity issue is my biggest concern but i trust they'll fix it. please just return and stop being stupid

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA

If you are claiming that you can stop the data with a bumper on, then i'm having a real hard time believing you.

CLuv

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2007
Northern VA, USA
It's not possible, another phone losing signals due to the "death grip" and this is from 5/26 before the iPhone 4 release. I thought it only happened to Apple with all the press coverage. I mean, it was a national disaster of epic proportion. This is worse then the oil spill in the Gulf. This guy even has a microcell in his home based upon his video. Sounds like Nokia made a critical error in designing a phone with an internal antenna. Where was the media outcry for their big boy phone? Class-action lawsuit? No free case? Allowed to return it and get a full refund for the phone and no penalty for getting out of the 2 year contract? How could Nokia let something like this happen? Don't they test their phones before going to market? They should have know about this, I can't believe they released this device with this known flaw. I demand a recall! It's the only way they can rebuild my trust in order for me to not purchase their phone since I never planned to buy one. It's about time they get knocked down a notch, thinking they're so great with their phones all these years. I don't own the phone, but it keeps dropping calls and I'm so angry about it. I'm going to get on every forum I can and blog to let people know that it keeps dropping calls when I hold it a particular way even though I don't own one myself, but I heard it does all of the time.

Oh that's right, Nokia is an after thought and is now a blimp on the cell phone radar, you're no media darling so you don't generate hits on blogs and other media outlets for income.

OMG!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amPG52DVQuk&feature=player_embedded

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.