Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macanadian

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2006
BC
So here's the question: am I really alone out there? Are there other mac users like me who can't understand the appeal of photography?

U could like doing Video's or music. Or you like using Mac's because of being fed up with PC's, like me.

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
I've been a mac user for a while, and I can't help but notice that most mac users are into photography. No surprise, seeing that Apple is in the photography software business itself. I thought that some of this culture would bleed onto me when I switched to the mac, but it never has. At this time of writing, I have exactly 14 photos on my mac.

Maybe it's because my whole family is like this. My brother is a bit better than me, with about 50 photos. My mother and father bought a digital camera, did 20 test photos of our dog, and then never used it again. My grandmother is an architect, which would suggest she does a lot of photography. Not so. About 86 at last count (all of houses of course). Honesty I'm surprised I even have baby pictures. Not that I'd care if I didn't.

So here's the question: am I really alone out there? Are there other mac users like me who can't understand the appeal of photography?

I wouldn't go as far as saying that "most" mac users are into photography. Perhaps I could agree with "many photographers use Macs". To me that's quite a difference, but, anyhoo:

You're not alone.
I am not really into photography. Not at all. I however, have begun taking more and more photos for certain situtations.

Wait, I think I need to preamble this:
I was never into photography, nor television. But even though I spend much time listening to radio documentaries and the sorts, I wanted to do journalism in writing. Turned out I had flair for radio (for obvious reasons). From then on, I did radio, and only when aboslutely necessary did I do anything in writing, and this usually involved some pro photographer.

In recent years, though, the radio niche I used to worked in has more or less been shut down, and since I care more about the stories than the medium I have had to branch out.
Today, for the sake of saving some money we have to be able to do it all. Media convergence is here, and unfortunately that's the way to go and how to work.

I do written stuff (newspapers, magazines, web), I do radio, I'll even do a stand up or a reportage for telly if need be.

Now, I know you're thinking "Why the f... does he share all that irrelevant stuff?"

Well, I'm in the mood to do so, but also to tell you that even if I still don't like taking pictures, I do like delivering a good product. And photography, like many other things, is (or can be - depending on what it's for) a learned skill – much of it is a technical skill. I'm lucky that I can use some of the radio skills in photography, but still, it's just knowing the ropes.

This skill is the part I like. I don't like "artsy fartsy" types, but I do like that with knowledge I can make something that can compete with pro press photographers for the most part (notice how I didn't say "the best of the pros").

Well, in short, I never take pictures for my own use. I only take pictures for work. For vacation snapshots and the like I do audio instead. It's much more personal if done properly.

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
The problem as I see it is that people with hundreds or thousands stored is that they don't know how to edit! I remember the days when you would be invited over to a friends house to see a slide show of their latest vacation. Picture upon picture of nearly the same thing, usually their kids. I get it! Have you ever heard the word brevity?

It has long been said:

"The difference between an amateur and a Pro is the size of their trash can"

The best way to have another person really honestly enjoy your photos is to take the time to cull down through them yourself ... beforehand ... and show them merely the best. Or better yet, the best of the best.

Now it is hard to be 'tough' on yourself to limit what you show others. However, in the long run it pays off, as it helps you learn from your shots, in terms of what works and what doesn't...as well as being a more pleasant experience for the person you're showing them too.

Its hard to put a number on how much you should cull out. As a rule of thumb, I'd say it should always be at least 50% cut, as this forces me to make decisions. With modern techniques, its easier to get the basics of exposure correct (or fixed), so the question turns more to composition, presentation and of course, exploitation of presented opportunities.

But 50% is only a starting point. At times, I've done 95% cut / 5% kept for land photography, and for Underwater, at times I've gone for an entire week of diving and only ended up with 1 or 2 shots that I really thought were really worthwhile - - although this was with 35mm slide film, so many fewer shots/day and greater criticality on nailing the exposure (so most subjects were if possible, bracketed).

-hh

okrelayer

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2008
i am not huge into photography. I do like taking pictures (of objects, and memories), and i do save nice photos i find over the net ect. I dont think its strange that you dont use your mac for photos.

Iv edited ONE movie on my Mac since owning it (10 min clip), and macs are pretty big in the video editing side of things, does that make me a bad mac user?! haha

I do however use the Mac for recording,and editing songs A LOT. Each computer user (mac or pc) has their interests. Its not strange that someone would have a Mac and not do anything with photos, which is why apple has the iLife suit. It covers just about all of the basics of the niche digital needs. I can assume just about anyone that spends over 1000 dollars on a computer will get bigtime use out of atleast ONE of those!

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
What is your definition of "being into photography"

what you describe is taking pictures of events, and memories.

My mother isn't into photography the way I am/was -- but her photo collection is probably much larger then mine, and I don't just mean on her hard drive, but in albums and scrap books -- we have boxes of negatives just in case something goes awry with the prints.

She takes pictures for the memories.

I don't think you're insane for not being into the "art" of photography.

but i'm going to echo that I believe you'll regret not taking more pictures.

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
but i'm going to echo that I believe you'll regret not taking more pictures.

That certainly depends who you are. For instance, I have less than ten private paper photos and although I have a lot (for me) in digital format, I think no more than five of those are private.
And yes, I'm serious.

Oh, sh! I forgot: I have like 30 passport photos, do they count ;-)

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
That certainly depends who you are. For instance, I have less than ten private paper photos and although I have a lot (for me) in digital format, I think no more than five of those are private.
And yes, I'm serious.

Oh, sh! I forgot: I have like 30 passport photos, do they count ;-)

Well ... My grandfather hated having his picture taken, and thought it was a waste of time ... but when he got into his late sixties early 70's he started asking why they didn't take more photo's.

The only people that didn't care about his "no taking photo's of me" thing ... was my mother, and myself < --- and now the bulk of the pictures of my grandfather that my grandmother has as memories of my grandfather are taken by me or my mom.

obviously one anecdote like this doesn't make a rule, but i'm already seeing a lot of my friends from university regret not taking more photos when we were in school.

I think it is a girl thing more to take pictures as memories (not to say that guys don't) but a lot more girls, and moms came into to buy cameras, film, memory cards, albums, picture frames. -- in fact just as I was leaving, the corporation that owned the store I worked at was changing it's marketing to appeal to the soccer mom, versus anyone else.

anyway ... i'm certainly not going to tell anyone to take more photo's -- if you don't want to. you don't want to ... but just something to mull over :)

cheers

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

Maybe I'm the same way. I'm not good at music. I can't play any instrument although I've actually tried a few times. I can't sing. Maybe it is because I can't recognize the difference between two notes. Is something wrong with me? I know that many, many other Mac owners are professional musicians. I thought that buying a mac would some how change me and make me better at music. I wonder why that did not happen.

People have different talents and interests. And you know what? Most people, even those who buy cameras don't use them except for a few times a year. Doing photography even half way seriously is not so common.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
I wanted to answer when this thread was first created but left it till now to think about it. The best part is nobody has said it yet either. :)

You might think there IS something wrong with you because photography is so easy but don't 'do it'. People have made comparisons to other interests but they are not truly valid. For example:

I love music, I have 1000's of songs, none of them are mine.
I love photography, I have 1000's of photos, they are all mine.

What is the difference between the two? Ease of use. I can't figure out how to play a guitar, I gave it a chance, all musical instruments require time. But with one button I can take a photo 5 minutes after buying it from the camera shop. With music I have to either go to music school or teach myself. Photography produces instant results and the way you improve is different to any other art. It's been said to me that photography is the one art where you don't need to go to school, nothing separates the pro from the amateur other skill a keen eye or the right moment. Give a camera to a child and they've cracked it, give the same child a keyboard and they'll get back to you in due time.

The same goes with fishing or any of the other examples thus far.

So in answer to your question with the original intention of defending you, I have to do the opposite and attack by saying, yes there is something wrong with you. Get off your ass and buy a camera! :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.