Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2010
I don't even know what LiDAR means, i just want to know how compact is the 5.4'' display is going to be, i think this is going to be very interesting to know, especially since it's going to be a new size....

I'm disappointed no rumours yet about that....does anyone care?

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I don't even know what LiDAR means, i just want to know how compact is the 5.4'' display is going to be, i think this is going to be very interesting to know, especially since it's going to be a new size....

Will be in SE body....from recent renders

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
120hz Display will just eat up battery life. I have a 120hz IPad Pro and I have no idea when the 120hz is being used or not. Only useful in Movies or Game, with a phone do you really need 120hz Display when Texting, or ordering Uber eats ?

Scrolling it’s very noticeable which is it’s main pull for most.

Apple wouldn’t release it if battery life can’t stay the same. 4400 rumoured battery for pro max should help

Sure you don’t need it but once you have it you won’t want to be without it

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
Scrolling it’s very noticeable which is it’s main pull for most.

Apple wouldn’t release it if battery life can’t stay the same. 4400 rumoured battery for pro max should help

Sure you don’t need it but once you have it you won’t want to be without it

I shared this in another thread but 120hz is no game changing feature, I have it on my S20 but could certainly live without it. It’s definitely a nice experience but as you said its only really scrolling that it’s noticed which isn’t that big a deal, I don’t read feeds as they’re moving.

When video or games start to use higher refresh rates it’ll be worth it but until then it’s just a nice to have, certainly not something worth upgrading for alone.

arfbsantoso

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2019
120hz Display will just eat up battery life. I have a 120hz IPad Pro and I have no idea when the 120hz is being used or not. Only useful in Movies or Game, with a phone do you really need 120hz Display when Texting, or ordering Uber eats ?

Totally agree!

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
I would imagine 120hz displays in the next iphone would be an important step for Apple, as they want to push their Apple Arcade service further.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
They weren’t worrying, that was declared in the title of the thread lol.
True.
They also stated there have been no rumors of the size when we have actual side by side comparisons, so I guess I didn’t know where OP’s head was at and was just making sure OP was comforted.

Last edited:

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
I wouldn't mind having it but at the same time I don't care? Lol.

IMO, it's nothing compared to resolution, contrast, sharpness, brightness, color/HDR screen in terms of generation jumps.

The thing is, Apple cannot have ANY lag whatsoever on a 120hz display. I've played around with Android handsets that have 120hz and the UI lag is even more jarring in 120hz. Imagine navigating in extremely smooth and fast motions and then hit with frame drops out of no where for no reason at all.

Reactions: Vanilla35

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I wouldn't mind having it but at the same time I don't care? Lol.

IMO, it's nothing compared to resolution, contrast, sharpness, brightness, color/HDR screen in terms of generation jumps.

The thing is, Apple cannot have ANY lag whatsoever on a 120hz display. I've played around with Android handsets that have 120hz and the UI lag is even more jarring in 120hz. Imagine navigating in extremely smooth and fast motions and then hit with frame drops out of no where for no reason at all.
120hz with lag? I find that hard to believe...

Do I think 120hz will be smoother on iPhones than android devices? Yeah I do but 120hz are very smooth on android devices as well

TomOSeven

Suspended
Jul 4, 2017

You have no idea what you're talking about, movies are probably the area where high FPS is the least useful.

Reactions: Marlon DLTH :)

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2010
Why does it have to be slightly larger than SE1 and slightly smaller than SE2?

I think it should be exactly like SE1 body size, but full screen or less bezel

Then in 2021 then they can do mini version with the same compact size of iPhone 4

Sorry if i scared ppl who are looking for the 6.7'' iPhones lol

Corncab44

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2020
I currently have a Galaxy S20, and 120hz is really a wonderful feature. Yes, maybe I would never have known I wanted it, but having experienced it, there's no going back. That said, I'm going to return it and hold out for the Iphone 12 Pro this fall, which hopefully will have the same feature. I prefer IOS, but have always found Galaxy screens to be better, hoping this time the gap won't be so large.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I would imagine 120hz displays in the next iphone would be an important step for Apple, as they want to push their Apple Arcade service further.

Solid point about Apple Arcade. And I imagine when they actually have a ‘demo reel‘ on stage, it’s likely to show a lot of gaming demos posting the new Promotion display.

Reactions: Truefan31

benshive

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2017
United States
Movies and TV shows are usually shot at 24fps so they're not taking advantage of the higher fresh rate. Even a 60fps video isn't going to take advantage of the 120hz display. It's things like scrolling and animations where it makes a huge difference. You're so used to the higher refresh rate you probably don't notice the impact it's having. On your iPad scroll through some menus, go through app pages, etc., then go to Settings > Accessibility > Motion and check off limit frame rate and do the same thing. Pretty noticeable difference.

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Having measured an old SE I have in a drawer the new 5.4 will not be in that exact sized body I am sure but it certainly wont be too far off!

I would have preferred they kept a 5.8 in the lineup. Even if it was the pro..

Reactions: John dosh

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2010
September is in 10 days and we still don't have a clear idea of the dimensions of the 5.4'' iPhone.......

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004

Ya I agreed. I don’t care. I want awesome lowlight and great battery life. But then again my xs max had been pretty good. Minus the battery life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.