I don't care if the next iPhone is plastic but...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSpaz, May 14, 2009.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

...for goodness sake, make it matte again! Please! I can't get over how much I hate glossy plastic. It seems like every phone now-a-days has this glossy black plastic that attracts fingerprints and greasy hands like crazy!

If they can't use metal for reception reasons, then at least use a plastic that I WANT to touch. Yeah, the iPhone LOOKS sexy right after you clean it... but geeze, don't touch it or it's ruined.

Does anyone else feel this way?

I love Apple and their products but the iPhone 3G was a step backward in design. However, I do like the tapered back and the added reception.

I guess the thing that would make the iPhone 3G better would be make the plastic matte and make that plastic stronger so that it doesn't crack... ever. I've never seen a phone so prone to cracking... and most of the cracks that people are getting are just from using the phone normally and not from dropping it.

Maybe in the next version, they can make the casing really strong and put a drop sensor inside the phone that the Apple diagnostic software can read when you bring your iPhone in for replacements.

2. iGeRmAn macrumors regular

What do you mean by matte again ?

It never was before.

And there is an easy rule : form follows function

this includes the choice of materials, but you are right, the glossy plastic sucks

3. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Matte would be a great addition to the rumored iPhone this summer. :D All those fingerprints are somewhat maddening.

4. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

When was it matte? The first generation had a full matte back. There was the aluminum with a matte finish and then the matte black plastic antenna cover at the bottom. Tell me you've seen an original iPhone before. I like the look and feel of those. They never get dirty!

Another thing to mention is my iPhone 3G is always getting lint and dust stuck to the plastic from static cling but, I never have to wipe dust off of the back of my first generation iPhone. It's like teflon... nothing sticks to it!

Also, your rule about "Form follows function" is completely backwards when you're talking about Apple. They'll do something in favor of design before they make it practical. I'm thinking about the recessed headphone jack on the first generation iPhone.

5. iGeRmAn macrumors regular

This does not belong to the form but making money. ;)

6. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

agreed...a matte black would make me upgrade my gen 1 in a heartbeat!!!

Cheers.

-J.-

7. iPhoneNYC macrumors 6502a

iPhoneNYC

My 1st gen is matte alum and glossy black - always has been.

8. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

I must wash my hands more than anyone else I know, yet if I hand my iPhone to anyone I feel very embarrassed because of the greasy prints on it.

Well I used to. It's now slipped inside a Griffin Nu Form Grey/Black plastic case.

[​IMG]
    Now it's just the prints and facial grease on the screen to get embarrassed about :(

9. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

So, if Apple were to introduce the next iPhone with the option to drop the GPS and add the aluminum back, would you consider it? Just curious...

I think I would. I rarely use GPS and I miss the look and feel of my 1st gen.

10. pauliphone macrumors regular

I would at the moment, but if 3.0 includes turn-by-turn then I would use the GPS a lot more.

11. SuperKat macrumors regular

I Hear You

I hate the fingerprints, cheek smudges, etc.
    I love my iPhone but sometimes it makes me feel like I have OCD.

12. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

The black bottom is supposed to be matte. Mine is, but my girlfriend must have worn the matte finish off hers because it's kind of shiny.

13. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Matte plastics will absorb finger oils over time and become a bit glossy.

14. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

That's nice and all, but I hate cases and the added bulk. I don't wanna cover my iPhone up... I want an iPhone 3G with a matte black or silver back. Maybe they can have 3 styles: glossy black, glossy white, or matte silver. Sounds good to me!

15. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Your user name indicates that you know what you're talking about ;)

16. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

One might infer such things. :D

17. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

I wish Apple would go back to a metal case or maybe carbon fiber. Ya know, there were a few articles a couple of weeks ago about Apple patents for carbon fiber shells. I think they were referring to maybe macbooks, but that could extend through thier other products as well.

18. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

I know exactly what you mean. That's why I put a matte Black Power Support Air Jacket on it. Not really to protect it, as it's as thin as it could be, whilst providing the minimum of bulk possible - but to give added grip, that the glossy plastic doesn't provide.

19. Jumpman2033 macrumors regular

Would love a matte iphone. Also, i would love an iphone that didn't require a case (yes i know, you don't NEED one, but my wife is very clumsy). She drops her Xenon almost every day and is still functional and everything in tact. I have a feeling the iphone (ip4 especially) would not survive such a beating.