I don't feel like updating my iPhone to iOS 7...

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by sentinelsx, Jun 10, 2013.

1. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Because those new icons make the home screen look ever more cheesy. I think the current look is even better.

I have seen subtle dreamboard themes which look better, no offense but really...

Atleast give us option to move icons as we please, instead of them staying together.

And then the control system concept is nice, but still looks ugly to me. The ncsettings jailbreak tweak is so much more streamlined, and something I though apple would go for.

Still no pop up SMS option.

That clunky "tap home button twice" is still there (I bet Samsung and htc will again copy that too again next year, by forcing us to double tap their home buttons for recent apps, opposed to google's much more fluid single tap).

Air drop is worthless to me having a pc.

But the notification center is sexy, the apps are much better, and the auto updating apps and multitasking areas are nicely done.

Looks like apple finally caved in to tech bloggers and news agencies with all their focus on tearing ios apart because "ios is stale".

Ugh. Where is Steve jobs?

2. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Visually, there's parts I like and dislike. Overall, it's a positive refresh/upgrade but feature wise, it's still lacking some very basic features.

3. sentinelsx thread starter macrumors 68010

It looks like holo and touchwiz had a baby...

Since when did apple need to appease the "designers" on the tech sites? The icons are a mess.

Lets see if google also disappoints with KLP. Microsoft and bb are really idiots for not seizing the chance here.

4. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

thats quite a snide remark to make especially if it shows your lack of knowledge about non-IOS devices.

contrary to your claim. Windows phones back arrow shows recently used apps in a card like format, much like Palm Webos. this is what IOS7 is now offering.

samsung/htc AND other Android phones had this feature for,...i dunno.. a year and half already? maybe more.. also its not single tap. you press and hold the home icon for 2/3 seconds which shows recently used apps visually. Its an android feature. not exclusive to samsung or htc.

5. Fernandez21 macrumors 68040

Fernandez21

I really like it, except the color palette they used, looks like an easter theme.

6. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

As the saying goes lately, "maybe ill wait for iOS 8 to wow me and we will get more features".

7. sentinelsx thread starter macrumors 68010

I am talking about double tapping home on htc one which is as annoying as double tapping the home button on iPhone.

I thought 4.1.2 update to s3 changed the recent apps to double tap? May be I missed it, coz by that time I was running slim bean anyway lol.

Still, double tap or hold are very clunky compared to a simple swipe or one tap to reveal all apps.

8. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

The new iOS7 design doesn't impress me at all, I'm disappointed.

9. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Interesting article on the verge. Josh topolsky not a big fan of iOS 7. He brings up good points.

http://theverge.com/apple/2013/6/10/4416726/the-design-of-ios-7-simply-confusing

10. Lava Lamp Freak macrumors 65816

iOS 7 didn't address any of the things I dislike about iOS. Third-party apps still can't integrate at a deeper level. You still can't change default apps. And the icons... Oh Gawd, the icons.

11. Kariya macrumors 68000

Kariya

*shrug* i updated and i love it. From icon to gradient to new functionality.

Different strokes...

If my HTC One hadn't gone beyone the return period i'd return it in a heartbeat and go back to iPhone exclusively. Even though i'd miss the screen and boom stereo sound.

12. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

I can appreciate ios 7 for dedicated ios users but for android users? I just don't see the draw. There's nothing mind blowingly new that android didn't already have or can do. And there are still major downgrades by switching back (keyboard, for example). Even if you like the new icons that much I'm sure an icon pack will come out very soon in the play store.

Suit yourself, of course. Just sharing my thoughts.

13. Kariya macrumors 68000

Kariya

No arguments that Android still offers...'more' overall. But i maybe use 60% of Android's functionality anyway so its a fairly moot point. Having the sharing options and assigning apps would be nice for example.

Funny enough i prefer iOS's keyboard and text manipulation in general to Androids. Even moreso with iOS 7. Of course Swype/Swiftkey are nice and the HTC's keyboard is very good. But i'm still more efficient and quicker with iOS probably because of muscle memory.

The number 1 draw for me on iOS is iMessage since everyone i know is on it. Then there's believe it or not...iTunes. I just haven't had luck with Google Play Music. Tracks randomly go missing and refuse to offline sync. Tracks that iTunes has no issue with even though i didn't buy them from iTunes. Finally the Camera...no comparison in most cases. I sacrificed all these for the HTC One because i just couldn't bear to use the iOS in its iOS 6 iteration but iOS 7 addresses my major frustrations.

In the end i'll end up keeping both devices anyway and alternate (next up Android 4.3). But its no longer as much of a slam dunk for the HTC One as it was up until 11 hrs ago.

14. Mochi Hana macrumors 6502a

Mochi Hana

Same here. Although I love the new typography, fundamentally iOS still has things I want to see improved, such as changing default apps, alternative keyboards, etc...

15. Sensamic macrumors 68030

That's what I've been saying all afternoon!!

The new look is confusing, the colors are too shiny and ugly and neon looking. Instead of a good looking UI now it's kind of pastel and children like.

Will Cook also fire Johnny after this disaster?

16. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

Disaster? iOS 6 was a disaster. This was a huge step forward for iOS. I say that as an HTC One user.

17. Jibbajabba macrumors 65816

In IOS 8 Apple will have innovated widgets.

18. aristobrat macrumors G4

Did they even demo Air Drop with a computer? All of the examples I've seen so far show it for transferring items between phones, not computers. It's the Samsung Galaxy S Beam "bump to share" feature, but it appears to use Bluetooth instead of NFC, so you don't actually have to bump phones.

Probably. At least during this keynote, I don't remember hearing anyone from Apple use the word "innovate" when talking about iOS 7 finally getting the features (like Control Center) that Android has had in some fashion for years. That's a bit different from when Steve would spin his RDF, making stuff seem Apple was the first to ever do it.

19. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

Oh you. So what did the Goog innovate and unveil at IO? Cloud game data? Achievement for games? How about radio? Oh I know, messages. I don't get how people don't have the mental capacity of distinguishing between a company saying they are innovative and them saying they invent everything.

20. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

I think he died mate.

21. Jibbajabba macrumors 65816

I was being sarcastic.

22. mattroman246 macrumors 6502

mattroman246

23. carelesswhisper macrumors member

I just realized I posted this is the wrong thread. But anyone reading this one who can help, I'd still appreciate :)

For everyone having severe battery drainage, what were your steps to resolve it? I just don't feel like reading through all 29 or so pages...
    But my battery life SUCKS. Way worse than the iOS 6 beta. I've already tried resetting network settings and that didn't seem to do anything.

24. PrometheusGeek macrumors regular

lol... well, I'm not impressed with his points. Besides which, as The Verge's own homepage shows, they've got no business critiquing the physical appearance of anything. The retro-70s, neuvo-hippy look of the Verge is a completely different design perspective, and is a cluttered mess of ugly colors and overused translucency. Talk about confusing! If they think they're own site is NOT confusing, then I'm not bothered by their opinion that someone else's design paradigm is confusing. If Starsky and Hutch over there don't get minimalism and simplicity, I'm not worried.

25. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

Doesn't seem that way. If so, it flew right through me!