i dont get spaces?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MAcNIAC, Nov 22, 2007.

1. MAcNIAC macrumors regular

Hi all - i just dont understand spaces. how is it supposed to be used? i guess i dont really understand the advantage - why not just have all your apps open and use the dock to switch to the app you want at the time. it seems that spaces just means i have to remember what is in each space ???

who uses it, how and why ?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I don't now (due to Quicksilver), but I used to use VirtueDesktops - it was nice having Windows fullscreen as well as OSX...

I also had games on one desktop, and work stuff on another, so I could quickly change to work when a teacher came round the classroom :)

3. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

The whole point of Spaces is that it's there if you need it. You very well could keep all your apps in one space and hide them or use the Dock as necessary. If that works for you, that's great. But for some people, they use as many as four to five Spaces to keep better organized. I like keeping my virtual machines maximized in a Space, I like to use another to organize all my web browsers and Mail, another for all the iWork/iLife apps, etc.

Also, you don't need to remember what each Space each app is in because when you click on the Dock icon or use the Cmd+Tab shortcut to select an app, you are automatically taken to the Space that it's in.

4. osirisX macrumors regular

I use it to group apps that do certain things. Minimizing to the Dock and then maximizing when I need the app is inefficient. This is how my apps are spread out.

Space 1: Space that I'm on most of the day/Internet stuff/Everything that isn't bound to a space usually ends up here.
    Safari
    Adium
    Colloquy

Space 2: Stuff that runs all day/Software Updating.
    Mail
    Schoolhouse
    Software Update
    Address Book
    Transmission
    NetNewsWire
    iCal
    AppFresh

Space 3: Media.
    iTunes
    AppFresh
    Disk Utility
    Toast
    AutoRate
    HandBrake

Space 4: Work.
    Adobe CS3.
    iWork.
    Developer Tools.
    GarageBand.

Every Space: Apps that I need no matter what Space I'm on.
    DVD Player
    QuickShareIt

5. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Spaces is brilliant!

I have Mail set to open in one space safari in another, my design apps in another window and iTunes in a 4th. You can zoom out to see all the spaces and choose which you want to go to. You can use the keyboard shortcut, set up your mouse to switch through your spaces or just click the app in the dock to go straight to that app.

I can't imagine not having spaces now :p

6. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

Everyone has a different way to use it... And remember, most of us use four spaces but you can have sixteen.

Space 1: My everyday. Just about everything is in it.

Space 2: Vista running full-screen in VMWare Fusion.
    Space 3: Ubuntu running full-screen in VMWare Fusion.
    I don't really use either, but the "wow" factor is nice when I'm showing off the capabilities of the MBP to potential switchers.

Space 4: Activity monitor, console, terminal, iStumbler

7. MAcNIAC thread starter macrumors regular

OK I'll give you it's a slick way to change between OSes.

but it seems like a bit of work to set it up for a lot of different apps in multiple spaces - If you reboot do you lose all that and have to set it up again?

8. osirisX macrumors regular

Once the apps have been bound to a space they will always open in that space unless you change the setting for that app. It is a little bit of work to set it up, but totally worth it when you have done it.

[​IMG]