I dont get the change ?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Geoff., Jun 9, 2009.

1. Geoff. macrumors 6502

Geoff.

After thinking abit about it last night i dont get why apple made a 13inch macbook pro. They should have got rid of the odd one out of the line of notebooks the whitebook ( i didnt want them to but it made sence ) and kept the unibody macbook.

So they would have had a line of macbooks that all look somewhat the same

uMacbook
    MacbookPro - Bigger screen, more power
    Macbook Air - Thinner, Lighter

And they could have updated these.

Now the white polycarbonate is the only macbook, it looks complety out of place and the 13inch model is considered a pro yet it has a small screen. I dont think it really fits. A 'pro' machine should only have the big 15inch / 17inch screen with great power. People say its just for marketing and it seems to be working anyway :p Just my opinions. What you think ?

2. nerdish macrumors regular

I dont see how the 13" screen can be classed as a Pro machine, the screen is way too small to do any real work on!

But now they have isolated the WhiteBook into the "MacBook" category, i hope they bring back the BlackBook to spice up the range.

3. Sijmen macrumors 6502a

It has all the features of the other MPBs with the screen as only big difference. And saying that no 'real work' can be done is bull, I even do real work on my PowerBook 12" still. Just not the video editing kind of 'real work'.

4. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

5. okatidubi macrumors regular

Here is a few of my reasons why they decided to do that.

#1. FireWire. People wanted FireWire. If they add FireWire 800 to the uMB alongside with the White MacBook that has FW400, it would be weird. I guess they want to leave FW400 for average users and FW800 for pro users.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#2. Let's say, after all the complaints, they decided to add in FW800. But Schiller (or anyone in the high position) decided to make it even more attractive by adding another feature that they consider "pro". In this case, it would be the SD card reader.

Since it has 2 new "pro" features, hence it's application for the MacBook Pro title is accepted. Once again, if they sell a uMB with FW800 and SD Card Reader along side with the White MacBook that has only FW400, it would be weird.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#3. Since the White MacBook is the only portable Mac that is able to sell under the sub-$1000 category and still gain a profit, they kept it. However, add another $200 and you'll be able to get a MacBook Pro with a faster FW and a SD card reader.

To "add insult to the injury", you'll also receive a 7-hour battery life, an unibody enclosure, LED screen, faster RAM, faster processor speed, multi-touch trackpad and a backlit keyboard (I think that's about it).

If you ask me, I would say it's a bloody good deal. If you do a comparison to have a unibody Mac laptop with the extra features (multi-touch trackpad etc.)...

2008: Low end Unibody MacBook (1299) - White MacBook (999) = Price difference of $300 *** NOTE: You will only receive the backlit keyboard if you chose the higher version priced at 1599.

2009: Low end Unibody MacBook Pro (1199) - White MacBook (999) = Price difference of $200

Although the difference between 2008 and 2009 is small, you'll be surprise this difference is big. Besides, having a computer named "MacBook Pro" makes one feel... better?

:)

6. em500 macrumors regular

That was probably the original plan, before the economy started going down the drain.

7. nerdish macrumors regular

Im a newspaper compositor, and find it hard to make a tabloid sized page on the 13" - its not practical - Pro machine my a$$.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The problem is that the difference between the MB and MBP was razor thin. Performance between the two was based on the small difference between the cpu clock rate. the major other differences was GPU & FW.

I like many people struggled at paying 2500 vs 1500 bucks. Back before the unibody design the difference between the two models was stark.

This was a smart marketing/strategy move by apple. The MacBook is back to being a small inexpensive laptop for students and the budget conscience and the MBPs have a variety of options, 13", 15" single GPU and double GPU.

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

for you it mightnt be a "Pro" machine, for others its fine. audio recording "Pro" users will find this machine very light and quite powerful, its powerful enough to render videos fairly (only just) quickly etcetc.

10. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I think that the new line up makes a lot more sense than what Apple had before.

Now we have:
    • MB (Plastic, full featured)
    • MBP (Aluminum, full featured)
    • MBA (Aluminum, light weight, no optical drive, FW, etc.)

This reminds me of the iBook and PowerBook line up that we had some years ago. In the MBP (used to be PowerBook) lineup we have 13, 15 and 17 inch models instead of the PowerBook 12, 15 and 17 inch models. In the MB (used to be iBook) lineup we have a 13 inch model instead of the iBook 12 and 14 inch models.

The uMB 13 never made sense to me. I really like the new lineup and am very glad to see the change! :)

11. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I wonder how many of you here were buying macs in the good old day of the 12" powerbook. That was a phenomenal machine. It was also a pro and very loved. Only downside to it was no backlit keyboard.

12. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The 13 now has a screen that can be considered professional.

13. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

I agree.