I don't get the point of

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by BrerSam, Jul 14, 2011.

1. BrerSam macrumors member

Launch Pad, What is the point of clicking it and then clicking your app when i can just click the folder at the bottom?

I thought it was going to be like a always on background kind of thing similar to how a idle iphone or ipad is, that i could see being kinda useful but as it is surely its pointless?

Also do you think most 3rd party things including games like WoW will have a full screen option at some point?

I can see it being useful but i hate having some windows still open and would prefer them all full screen except for messengers etc

2. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Nothing says you have to use it. AFAIK it's there to make the Mac more friendly to iOS users thinking of switching their computer to a Mac.

3. bozzykid macrumors 68020

I think it will be the least used new feature in Lion. It's like they only created it so they can advertise it's iOS heritage. But in reality it doesn't serve much of a purpose and using it on the desktop makes little sense.

4. mwxiao macrumors regular

I agree with you that Launch Pad is pretty useless and pointless right now. But you never know, maybe Apple will do something about it in the future.

One wild guess is that Apple may get rid of the file system some day and Launch Pad will be the only way you can launch an app. Sounds crazy but I believe this might be the future of Mac OS. It's like iOS. You won't be able to (or need to, as Apple would say) use Finder anymore. You use apps. Need a document? Open Page/Word/TextEdit. Listen to music? Open iTunes. Watch a movie? Open QT or iMovie. Wanna see a photo? Open iPhoto. You get the idea.

I think Apple would love to go this way because of the tight control over the system.

5. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

I keep forgetting about Launchpad's existence every now and then. Thanks to these occasional threads, I remember about it.

6. DreamscapeRuins macrumors member

DreamscapeRuins

I thought this too when I first saw the screenshots. I got a little disappointed about it. I really didn't want to clutter my background up with apps. Its cool on the iPhone/iPad, but IMO - its not a computer/desktop thing.

I'm glad its NOT that. I like it better hidden.

7. BrerSam thread starter macrumors member

I would prefer it if you swiped to the left like you can but instead of the dashboard with widgets which i find totally useless launch pad should be there IMO always on just a swipe to the left and all your apps on screen

8. nutmac macrumors 68040

My wish list for Launchpad:
    • Option to always show on the desktop
    • Spotlight integration (search box at the top, similar to System Preferences.app)
    • Option to make Launchpad system-wide (global) for all users
    • Option to automatically organize apps by category into folders
    • Remove triggers complete uninstall