i dont get virus with mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rickster360, Dec 12, 2009.

1. rickster360 macrumors newbie

ok, from what i hear i will not get a virus when using my new mac?
    only if i download windows will i need a anti-virus program. is it safe for me to do my banking online with my mac with out any anti-virus programs?. What will be some indications from my mac that something may be wrong(meaning phising or anything that could be harmful to my mac).
    just need to say this, i am 50 yrs old have used pc for the last 10 yrs and cannot believe i wont need anything to protect my computer from viruses or phising sites. i feel like a junkie who cant give it up. :)

2. PeteB macrumors 6502a

PeteB

The fact is that Macs suffer less from viruses than other platforms. This is mainly due to the fact that the other platforms (mainly Windows) are targeted more by virus creators.

However, this is no replacement for good online practice.

You can still be caught out by phishing attempts if you don't take care of links in emails.

Best practice is to log in to whatever website (eBay/Banking/Paypal) by going directly to the home page and not clicking on links in emails (unless you're pretty sure about the origin of the emails).

3. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

A computer virus is a computer program that can copy itself and infect a computer. The term "virus" is also commonly but erroneously used to refer to other types of malware, adware, and spyware programs that do not have the reproductive ability.

From Symantec:
    As of this time, there are NO viruses in the wild that affect current Mac OS X. In the past, there have been a few viruses that ran on older versions of the Mac operating system, but no longer.

There are, as of this time, trojans that can affect Mac OS X, but these must be downloaded and installed by the user, which involves entering the user's administrator password. Trojans can easily be avoided by the user exercising common sense and caution when installing applications. A common source of trojans is pirated software, typically downloaded from bit torrent sites.

Having virus protection software on your Mac is pointless, as far as protecting your Mac from viruses, since AV software can't detect a virus that doesn't exist. It is possible to have a file reside on your hard drive that contains a Windows virus, but since a Windows virus (program) can't run in native Mac OS X, it would be harmless to your Mac. Some choose to run AV on their Mac to scan for Windows viruses, so the Mac user can't pass a virus-infected file to a Windows user. In my opinion, a Windows user should be protected by their own AV software, so the burden of protection lies with the Windows user.

5. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

But first learn the difference between a virus and a trojan, which you obviously don't understand.

Did you even read the first line of that article you referred to? "If you let yourself get tempted into installing the pirated versions of iWork or Photoshop CS4..."

If the OP doesn't install pirate apps from dodgy websites, he wont get infected by a trojan (not a virus*), and if he does install pirate apps, all bets are off anyway.

* not being nitpicking, the point is, you can't do anything about a virus installing itself without AV, whereas you can with a trojan. And as there aren't any Mac viruses, a Mac antivirus will only remove money from your wallet, not viruses from your Mac.