I dont get why people dont LOVE the new iPhone 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by julianna1973, Jun 9, 2009.

1. julianna1973 macrumors 6502

julianna1973

I for one, love iPhone anyway but all the new things coming is brilliant, all the mobiles i have had before just dont compare to the standard Apple give in their iPhones. Its the best of all things on the go in a small compact size & Apple just keep improving it. I think people expect too much but even with that in mind, how can they not be blown away?? Its just never good enough for some people.

Sure there were things i missed from the start, like not being able to foward texts & not having mms, seemed daft when it was standard on even the most BASIC mobiles but the way i thought about it was, i have so much MORE on this iPhone than any other phone & the easy way to use & update thru itunes!!

WOW

All im a little unhappy with is not having an early upgrade deal with O2 on offer as i would have happily extended my contract for another 18 months or even 2 years. I only have 7/8 months to go on this one, so i will end my contract early & take on the £45 a month tariff over 2 years & get the 16gb for free! I dont think i will really need the 32gb? unless there are big applications coming?

What do you suggest for the apps thing???

2. Que macrumors 6502

apple fans generally expect to be blown away by every update. they wanted an iphone that will clean the house and drive you home from the pub.

this phone is only a medium step up so they're disappointed.

i'm not going to upgrade regardless of what o2 offer me, i'll keep my 3g until next summer when apple will probably offer a much more exciting iphone. o2's exclusivity contract will be coming to an end next year so if they do offer you a new phone with a 24 month contract now, next year when the new comes out they might not be in a position to offer you an iphone at all and you'll be stuck with the 3gs and up to 12 months remaining on your contract.

3. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Original iPhone owners = excited
    3G owners != excited

I fall into the first category :D

4. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

5. The General macrumors 601

Incorrect. I am a 3G owner. I am excited. :D

6. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

the reason that i got the original iphone is because it was unique.

I got the 3G because it was still hands down the best mobile phone that fit my needs and was still the best touch screen device that i played with.

Now, there are more phones that are competing in the market and the iPhone doesn't have enough points of differentiation to set it apart from the competition. If the pre was available for AT&T, without question, i would leave the iPhone platform. I am available to upgrade in July and will likely get the 3G S unless palm announces another webOS device (preferably a little higher end than the rumored Eos) gets announced.

overall, i think i am more excited with 3.0 than i am with the 3G S

7. ikarus79m macrumors member

I see you are from Scotland, so you probably haven't had a chance to play with the Palm Pre yet. That's why you might not understand some of the frustration some of us are experiencing.

Back in January, this new iPhone would've blown me away and I'd have been very happy because I'd have been the very best phone in every category I care about. Fast forward a few months and you have the Palm Pre which has me salivating for two features especially:

Multi-Tasking:
    Seriously, it's just that great! The card metaphor works like a charm. Want to copy multiple snippets from multiple apps into one email? No problem, just swipe back and forth between the apps and copy it into one email. On the iPhone you must start an app, go back to the home screen, start another app, go back to the home screen, etc... This is even painfully obvious in Apple's own demonstration video on their website.

Even worse, you won't be able to copy multiple segments from various emails into one email on the iPhone as you're only allowed to have one email window open at a time. On the pre you can open as many as you want.

It just feels like I am imprisoned by my iPhone OS after experiencing the multi-tasking on the Pre. I simply can not believe Apple completely ignored the innovation made here.

Notification System:

I'm already tired of the blue-text-box pop up that currently notifies me about text messages on my iPhone. It pauses whatever I am currently doing on my phone and becomes even worse if I actually dare to answer the text message since I have to go back to my previous app afterwards and restart it. (VERY annoying while playing games.)

On the Pre you get little notifications on the bottom of the screen (think "Growl") which you can simply ignore without having to push anything. Or you choose to respond and simply return to your previous app afterwards.

With all the push notifications in 3.0 this is going to get even worse!!!

Listen, I am not saying the Pre is an amazing phone. It certainly isn't. The hardware-keyboard actually sucks for example. What I am upset about is that I can no longer look at my iPhone and think:

"God damn it, this is the best phone out there and I wouldn't trade it for anything."

Now, for the first time in two years, I am feeling jealous for another phone. I for one was hoping that Apple would recognize this and bring us up to speed at least on their new hardware. However, they didn't.

At least that's why I feel underwhelmed by the iPhone 3G-S. It leaves me wanting more. Wanting something I know another phone can deliver!

Sorry for the rant!

8. iSimon macrumors regular

I'm pretty excited by the phone, just completely pissed off at the pricing for it here in the UK as it is massively diproportionate compared with the US (bearing in mind the equivalent costs this time last year for the 3G and takign into account the weaker pound). This is what I mean...

Last year in the US:

iPhone 8GB (2yr contract): $199 [~£100 @ £1:$2]
    iPhone 16GB (2yr contract): $299 [~£150 @ £1:$2]

Last year in UK:

iPhone 8GB (18mts £35 contract): £99
    iPhone 16GB (18mts £35 contract): £159

This year in the US:

iPhone 3GS 16GB (2yr contract): $199 [~£125 @ £1:$1.6]
    iPhone 3GS 32GB (2yr contract): $299 [~£185 @ £1:$1.6]

This year in the UK:

iPhone 3GS 16GB (18mts £35 contract): £189
    iPhone 3GS 32GB (18mts £35 contract): £280

(Note that I have used the normal UK VAT rate rather than the temporary one to keep the numbers more rounded but even so it only reduces the prices by about £5).

Just where on earth have Apple & O2 fished up these 3GS prices from? In the words of Wayne Campbell: "Are you mental?"

9. Ironduke Suspended

Ironduke

no just greedy like apple, checkout o2's tethering charges, lol I can tether for free with my jailbroken 3g

10. stevepeck macrumors member

Palm Pre 4 Me

3G here but now going for Palm Pre, 3GS looks no big deal at all

11. joefro macrumors member

After my 2G's plastic cover fell of a few months ago I have been salivating for a new, faster iPhone. I love the design of the 3G and I can't wait to test out the new processor's power. I really think that people are just mad that they didn't redesign the phone. If they would have just made the back matte, people would be jumping for joy.