Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
If you're just looking to code simple Objective-C programs, I'm sure there's a gcc out there that can help. But that's probably not what you're asking, is it?

Davide82

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Well maybe it is i'm not sure. Can I fully functionaly program objc apps on a windows pc in any sort of usefull manner?

Guiyon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2008
Cambridge, MA
Well maybe it is i'm not sure. Can I fully functionaly program objc apps on a windows pc in any sort of usefull manner?

Check out GNUstep, a GNU Objective-C API based on Cocoa. If you are writing non-graphical utilities, gnustep-make and gnustep-base should get you going. If you want/need a GUI then you either have to have Mac OS X, use the full GNUstep API or use some other C or C++ API you can wrap around.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
You can create small command-line apps with gcc, but for anything larger (such as a GUI app), you'll need a Mac.

I'd recommend going for a Mac Mini. If money's tight, you could get a refurb or second hand model. If you're committed and absolutely sure you want to sell iPhone applications, you might consider it an investment.

Programming isn't for everyone, so you might want to try something like BASIC first to see how it is. If you're going to invest in a Mac for iPhone app development, you need to be sure you really want to do this and won't get bored in a month or two. Developing applications is boring. The apps themselves may be cool, but the programming side of things is often tedious. You're creative for a few minutes whilst you think of how the app could work, then you have to write it all down in an obscure instruction language for hours/days/weeks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.