I don't have a torx t6 screwdriver

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Matbookpro, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Matbookpro macrumors member

I need one to upgrade my HDD.

I don't have a shop near me and don't really want to wait for an ordered one. Could someone suggest how I could unscrew them without the screwdriver?

2. warrmr macrumors regular

It depends if you mind marring the screws or not. What I would do is goto B&Q and buy a t6 driver set.

A small bladed screwdriver will do the trick but you risk rounding out the hole.

but the scredriver is only about £2 so why not use the correct tool .

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Do not attempt to do anything to your computer unless you have the proper tool. Never.

4. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

Do you really want to risk damaging a computer that cost one (or more) thousand dollars because you are too impatient to wait a few days for a $6 screwdriver?

5. Aboo macrumors 6502a

No hardware store or a computer store near you? TBH, I have even seen torx screw driver sets in supermarkets! Your best bet would be to order it online, and be patient. you dont want risk stripping the screw - you will then be stuck! Alternatively if you have a unibody system, the torx screws are those that attach on the side of the hard drive and hold it in place. If you have some foam padding you could use that to "pad" the new hard drive in place (i.e. without the torx screws) and then replace the screws once the new driver comes in. Obviously, my recommendation would be to just wait but if you are in urgent need to get your computer upgraded, this may be a side-step solution to consider.

6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I got mine from the local Ace hardware. I'm sure Radio Shack sells them too, maybe even Best Buy or Staples.

7. Yimbie macrumors member

Is a Torx T6 screwdriver all you need to replace a HDD?

8. Tmacfan4321 macrumors regular

If you have needlenose pliers you can just grip the pegs for removal and installation. There's no real chance of screwing anything up, unless you're worried about marring the side of your HDD or SSD.

You need a P0 screwdriver to undo the back plate on the MBP and the two screws holding the HDD in, but other than that, the T6 is all you need.

9. warrmr macrumors regular

Everything i have seen 2008 and newer in the uni design you dont need to remove the screws in the back cover to get to the hdd.

There is a leaver that pops up the battery compartment and the hdd is next to that. It is then 5 screws 1 is a crosshead and 4 torx it takes under 3 mins to replace the disk in one.

10. Patdt13 macrumors 6502

In 2009 onward they changed that. The back plate is held down by six screws, there is no lever now, thats how they made the battery bigger. So yeah you do need a screwdriver to get to the HD

11. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

You can buy a Torx set at any hardware store. I bought a set of miniture Torx and philips at Lowes for 6 bucks.

12. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

I believe on the newer 2009+ machines you also need a philips T00 screwdriver. The owners manual that comes with your laptop will tell you what size tools to use.

13. ScreamingPsycho macrumors newbie

not in the 2009 models and up. The whole back cover has to come off.

14. cube macrumors G5

March 2009 bump needs this, so I guess it also applies to the original Unibodies.

15. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Pliers work great and will not scratch or damage the little pegs on the sides of the HD. I did this on a previous 13" MBP and on my current 15" MBP. No need for torx screwdriver.

16. Argon21 macrumors member

x2. if you don't have the proper tools, you have no business working on this machine. go find another hobby.

17. Yimbie macrumors member

Ok so I will need the Tork T6 screwdriver and Philips T00 screwdriver to install the Seagate Momentus XT?

18. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

I just installed a HD the other day in a late 08 unibody. Needed a PH #00 to remove one screw and a T6 to take off the screws that hold the hard drive in place. I got a Torx screwdriver for $5.99 at Home Depot as well as a screwdriver that had mini PH and flat heads for $5.99 as well. Great investment :D

19. jamster777 macrumors newbie

Thank you to those who suggested the pliers. I used the pliers to loosen the posts and a 1.4mm flathead to rotate them the rest of the way (to save time). Worked great; not even a scratch on the posts (not that it would matter it there was one).

You definitely need the size 0 Phillips for the outer screws. By the way, since the outer screws are different lengths, an egg carton works great to store them while you're working. I started at the top left and went clockwise and placed the screws in the egg carton in the same pattern.

20. CPA01 macrumors newbie

Use some pliers to grab the screw

I encountered the same problem, and used some pliers to grip the screw and loosened them that way. Done and done.