I don't have permission?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Starhorsepax, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Starhorsepax macrumors member

Starhorsepax

I'm trying to get Prey anti theft working on my macbook. It runs manual and the site says it checks out but a test run didn't seem to work. So I checked console and found:
    com.apple.launchd[1] (0x10a740.cron[2330]) Could not setup Mach task special port 9: (os/kern) no access

Then as I go poking thru console for further clues I notice that I'm denied access to certain logs. Even normal stuff like Itunes crash and such. :confused:
    I'm logged in as admin and I don't recall ever noticing this on my old imac running Panther. This one is running Leopard 10.5.8 and I'm still pretty new to it.
    Am I missing something here? Why am I denied access? I know it protects certain core systems but console logs?

2. Hal Itosis macrumors 6502a

Hal Itosis

As far as fixing Prey goes: http://groups.google.com/group/prey-security

As far as logs & permissions go: have you repaired permissions yet?

Else, find the file in question (be it in /Library/Logs or /var/log) and check the perms with Terminal. If necessary, they could be tweaked.

E.g., sudo chmod g+r /var/log/secure.log

3. Starhorsepax thread starter macrumors member

Starhorsepax

Got prey working.

Prey is working (it's impressive too).

I haven't tried the terminal method yet but the disk utility method doesn't work correctly. I read there was a bug in Leopard that gave it trouble fixing certain permissions, perhaps this is it.

Oddly I've also noticed the admin account is the glitchy one-a fact I wasn't sure of until I stopped using it for awhile...