i dont have wifi :{ so no 3rd paty apps?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by timestoby, Feb 2, 2008.

1. timestoby macrumors 6502

i dont have wireless so does that mean i cant install the 3rd party apps people are getn on the ipod touch threw jailbreak.

2. panto macrumors newbie

well, if you don't have wifi to start you can't jailbreak at all so...no but although i don't recomend jailbreaking, because my ipod froze a lot when it was jailbroken, waht you could do is just go to a starbucks or some other place with wifi, like at least here in Chile there is wifi at starbucks, gas stations, subway stations and if you live in an apartment it shouldn't be too hard to find an open wifi connection and it's already february so why not just wait until the SDK is released.

3. one1 macrumors 65816

Go to a friends house, go to the local krystal (which provides hotspots in most locations), go walk down the street (I can hit routers by the dozens driving through neighborhoods). You are likely just a few houses down from am open router to leech off of.

4. Larry M macrumors newbie

iPod Touch 8GB

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to connect my iPod Touch to my Mac using it's Airport and if so, how? Thanks for any assistance on this.?

5. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

If your computer has a wireless card built in, most macs have, you can set this up as a wireless acces point and share your internet connection.

6. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

If there is a WiFi hotspot near you then you can. It just might get annoying having to walk over there to get apps...

7. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

yup as long as you have a Mac with an AirPort Card you'll be fine. You won't need a router.

8. swiftman macrumors newbie

well, cant you just plug you ipod into your mac and get the apps that way? or is there something about doing a direct connect through a computer that doesnt allow you to jailbreak?

9. quicklook2 macrumors 6502

quicklook2

10. sers macrumors regular

Timestoby,

If you have an iMac with an Airport Extreme card, you can set your computer up to send a wifi signal through the card. You don't need a router.

I originally was going to buy a router so I can access the net with my Touch, but learned on this board that you can set your computer as a router. The signal strength is excellent, as well. I have a 2 story house, with my computer on the 2nd floor. I can pick the signal up easily anywhere in my house, even in the basement.

11. Larry M macrumors newbie

Thanks...it works great:)

12. dellavoce macrumors regular

I have noticed that all the "legit" apps from apple are web apps. I just got a new 32 GB and am debating whether or not to jailbreak (I jailbroke my old 16 GB with good results). I don't want web apps, I want things like To Do list and Summerboard. If I wait for this SDK (which I admit, I don't really understand what it is) will I have access to these kinds of things or will it just be web apps?

13. jjaenagle macrumors member

yes... but you should just take a laptop and ipod to a place with free wifi... my airport has free wifi and so does some hotels

14. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

The SDK, or software developer's kit, is the code, or operating software, along with things like scripts and pre-"built" code that allow third party developers to write programs for operation on the iPod Touch.

By providing the "foundation" to the third party developers, they can build their own applications to run on the iPod Touch.

There are SDKs for things like Leopard and Tiger, Quicktime, etc., that allow people to design software that will work with and "play nice" with these and other applications.

MacDann