i dont know if anyone caught this (netflix)

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by pound4pound30, May 19, 2010.

1. pound4pound30 macrumors 6502

pound4pound30

Netflix is now supported for video output via VGA, component, and composite dongles.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. Anthony1987 macrumors newbie

4. TraceyS/FL macrumors 601

I saw that, now the kids can eat more data and hook it up to the player in the car!

5. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

Netflix update available (support for video-out!)

The App store just flagged the Netflix app as being updated. The update includes bug fixes and support for video-out. Niiiiiice! :)

6. Arran macrumors 601

Arran

Thanks for the tip. It wasn't showing as "upgrade available" in iTunes, so I just downloaded it from scratch.

This will be really handy for the 2nd TV (the main one already streams Netflix through a Wii)

7. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

8. Coukos34 macrumors 6502

Easy: Headphone Jack > RCA's

9. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

Well played!

10. TraceyS/FL macrumors 601

I just tried it on my pico projector because it was easier than hunting down the cable, and using the dock connector i had sound.

So the only one that won't have sound is the VGA one.

11. fpnc macrumors 68000

Just updated the Netflix app on my iPad to see how it works (the video out). Seems to have some problems, very slow response and slow buffering with drops in quality or outright pauses and restarts in the playback -- almost unwatchable. I've never seen this behavior from Netflix before, either on my PS3 or when watching video on the iPad's display.

Maybe it's a temporary problem (ISP/wireless) or maybe this release is extra buggy. Tried a restart on my iPad and the problems persisted. Has anyone else seen similar behavior (on the video out -- I'm using Apple's component video cable to an LCD HDTV).

12. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Now this will be pretty handy in a hotel room!

13. Arran macrumors 601

Arran

I'm using the Apple component video cable too and it seems fine here. Ran it for about 10 mins. No buffering.

Stop/Start is a bit clunky. You have to tap the completely blank iPad screen to redirect video back to the iPad and then you have to hit the pause button when it appears. Hitting Play then restarts and redirects back to the TV.

14. fpnc macrumors 68000

I'm still seeing problems. In fact, after about two hours of playback the Netflix app spontaneously quit (i.e. crashed). The video quality also continued to vary from minute to minute (before the crash).

As a further test, I just fired up my movies bookmark for my Mac mini (using Mac OS X's web sharing) and that worked fine over my wireless network (in fact a more difficult connection since it takes two wireless hops to get from my iPad to the Mac mini in my livingroom).

I may need to redownload the Netflix app, maybe I got a bad copy.

15. fpnc macrumors 68000

Okay, I removed my existing copy of the Netflix app from both iTunes and the iPad and then I downloaded a fresh copy of the latest Netflix app. After this change Netflix seems to be working pretty well (no more problems with buffering the video, quality looks pretty good, no pauses in playback).

However, there is one strange behavior I'm still seeing in that when I exit the mode for playback on the external display the video begins playback on both the iPad's LCD display and the external display (except that the framerate on the external display is something like two frames per second). If you then pause and restart the video it switches back to the external display (only) and the frame rate is once again correct. I saw something like this when I was having my original problems with buffering except that in the earlier case there were some instances where the Netlfix user interface would appear on the external display. Thus, I think they may have some problems in switching between the internal and external displays.

16. dwero macrumors newbie

what's the point of not doing this with the iPad?
    All iTunes DRM protected movies. So the one's that already payed money and spend more in iTunes store.
    Upset me.

17. patp Guest

The app works great but the case I'm using prevents the component cab,e to fully seat so i get video but no sound. Have t hold the 30 pin plug in with my hand. :(

So if i want to watch on the big screen i have to remove the case. I know, not really an Netflix app issue but arrgghh!!