I don't know if I should make the switch.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by luffytubby, Feb 8, 2008.

1. luffytubby macrumors 6502a

luffytubby

I am well aware of that, people on forums in general, hate posts like "should I buy this product?" and the likes, since no one other than the user can say for sure.

For over a month I have seriously been thinking about buying an 24' Imac. Why? Because I think it's beautiful. Never have been a mac user. Been trying an old macbook with Tiger on it for a few months now, and it's very different from PC. It's logical and simple as I was told, but it took more than a few hurdles to learn the basics again. I feel that it won't be a problem.

Why did I consider an Imac? Again, its pretty. it also comes with a minimalistic and beautiful keyboard and mouse(which I am not good at using though). It all looks clean and like it fits together. I like simple. I like well designed stuff. And why not?
    Why spend so many money(its alot for me) on something that does not look nice?
    Many PCs I look at are very ugly. HP, Asus, Alienware. I really don't like the design of many of these machines. The macbook is another pretty device.
    Im very much a fan of the Ipods design. I would wish that all my technology could fit under one brand.

Instead of having a crazy PC setup, with a monitor from Samsung, a mouse from Logitech, a keyboard from microsoft, a pc from dell. It all looks like crap by itself, but it worse in the furious cable hell it creates.

I have been owning PCs for 10 years now, and I have never been good at upgrading. My fith computer died on me just a few months back. I am SICK of upgrading, or trying to upgrade. It always seems like that the technology gets outdated so quickly, that if your trying to upgrade a graphics card, you often have to upgrade other stuff aswell. I am sick of having to open my machine to clean it from dust. I am just sick of PCs in general.

So what holds me back?
    Well, mostly it's because im a big fan of video games. The introduction of the boot camp, will surely get alot of other people like myself interested in Mac. I didn't even belive it when I first heard about it. The fact that I could have both a mac and a pc, in a mac, was like a dream come true. It was further made amazing by the fact that this machine is a monitor and a computer in a single monitor.

I don't use to many applications mostly. Itunes, Sony Vegas, Frostwire, Firefox, Adobe Golive/Photoshop/image ready, VLC, Office, Bittorrent. Thats pretty much what I mostly use. And then games.

People tell me that if I like games, I should just stay away from macintosh. I was recommended a M1730 from Dell. Apparently a crown jewel in mobile gaming. It comes with a high price. review: ( http://youtube.com/watch?v=h-0PDuOk8SM )

The Mac Pro is out of my league, but I am not really a fan of its design and/or the Apple cinema display.

Im considering getting a PS3 and a PSP at a later time, which should also be able to "satisfy" my gaming and Blu-ray movie viewing pleasures, but I sure would like to be able to run the heavy stuff like crysis.

Its alot of money for me, and I would need to know that a mac would last me a while. someone said to me that it was a waste buying expenssive computers. that i should just get a cheap one. i dont know. I really dont know if I should make the switch. when it really comes down to it, its a hard choice.

im one of does type of people who would like to use one or fewest brands if possible. if i would get a mac, i would probably buy other apple related products, like ipod, as it would look great with the mac. I am superficial/nut for technology design, that way, but so what? I like things that looks great and work great.
    I use a computer all the time, and pictures, games, music, internet, social online interacton and movies are my hobbies. I use my computer alot. im not a casual user.

im afraid that I would get dissapointed. that it would age to quickly, that performance in games would not reach my expectations, that it would be to hard to go from a windows based platform mentality to a OSX one! its like having spent your entire life, thinking with the right side of your brain only, and then having to think with the left one only.
    OSX might be better and more intuitive and stable, but it's just hard to adjust to. because we are creatures of habit.

I think that what apple asks its new potential customers to do is very hard. I went into an apple store, but didnt feel like I could talk them, about the first time buying a mac. I asked some questions, and the guy in the store was just like, "so you gonna buy a mac or not? i dont got all day".:/

How do I find out if a Mac would be good for me? Maybe I am asking for both the longest end of the stick and the short one, at the same time. but i cant have both right?

I just want a computer that I dont have to open and clean with a vacum cleaner from all the dust, or have to nag around in DOS and in the bios and do all kinds of crap I dont understand or want to get into.

Sorry for the incoherent post. Im confused and have lots of different opinions and thoughts on the same time on this subject.

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

no, you should stay with your pc, you already own a MB, even the oldest MB (which I own) is good enough for you to enjoy OSX

for Game, if you choose a mac, that will have to be a high end one, will probably costs more than $1500, with mid-level graphic card.

Its much easier for you to get a PC desktop, cheap one, ~$400, and then add a high level graphic card yourself. Total will be <$600~700.

I was in the same boat as you, after MB, I was so amazed by mac so I bought another mini, now my mini sitting there doing pretty much nothing...

3. erummel macrumors member

erummel

Simply put, don't waste your money. Even with boot camp, an iMac is not a gaming machine. Sure it will play most of todays games reasonably well, but tomorrow's games are a different story. Hardware-wise, it can handle things well, with one deal-breaking exception. The most important component for a gamer: the video card. For everyone but gamers, the ATI card is perfectly fine. For a gamer it is quite low-end and tawdry.

So, from your own brief, the iMac is a poor choice, as is the entire Apple line. If you want to game, buy a PC. If you want to do everything else better, buy a mac.

4. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

All I can do it tell you my experiences... I switched to mac about 5 years ago, and I would NEVER go back. I use a pc every day at work (I am typing this message on one now) and It doesn't bother me a bit. Windows is fine, no big deal... but for my personal use, I would pay twice the price for a mac than a pc. Why?

1) I've never had to deal with ANY virus software security software. On a PC I would need to buy annual subscriptions, run the software daily/weekly/monthly to keep my computer healthy. Not a huge deal I guess, just VERY annoying and I truly value it now that I don't have to do it any more.

2) I LOVE the seamless integration of the iLife Apps. There is nothing comparable on the PC side, and if you do find something roughly comparable, it will cost you hundreds and hundreds of dollars and still won't have the best part... the seamless integration. Not worth it.

3) All the extras on my mac make for a far better experience. It is true that the mac is more logical, but like you said... you are used to the PC so that isn't a huge deal. However, you simply can't replace things like spaces, expose, dashboard, etc. on the PC. Expose alone saves me tons of time and frustration. It is just amazing.

4) It just works. With my mac I've never had to install a single driver. I bought a new printer, it works perfectly plug and play. I bought a new mouse, it works perfectly plug and play. I bought a new (fill in the blank) and it works perfectly... this is unheard of on PCs.

Bottom line, PCs are fine when connected to a company network and maintained by a IT staff. When I am at home, an IT staff is the last thing I want to be. I want to use my computer and enjoy it with no worries. My mac makes me more productful, my life more enjoyable and troubel free.

I would never recommend a PC to a friend. God honest truth.

Now, that being said... you are a gamer and you have a harder decision to make. GAmers are the ONLY group of people who I would say should atleast consider a PC. Oh, and EXTREMELY price concious people who don't want to spend upwards of $1000 on a machine. Back to my point... based on what I now about your experience and budget I would say your purchase decision is simple.

1) If you can live without A+ computer gaming, get the mac. You will be able to basic games on the mac just fine and you can suppplement with the gaming console of your choice, a PSP, etc. If you can live without it, than this is the ONLY way to go. The mac is a far superior experience with everything else.

2) If you can't live without A+ computer gaming, get the PC. If you love computer gaming way more than console gaming, you love the keyboard aspect, playing online, and just can't fathom not having the best gaming experience possible... the PC is the only way to go. It is a far better gaming experience.

In closing, I just want to say that if you get the mac you will most likely be VERY happy that you did. I would wager than within a few months you will be trying to convert all of your friends. It is really that cool. Good luck!

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

A+ is a too generous line for mac, C+, IMHO, Its not failing (F), but it missed >80% of the computer games.

Yes, when you install windows on your mac ( an extra of $100), it goes to B+~A, but thats a big expense (>$1600 with ATi 2600pro) compare to $600~700 of A+ game machine (you can get GForce 7800GT for $135, or 8800GT for $199).

All in All, if $$$ isn't a big concern, the decision can be easier.

6. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Semantics.

Basically what I am saying is that if computer gaming is a HUGE deal to him, and if he doesn't have the money for a Mac Pro, then he shoudl get a PC... and if he can live without computer gaming (substituting with console and portable gaming systems) then the mac is a superior choice for the same coin.

7. Hooka macrumors regular

Hooka

Not really, any computer you would buy for the same price would be able to play games. I don't see how mac can justify it has a superior product, but just not for gaming. Come on, people love playing games on their computers. And let's face it, Halo is all that we really have. If Apple could get intel to shrink a chip by 60% then you would think we could have games the same day they drop for pc's.

8. cyberjunky macrumors regular

Although you said not the mac pro, have you considered just the entry level mac pro and keep your existing monitor, and replace the monitor at a later date when the money becomes available. Apple also have credit options you could use. the Mac pro would be best for gaming as its most upgradable, if not go for the top spec imac but i believe its price tops the low end mac pro..

9. luffytubby thread starter macrumors 6502a

luffytubby

I have around 5000 USD, though please mind that everything is much much more expenssive in europe:(

I need the hole shabang. mouse, keyboard, speakers, monitor etc... for that money.

One I was thinking about was the Znote 6625WD for around 2100 euro.

[​IMG]

2,6 GHz santa rosa C2D, 4 gig ram, 8600 GT 512 mb ram. It seems it can run crysis reasonably well: http://banners.zepto.com/6625WD_Live/6625WD_Live_03.html (though it might be a video, and not the actual game running).
    the design is minimalistic and it seems pretty cool. zepto is not a company I am familiar with though.
    a macbook pro might be able to equal this in boot camp?

I dont think that I need a monster of a gaming machine. But I sure would like to be... "sufficent" for at least one year of gaming, so I at least can be well equipped for Fallout 3, Starcraft 2, and other cool games that will make it out in 08-09!:)

10. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

Why does everyone keep saying the iMac is crap for gaming? Are you serious? Just because it isn't the bestest card in the world? Excuse me, I play plenty of graphics-intensive games at near-top settings on my iMac G4. No computer built today will play all of the games in two years at top setting, but they'll all be able to play them just fine. If you want bang-for-the-buck performance gaming machines...buy a PS3 or 360! They're insane little machines built for it.

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

if you just want a gaming laptop, with your budget, why not Alienware?
    http://www.alienware.com/product_pages/notebook_m15x.aspx
    [​IMG]

Nvidia 8800M Go inside. top mobile card you can get today. ~$2000.00
    Who said that?

12. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Hahaha. I've gotta say man... I'd much rather play games on my 24" iMac than that thing. I don't care what kind of graphics card you're using, you're still playing on a dinky screen. Its going to be very difficult to pick out your new computer if you don't even have it narrowed down to laptop or desktop yet.

To each his own I suppose. :)

13. ChrisA macrumors G4

If the main use of the computer is games. Then buy a Xbox, PS3 or whatever.

When you have a zillion photos, some video footage that needs editing , some presentations to put to together or a paper to write then buy a Mac.

14. luffytubby thread starter macrumors 6502a

luffytubby

i have a 40' samsung tv i could hook it up to? I dont know...

I was even suggested buying a a cheap laptop and a cheap desktop, as it would be more value for the buck, due to no overprice on new or recent technology:/

15. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Anyone who is purely price conscious should not be looking at the mac. If price and gaming are you priorities, then you should buy a PC. You would probably not even appreciate the mac...

For those of us that care about user experience, family media, a complete ecosystem of fully compatible software... the mac is the ONLY choice, and we wouldn't let something like a slightly slower graphics card get in the way of that.

You just have to make a value decision. Do you value the things that I listed in my first post (my reasons for liking the mac) or do you value games and saving a few bucks. It's up to you man... nobody can make that decision for you. It is black and white between mac and pc. Make the best choice for you.