I don't know if this question should on another forum

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macswitcha2, Dec 4, 2010.

1. macswitcha2 macrumors 65816

but do the printer folders come empty or come with certain things already installed in the system?

The reason I'm asking is because recently I installed a printer device via the CD that came with it but that I want to uninstall since I found out how to get the printer working without any cd installation. I did a spotlight search of Canon (since that was the brand of the printer) and saw how to go to the location home>library>printers> and saw some canon files and deleted them as well as the file in the shared folder. But, then I went to disk image>Library>Printers> and saw a number of printer folders but don't know how they got there or if they was already there in the OS X.

I do recall in the past that I did install two different HP printers but don't remember a Epson, Samsung, or Lexmark. There is a folder labeled "Brother," and a folder named "PPDs" as well as a InstalledPrinters.plist.

Oh, and there is also a Canon folder.

It seems that since there are HP folders and Canon folders that therefore the other folders were created by me. However, since many of this stuff is done out of view, I really am not sure.

2. dissolve macrumors 6502a

OS X includes drivers for a wide range of printers (on the order of several GBs for all). This is why you were able to set it up without the cd and why there are plenty of brands listed in that folder.