Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Raisen223

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
Hello. I've installed Windows 7 enterprise 32x on my iMac using Bootcamp and it was working swell for quite some time. However, my Windows partition started acting very strange just recently.

My keyboard no longer works when I'm using Windows, it only works at the boot BIOS screen. I tried searching for solutions online that would relate to my problem, but none worked. Now, I'm getting inconsistent and frequent Blue screens of death, that just happen randomly whenever I use my Windows partition. I'm pretty sure this isn't a virus related problem, because the actual operating system (so long as it doesn't crash) seems to be running at a fine speed and all programs are functioning as they should, but I'm getting a lot of Blue screens and some of my hardware drivers are damaged.

My computer's 'light sensor' driver has also been damaged (I really don't know why). Fearing that this random malfunction to my computer would damage my iMac, I am now leaving my Windows partition until someone gives me a solution that actually works. I should also mention that this problem appeared completely at random. I didn't visit any suspicious websites, as far as I can remember, nor did I use any malicious programs, and my computer was working just fine up until recently. This all started however when I downloaded Avast's new antivirus 2014. I don't know, it could be related or it could be a huge coincidence.

System restore doesn't work either. Every time I try it, it gives me a "catastrophic failure" error. Judging by how badly my Windows partition got wrecked, I'd figure that I would probably need to reinstall the partition from top to bottom all over again, but I just wanted to post my problem here in case someone has a functional solution to my problem.

I really don't want to do a system reinstall, since I have a lot of files on that partition (including other people's files), but if it's the last choice I have, then I'm willing to go with it. Please, if anyone could help, then that'd be great. Thanks in advance to anyone whom've helped me!

IA64

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2013
Do you have a BSOD dump ? Maybe you can upload it and let us check what's wrong.

You can also reinstall Bootcamp application on windows or repair it to restore the keyboard driver.

BSOD has many cause from drivers to hardware failure. Without symptoms it's really hard to know. Dump files can be found under Windows in Minimdump folder.

Raisen223

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
I'm sorry, but I wasn't able to retrieve the dump file. Every single time I try to take it, my system crashes. I tried 3 times already.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

IA64

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2013
I'm sorry, but I wasn't able to retrieve the dump file. Every single time I try to take it, my system crashes. I tried 3 times already.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Boot into safe mode and get it ! ( you can boot in safe mode with networking )

Raisen223

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
Boot into safe mode and get it ! ( you can boot in safe mode with networking )
Okay, so finally after some time, I managed to get them. Here they are. Also, I viewed the thread you made earlier about Bootcamp 5 slowing down Windows, and one word that you mentioned which caught my interest was "KeyAgent.sys". I scanned my BOOTCAMP partition from my Mac partition using AVAST and it actually listed this as a harmful file. Maybe this file is what's causing all of these problems?

Attachments

• dump files.zip
    380.6 KB · Views: 70

IA64

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2013
Okay, so finally after some time, I managed to get them. Here they are. Also, I viewed the thread you made earlier about Bootcamp 5 slowing down Windows, and one word that you mentioned which caught my interest was "KeyAgent.sys". I scanned my BOOTCAMP partition from my Mac partition using AVAST and it actually listed this as a harmful file. Maybe this file is what's causing all of these problems?

Hi again. The dump files you sent are old. The most recent one was from Dec 9.

Do you have a recent one ? So far there are couple of issues :
UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP, BAD_POOL_HEADER and SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

Most of the crashes are caused by ewusbnet.sys at 0x9b38c000
Do you have a USB miniport Huwaei device connected ?

Another half of the issue is caused by Hamachi ( halmacpi.dll+5ba9 )

I suggest you update your drivers and uninstall hamachi, test your system and upload the latest dump file one more time.

Raisen223

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
Hi again. The dump files you sent are old. The most recent one was from Dec 9.

Do you have a recent one ? So far there are couple of issues :
UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP, BAD_POOL_HEADER and SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

Most of the crashes are caused by ewusbnet.sys at 0x9b38c000
Do you have a USB miniport Huwaei device connected ?

Another half of the issue is caused by Hamachi ( halmacpi.dll+5ba9 )

I suggest you update your drivers and uninstall hamachi, test your system and upload the latest dump file one more time.
Hamachi was causing problems for my computer for some time now and deleted the file long ago. Also, the Huwaei USB was an adapter I used for internet, it gave my computer some issues (devices would act strangely, computer would lag etc.), but it was the only option for internet I had before my wireless connection came in. The hamachi problem is taken care of, and I'll uninstall everything related to Huwaei on my computer. Thanks a lot for the info. And about the dumps, these were the most recent. I checked the minidump folder and those were all the dumps it had; sorry.

IA64

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2013
Hamachi was causing problems for my computer for some time now and deleted the file long ago. Also, the Huwaei USB was an adapter I used for internet, it gave my computer some issues (devices would act strangely, computer would lag etc.), but it was the only option for internet I had before my wireless connection came in. The hamachi problem is taken care of, and I'll uninstall everything related to Huwaei on my computer. Thanks a lot for the info. And about the dumps, these were the most recent. I checked the minidump folder and those were all the dumps it had; sorry.

Great. let me know if your problem is solved.

Raisen223

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
Great. let me know if your problem is solved.
Okay, so I've finally removed Huwaei completely and all related registry keys and the random BSoDs and lag have finally stopped! Thanks a lot. My drivers are still not working though. My keyboard and light sensor drivers (which weren't working from before) still don't work, and now my network drivers are starting to not work as well. Something on windows partition is gradually destroying my drivers.

IA64

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2013
Okay, so I've finally removed Huwaei completely and all related registry keys and the random BSoDs and lag have finally stopped! Thanks a lot. My drivers are still not working though. My keyboard and light sensor drivers (which weren't working from before) still don't work, and now my network drivers are starting to not work as well. Something on windows partition is gradually destroying my drivers.

Start -> type CMD -> right click on CMD and run as Administrator

Type : "sfc /scannow" without quotation and check if you have any file integrity issue.

Also type chkdsk and paste the output or check if you have problems and bad sectors.

Raisen223

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
Start -> type CMD -> right click on CMD and run as Administrator

Type : "sfc /scannow" without quotation and check if you have any file integrity issue.

Also type chkdsk and paste the output or check if you have problems and bad sectors.
I tried checking multiple times, but honestly; I've given up on it. Every time I check it doesn't reach even 10% before a BSoD occurs, let alone 5%(and yes, even in safe mode)! I have a feeling I might know what you're trying to tell me to do though. Do you want me to rename KeyAgent.sys by any chance?

IA64

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2013
I tried checking multiple times, but honestly; I've given up on it. Every time I check it doesn't reach even 10% before a BSoD occurs, let alone 5%(and yes, even in safe mode)! I have a feeling I might know what you're trying to tell me to do though. Do you want me to rename KeyAgent.sys by any chance?

Yes rename it to KeyAgent._sys.

Also delete old dump files. It will push newer one to generate. Keyboard HID keys won't work like Volume Up and Down but also I suggest you test your RAMs with memtest86+. If it's crashing under safe mode, I doubt it's a driver issue.

Raisen223

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
Yes rename it to KeyAgent._sys.

Also delete old dump files. It will push newer one to generate. Keyboard HID keys won't work like Volume Up and Down but also I suggest you test your RAMs with memtest86+. If it's crashing under safe mode, I doubt it's a driver issue.
Sorry, but where exactly do I find that file? I'd love to rename it straight away, but I just don't know where it is.

Raisen223

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
C:\windows\system32\drivers
Sorry for the delay, I've renamed the file as you've stated and I tried doing what you told me to do, but I keep getting a BSoD every single time. If I do anything else, my system runs fine. If I try to do anything related to solving the problem, my system just randomly crashes as if saying "no" to me or something. Also, I can't run memtest86+, since I'm pretty sure my system will crash whilst burning it on a CD. For some reason as well, even after deleting the old dump files, Windows isn't making any more of them. This is starting to get really hopeless.

IA64

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2013
Sorry for the delay, I've renamed the file as you've stated and I tried doing what you told me to do, but I keep getting a BSoD every single time. If I do anything else, my system runs fine. If I try to do anything related to solving the problem, my system just randomly crashes as if saying "no" to me or something. Also, I can't run memtest86+, since I'm pretty sure my system will crash whilst burning it on a CD. For some reason as well, even after deleting the old dump files, Windows isn't making any more of them. This is starting to get really hopeless.

Is Minidump enabled ?? Check this http://blog.nirsoft.net/2010/07/27/how-to-configure-windows-to-create-minidump-files-on-bsod/

Also disable Automatic restart on failure if it's enabled. Might get some info from the blue screen.

IA64

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2013
It is enabled, yes.

OK the last thing I could find from your old dump files are exceptions related to AVG

UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP 0x1000007f BAD_POOL_HEADER 0x00000019 avgldx86.sys+27540

Caused by Driver avgldx86.sys.

avgldx86.sys is AVG ( antivirus ) so your last option is to uninstall it and see.

I really can't help without a recent dump file.

Raisen223

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
OK the last thing I could find from your old dump files are exceptions related to AVG

UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP 0x1000007f BAD_POOL_HEADER 0x00000019 avgldx86.sys+27540

Caused by Driver avgldx86.sys.

avgldx86.sys is AVG ( antivirus ) so your last option is to uninstall it and see.

I really can't help without a recent dump file.
I uninstalled AVG long ago. Thank you for really trying all you could to help me, but this is getting pretty hopeless. I think I'll just have to make a complete reinstall of my Bootcamp partition and just get it over with. Again, I really do thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.