I don't know what OS X to upgrade to...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by XxxXnoodleXxxX, Nov 14, 2014.

1. XxxXnoodleXxxX macrumors newbie

So I have a mid-2010 Macbook Pro 13 inch. Currently running 10.7.5.
    I was terrified of Mavericks because I heard it basically kills these old Macbooks. But they've done a bunch of updates since launch, so is it better? Cause I heard Yosemite is garbage for old Macs right now... But a bunch of my programs are stopping support for anything less than Mavericks soon...

2. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

I still use 10.6.8 on my April 2010 MacBook Pro, and it still runs fine. I've upgraded the internal drive to an SSD, and it boots to the finder in about 7 seconds flat.

I also have a second partition on the MBPro internal SSD, with 10.8.5 on it. That will also boot and run fine.

If you currently have a platter-based internal HDD, and intend to stick with it, I would suggest that you DO NOT GO BEYOND 10.8.5. If you do, it's going to become "beachball city".

If you upgrade the internal drive to an SSD (very easy on these MBPro's), then I'd suggest you skip Mavericks and go right to Yosemite, if you desire "the latest and greatest".

But again, my 2010 MBPro runs beautifully with 10.6.8 or 10.8.5...

3. mastermind6192 macrumors member

mastermind6192

Upgrade!

I have a 17in MBP 2010 and it runs 10.10 just fine. Running newer software on older hardware will never be perfect, but you gain so many new features its worth the risk. I don't have "beach ball city". Some people have bad experiences yes, but don't let a few naysayers sway you. You have to imagine people here are usually annoyed and are ranting about some bug, not happy things are working out for the most part.

4. XxxXnoodleXxxX thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses! I'd be perfectly happy using my current OSX until the end of time, but like I said a bunch of games I play and such are dropping support for Lion and Mountain Lion, so I need to upgrade to Mavericks or Yosemite. So is the latest version of Mavericks fairly stable now? Cause I heard it was a sluggish nightmare when it came out...