I don't know what to buy.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ditzy, Jan 28, 2008.

1. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

Over the last 6 months I've been obsesed with buying a mac. I've spent hours on these forums but still haven't made a decision.
    Ok about me. I am at the moment using a 2.4 Ghz core 2 duo with 2gig of ram and 256 video ram. Hp desktop.
    I really don't want to have a lower spec than I already have, which I guess rules out the mini, macbook, MBA and lower spec imacs.
    My question is which of the rest should I go for?
    I have a budget of £2000 give or take a couple of hundred. I tend to use my computer for itunes, internet, office, occasional video editing and light gaming. (Sims 2 Simcity Poker)
    What I want is the mac pro but I feel this is overkill and that I should really go for the iMac. So what to do go with what my head wants (imac it does everything I need it to) or what my heart wants. (Mac Pro I guess the biggest and baddest) Or make a completly different choice (MBP I've never really had a laptop I don't need the portability.)

Sorry I seem to waffle a lot. I'd be greatful for some imput.

Just to add my only reason for wanting to change is that I tried tiger and loved it. I haven't tried leopard yet but I'm hoping I like it as much as tiger.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I think its between the iMac and the MBP, depending on whether you want portability. I think you'll be surprised at how fast the iMac runs compared to your PC and, unless you have a multi-TB iTunes library, there will hardly be a difference between the MP and iMac for your wants :)

3. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

welldo you need portability? if so mbp if not tHEn MP there you go.. now you can narrow it down even more...yeah or an imac, i really think a MP would be overkill for what you use it...

4. ditzy thread starter macrumors 68000

ditzy

I don't need portability so I'm not sure there is any real reason to get a laptop which is probably the reason I've never bought one in the past. But as it met my spec demands I didn't want to discount it completely and for some reason I've been thinking about it as an option more recently as my computing need might but only might change. But I guess if that happens I can get a macbook later on. But I guess in truth the two options I'm truly looking at are the Imac and Mac Pro. But if there is a really good reason to consider the MBP I'll definetly think harder about it.

5. -Noodles macrumors regular

-Noodles

24" iMac all the way... If you have extra money I'd suggest getting a min of 2gb of ram up the hard drive to at least 500gb and then going for the faster 2.8ghz chip last.

My gf has the 24" 2.4 with 2gb of ram and it's pretty speedy. The screen's great, the size is great, the price is great, ...it's just great...

The mac pro would be a waste of money for your needs. If you have money to throw away get time capsule to backup your stuff.

good luck :p

6. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre