i dont know what to do imac or macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by alexlovesmacs, Jul 13, 2008.

1. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

on saturday im going to buy my first mac i decided not to wait for redesigns or bump ups in speed currently i have a horrid dell dimension 4700 from '04. i was thinking of the macbook 1st but the lack of graphics card is bothering me i don't need portabilty i only travel once or twice a year and sometimes when i go to a freinds house or relatives house i just wish my computer was here. then at the apple store i saw the 24 iMac and i was in love i was thinking about it but im unsure i have a perfect ultrasharp display 17" for the macbook but its the graphics card

and if i would buy the macbook i would get the blackbook and for the imac the low end 24 inch model

also where is it better to purchase at apple store or best buy?

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

OK, first learn how to use periods and commas. ;)

Are you going to play a lot of games? If so, the iMac is what you need. If not, get the MacBook. That's really the only consideration since you already have a large screen.

BTW- Best Buy has much better financing offers if you need to use credit.

3. alexlovesmacs thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm sorry when I write something long I just go crazy.:p

Well the only game I really play is The Sims 2, and I have that nice ultra sharp display 17". I would definitely buy the base MBP but that $2000 dollar price tag makes me :eek: and a refurb is out of the question

4. jaduffy108 macrumors 6502a

why is a refurb "out of the question"? I've bought 3 refurbs over the years. They all looked perfect and never had any problem. My girlfriend just got a 24' iMac refurb for $1400...SWEET machine!

Unless you plan to play games or work in openGL apps or 3d, etc...get the Macbook. Otherwise, you MUST get the iMac. Running Maya, for example, on a Macbook is a joke.

5. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

If you don't need portability get the iMac. It's a monster of a computer.

6. alexlovesmacs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Because I want something brand new with the original box.

7. Balty macrumors 6502

Balty

Well, that's just a waste of money IMO.

If you don't need the portability then get the iMac, but the Macbook is perfectly fine if you don't play games, work in the 3D or do heavy photoshopping

8. alexlovesmacs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I made up my mind I'll make a sacrifice and buy the MBP but maybe I might end up with the black MB.

9. The Hammer macrumors regular

It doesn't seem as though you've nailed it down yet.

10. BenK01 macrumors newbie

The refurbished machines have no cosmetic or other flaws. When a current refurbished model is available, you're paying $300 for a box to buy a new one.

11. jaduffy108 macrumors 6502a

The box is even the same :rolleyes: