i dont know what to do :(

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by pcomac, Jun 22, 2011.

1. pcomac macrumors regular

i have a dell inspiron that lasted me for 5 years and still good. im going to college so i wanted to get a new laptop and i was debating between getting a dell xps 15 , hp pavilion dv6t, or a macbook white. im going to put photoshop on the laptop and i was leaning more toward the macbook because of the long battery and i thought it would have better quality and last me longer. but after reading all the complaints about crackings and battery expanding and how the rubbery part is pealing off im really not sure i want a macbook anymore. how often and how likely do all those problem happen? i really dont want to spend almost $1000 on crap that wont last even 5 years.

2. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

Then spend $200 more and get a MacBook Pro. TRUST ME it's worth it. I was in your shoes a year ago when I bought my MacBook. It was great and all, but the plastic definitely cracks, and my bottom case started peeling away. So, when I got a new computer (my MacBook got destroyed from water damage), I got a MacBook Pro 13". It's SO much better. Trust me, you won't be disappointed. Look around and see how durable these beasts are ;) you won't be disappointed. Probably the best $200 increase I've ever spent in my life. From what I've seen, it will definitely last you five years.

Hope you get what you need!! Cheers

3. tommy060289 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I had a previous non unibody plastic MacBook and I wasn't blown away with the plastic strength, however...

If your wanting it to last longer, why not spend a little extra on a MacBook pro. It's not an aweful lot more expensive (you know you get student discount to don't you) and the machine is a completely different beast,

One of the best built laptops around, stylish, extremely strong casing (mines two year old with barely a mark on it) and the internals are much better than the MacBook. All in all a far better buy (I genuinely don't know why people settle for the MacBook when your spending that much anyway)

4. pcomac thread starter macrumors regular

5. tommy060289 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Mac pro is big workstation:p now that will set you back some money.

As for the MacBook pro I've not heard of it. I've had mine two years and it's as good as they day I took it out the box!

6. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

At the moment, do NOT buy the white macbook. The model hasn't been updated for 1,5year. If you buy it, you will be buying the same laptop you could have bought 1 and a half year ago, at the same price :/. You should either buy the mbp 13", or wait for the new macbook airs in july (and probably the new white macbook too).

7. pcomac thread starter macrumors regular

8. CFoss macrumors 6502

Yes, there are rumours going around that the Mac Mini and MacBook Air are just about to be updated. The CPU will most likely be upgraded from the Core2Duo to i# generation. They've apparently been ready to launch for sometime, but have been held back for the release of Lion.

I suggest you wait to see how the new MacBook Air performs. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple upgrades, or even DROPS the white MacBook. It's very outdated.

9. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

I doubt Apple would drop the Macbook, just because it hasn't had a reasonable update in a few years like the Mini doesn't mean it's not going anywhere.