Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajvizzgamer101

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
United States
Time Capsule - My wired harddrive drives me crazy because sometimes I pull it out before ejecting it and a faster router would be nice. My linksys one loses connection some of the time.

-or-

NEW iPod Touch 8GB - Connectivity to my Mac, Portable Internet, Music, Movies, Games and Apps, Nice Big Screen

-or-

iPod Classic 120GB - More Storage, Peggle(Sad that iPod Touch doesn't)

I already asked for 4GB Ram for my Macbook Pro.

mgridgaway

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2006
I would look into seeing if your Linksys router supports DD-WRT if you don't have it installed already. Really solid OS, many wins over anything Apple creates networking wise. For about the price of the cheaper capsule, you could create your own Raid 1 storage device with 640GB drives from newegg and an OWC Firewire 800 Dual HD Bay (my next big computer buy :)). Of course, it won't be instantly accessible by all of your computers, but you can easily set up sharing so that it is.

Touch is nice, but if you have any music and video you're gonna find yourself running out of space very quickly with 8GB. I'd suggest at least the 16Gb but at that point you might as well buy the 120GB classic because it's cheaper and does what it's suppose to do really well: play music. Then again, I've always been one for functionality and value over glitz, and besides, you just know you'll have to pay $9.99 every time they come out with something new for the Touch :p

My Vote? Get the 120GB classic.

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
The 8GB iPod Touch holds 1700 songs. That is a lot. I have about 450 songs(in reality that is wayyyyy to much for me), 12 apps, a lot of pics, and 2 movies on mine and still have plenty of space. Guess it depends on how much you want to put on it. 8GB is more than enough for me.

The Time Capsule is awesome. I know a few have had some complaints, but I love mine.

You can't go wrong with any decision you will make. All great products.

mgridgaway

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2006
The 8GB ipod touch holds 1700 songs. That is a lot. I have about 450 songs(in reality that is wayyyyy to much for me), 12 apps, a lot of pics, and 2 movies on mine and still have plenty of space. Guess it depends on how much you want to put on it. 8GB is more than enough for me.

The Time Capsule is awesome. I know a few have had some complaints, but I love mine.

You can't go wrong with any decision you will make. All great products.

1700 is a lot, but those estimations made by Apple assume you're using AAC at 128kbps. There are many out there who prefer other more versatile formats (my personal love is mp3 at 192kbps, which does increase the size but allows for more flexibility), and so that number starts to diminish rather quickly. When you take into account that it's not really 8GB, but more like 7.5GB, That's even less.

Now if you only need some 500 songs to live on, that's fine, but me, I prefer to have all ~4200 (which I thought was a big number until I met people with the 160GB model) songs of mine with me all the time, as well as my iphoto pictures. Overkill? Definitely, but I love to have a lot of choices. Not including videos (which I don't even bother with because I encode them at too high a quality for the iPod to handle), I use up 23 GB. I would consider the 32GB Touch, but it's simply too expensive when i can get the 120GB (or 80GB in my case) for $250.

So really, it all depends on what you want to get out of your iPod. Either way, I would recommend an iPod over TC, especially if you don't have one already.

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
1700 is a lot, but those estimations made by Apple assume you're using AAC at 128kbps. There are many out there who prefer other more versatile formats (my personal love is mp3 at 192kbps, which does increase the size but allows for more flexibility), and so that number starts to diminish rather quickly. When you take into account that it's not really 8GB, but more like 7.5GB, That's even less.

Now if you only need some 500 songs to live on, that's fine, but me, I prefer to have all ~4200 (which I thought was a big number until I met people with the 160GB model) songs of mine with me all the time, as well as my iphoto pictures. Overkill? Definitely, but I love to have a lot of choices. Not including videos (which I don't even bother with because I encode them at too high a quality for the iPod to handle), I use up 23 GB. I would consider the 32GB Touch, but it's simply too expensive when i can get the 120GB (or 80GB in my case) for $250.

So really, it all depends on what you want to get out of your iPod. Either way, I would recommend an iPod over TC, especially if you don't have one already.

You are right. Like we have both said it depends on how much storage you use. I could have my current ipod touch for a lifetime and never have that many songs on it(lets say it hold 1350 not 1700 like Apple claims--plus I delete movies after I watch them). I always upgrade every 3 years anyways. 8GB is plenty for me.

I would go with the ipod touch also if I was this guy and save up for the TC.

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
This thread is a classic example of what is wrong with Christmas. Why not wait to see what Santa brings you and have fun in the surprise? Then be grateful for anything you receive even if it doesn't come from Apple.

mgridgaway

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2006
This thread is a classic example of what is wrong with Christmas. Why not wait to see what Santa brings you and have fun in the surprise? Then be grateful for anything you receive even if it doesn't come from Apple.

It's really no different from a Christmas list. It's just a guaranteed Christmas List :p

I figure if someone is going to spend money on me they might as well spend it on something I actually want.

donga

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2005
AZ

"it's not the gift, but the thought that counts" ....mwahahahaha.. don't you know we've been bred to be consumers in this capitalist society? playing on our emotions/feelings to get us to spend $$$$$$$$$

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
It's really no different from a Christmas list. It's just a guaranteed Christmas List :p

I figure if someone is going to spend money on me they might as well spend it on something I actually want.

How about telling them to save their money to pay down a credit card bill or maybe give the money to charity?

Gift want lists takes the spirit out of giving/receiving and it becomes more of an obligation. Making a list of what you WANT seems greedy and presumptuous. Of course, that's the primary reason I don't celebrate that particular holiday like the masses do. I prefer to use the time to relax and hang out with loved ones instead of dealing with the expense and expectations and resulting guilty feelings that go with exchanging gifts. Not to mention the craziness of the malls and grocery stores! But hey, enjoy your iPod or whatever you wind up asking for.

marbles

macrumors 68000
Apr 30, 2008
EU mostly

+1

I never knew if I was going to receive anything at all , never mind what it might be !.
I'd do all the writing of letters to Father Christmas and wish so much for a commodore , a zx81 or electronic battleships and other toys of that time, the excitement I felt by Christmas eve made for a very magical experience for me as a child & for that I am very grateful ......I was happy every Solstice morn, EDIT > with all the magic this time of year brought to me as a child I'd have been happy with an orange and a walk in the snow !

I keep it this way the best I can for my children , I like to have an element of surprise & mystery , it adds a little magic to the occasion , don't you think ...

FrenchPB

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2005

-1. I can't disagree more with that. My parents have never offered me anything I haven't chosen carefully since I was 6 or 7yo. I'm one person who thinks money should be spent wisely, which is why I submit a list so that people don't spend their money on things I don't care about, don't like, or won't use !

It's as simple as that. For surprises, small things can do the trick, or even things hand-made. When it comes time to spend money or for others to spend money for you, it might as well be smart !

marbles

macrumors 68000
Apr 30, 2008
EU mostly
-1. I can't disagree more with that. My parents have never offered me anything I haven't chosen carefully since I was 6 or 7yo. I'm one person who thinks money should be spent wisely, which is why I submit a list so that people don't spend their money on things I don't care about, don't like, or won't use !

It's as simple as that. For surprises, small things can do the trick, or even things hand-made. When it comes time to spend money or for others to spend money for you, it might as well be smart !

just like to say that to a point I agree with you , spending money wisely is excellent idea if you are buying a 'big ticket item ' but why not save that for another time of year ....say in the sales or something ...... just give simple things that actually mean something on the day & make it more special
For kids ( and adults for that matter) I think mystery and magic is the way to go ....

mo-ca

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2005
Germany
just like to say that to a point I agree with you , spending money wisely is excellent idea if you are buying a 'big ticket item ' but why not save that for another time of year ....say in the sales or something ...... just give simple things that actually mean something on the day & make it more special
For kids ( and adults for that matter) I think mystery and magic is the way to go ....
dont you think, that spending 200 bucks or more for a present, you should take your time for your decision?
hell its a present additional to 4gb notebook ram.

but my advice would be time capsule or any other imaging tool, because when your hdd stops working, youll have a hard time in recovering files.

mattniles007

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2005
Michigan
I'd go with Time Capsule, it may not be as fun as an ipod but it would be a great upgrade over your linksys, and would provide storage.

WannabeGeek

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2008
I would go with the time capsule as well. But I do agree with the posters about Christmas is not about getting what YOU want. I only used to do a list when my parents asked but I stopped because I like being surprised by what people give me.

I/wanna/mac

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2008
Tablet surely!

If the rumors are true save up and get yourself an apple tablet surely the coolest gift for xmas, but seriously it is a bit early.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.