I don't know why, but I'm amazed...

JoeKarame

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2005
134
0
I know it shouldn't be that big a thing - I mean, I use XP all the time at work and on my old PC, but the fact that installing the thing on my MBP was so darn easy and the results so bloody impressive means that I'm slightly bewildered by it all!

Just sorting out my old copy of HL2 to see how well it runs and that basically I don't need anything else - OSX for everything I do, XP for a bit of gaming fun!

God bless everyone!
 

harisdmac

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2006
46
0
cool that you feel that way! Are you using parallels or bootcamp for the windows? If you are using parallels, how much ram do you have?
 

JoeKarame

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2005
134
0
harisdmac said:
cool that you feel that way! Are you using parallels or bootcamp for the windows? If you are using parallels, how much ram do you have?
Had to be Bootcamp. I'm running things with a 2ghz MBP with 2gb of RAM, and I have to say Half-Life 2 possibly runs better than it did on my last PC (which I thought was pretty damn good) - It's smooth on the highest widescreen resolution the game has!

Seriously impressed.

Not so impressed with the download time it's taking for HL2:Ep1 to finish! It's gonna be an all nighter for this one!
 

harisdmac

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2006
46
0
Why to do you say had to be Bootcamp? Have you noticed less performance using parallels (with 2GB RAM?)??
 

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
767
0
harisdmac said:
Why to do you say had to be Bootcamp? Have you noticed less performance using parallels (with 2GB RAM?)??
Parallels doesn't support 3D acceleration yet
 

evoluzione

macrumors 68020
i'm also amazed at the whole XP experience on my MacBook (bootcamp).

i had to attempt installation a 2nd time and it sorted itself out, and installation has been a breeze (this from someone with possibly 12 hours of PC experience ever). not as easy as installing OS X mind, but a lot easier than i was anticipating. everything else is fairly straight-forward too. i actually don't mind using XP (pro) on the MB, and i thought i'd hate it. good stuff.

gonna try some games this weekend, first to try out is Football Manager 2006 (i have it on OS X so it'l be interesting to see the differences)
 

JoeKarame

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2005
134
0
evoluzione said:
i'm also amazed at the whole XP experience on my MacBook (bootcamp).

i had to attempt installation a 2nd time and it sorted itself out, and installation has been a breeze (this from someone with possibly 12 hours of PC experience ever). not as easy as installing OS X mind, but a lot easier than i was anticipating. everything else is fairly straight-forward too. i actually don't mind using XP (pro) on the MB, and i thought i'd hate it. good stuff.

gonna try some games this weekend, first to try out is Football Manager 2006 (i have it on OS X so it'l be interesting to see the differences)
I've never minded XP at all - it isn't as nice or user friendly as OSX in any way, shape or form, but coming up from the ranks of Win 3.1, 95 and then the utterly abysmal ME edition (my god, that ranks as the most painful experience of my computing life), XP was a real eye-opener. But it's extremely useful to have both OSs on one machine - especially since the main bulk of my work has to be able to be seen in a Windows environment (I do everything in OSX, but to be able to test it in XP is a godsend).

That, and I'm still getting a buzz out of HL2!