I dont like my SRMB ......

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by byke, Nov 16, 2007.

1. byke macrumors 6502a

byke

Actually the build quality is "so so ", but I hate the OS.
    Leopard is rubbish and I have so many glitches its like using a Beta piece of software.

I was happy with tiger, it worked and I didnt see that much room for improvement. However I was willing to give it a go, but its absolute crap.
    Its basically vista with a worse GUI (how much useless crap did they put on this new OS? generic ichat backdrops that dont work properly etc).

The only improvement I have found with Leopard was the improved "speech" function which I expect is used by less than 1% on a regular basis by mac users.

I thought I may buy a copy of tiger again and put it on this blacbook, but I now realize its not possible either.

Has anybody found a successful way to "Upgrade" from leopard back to tiger?

**rant over**

by the way, my leopard ugly 3d dock has now frozen up so i cant add any programs to the dock.

2. ale500 macrumors regular

I'm willing to accept your machine *and* OS if you do not like them :D.

Personally, I do not like the black color of the black MB, but I'd trade in if it is free :)

1. You must understand that freshly released soft has more problems that mature.
    2. "killall Dock" from the terminal (without quotes), restarts the Dock, I use it on the right, so I avoid the 3d thingy, I do not find either useful (waste of space on the bottom), not particularly nice.
    3. Install the latest update, it may help.
    4. Give windoof a try, to feel what a sucky OS is like :)

I just updated and CiscoVPN stopped working :( (10.5.1). I was just about to make a post in the OS section, what I expect from Cisco's soft ?, it was never good :(

3. marclapierre13 macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

You're rubbish. I dont know what you're problem is, but my leopard runs fine, excpet my keyboard shuts off occasionally.
    Other than that, its 98% good... more than I can say for the 75% good Vista, and the 80% good XP. I run them all, so I know

4. Xil3 macrumors regular

Sorry to say but you my friend are the minority... you're that 1 in a million that complains about an OS that the majority think is perfect.

Not sure what your exact problems are, but most of us are not experiencing them. I just got my MBP last weekend on Saturday and this is my first Mac. I haven't experienced any problems yet with this new OS.

You do realize that you can customize that 'ugly 3d dock' right?

5. byke thread starter macrumors 6502a

byke

My problem is, just like many others.
    The new OS is sub par to the last version.

Even the "smallest" thing such as the keyboard locking up because of the OS is unacceptable. No one would buy a car if the steering kept locking and caused it to work spa-radically, eagerly waiting for a fix from the garage wen they could figure out what was going wrong.

And I cant see why users should be forced into using a new OS which has so many glitches. We are not paid as testers, we are paying consumers.

Even PC users have the right to choose which OS they run on their hardware.

You would think that even if apple didnt want to support an older apple OS that they would at least allow there users to be able to install it on their hardware.

Technically this means the hardware is locked in to the OS which I am sure under many country laws is illegal (france for 1).

I have been a great apple fan for a long time, but just lately with the success of many apple products is seems that apple is loosing sight in terms of the basis to what has made them so popular. simplicity and stability.

I want tiger back, until apple can sort out all their glitches.
    There must be a hack to get it back!

6. foidulus macrumors 6502a

It may or may not be possible, the first thing you would have to do is to find someone who bought an intel restore disc. Next, you need something like this:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20020902050000246

To extract the intel executable. This might work, but its a longshot.

First off, there are no(as far as I know) x3100 drivers for Tiger. Next, and this really annoys me as a corporate user too, Apple tends to not allow people to install older OS versions on new machines. IE any new model that came out after Leopard will probably not allow Tiger to be installed on it. It sucks, and there may be ways around it, but that is how Apple works.

At work we are planning to buy a ton of mac pros, and no updates plus basically being "forced" to upgrade to Leopard is really trying our patience with Apple.

7. byke thread starter macrumors 6502a

byke

thanks, but unfortunately it appears that from other online articles its not possible to upgrade my os to tiger at present.

I just wanted to say that this apple advert : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVaNbkhcRgQ

Kinda seems hypocritical and dishonest given the current state of locked in apples OS.

8. paul.b.davis macrumors 6502

paul.b.davis

well to the OP, why not just return your MB and keep using what you have been before to run Tiger...

Nobody is forcing you to get a new machine...

p.s. if you really hate it that much, just send it my way...hell I'll even pay for the shipping:p

9. ale500 macrumors regular

Hei Paul, I asked for the machine before !, you are second in the queue :) :apple:

10. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

Leopard's perfectly fine for me. The only problems I've had have been with 3rd party apps that depended on certain parts of the OS being a certain way.

There are three computers in my house. My MBP required an Erase and Install because I fiddled with Ubuntu and didn't uninstall correctly. My parents' iMac was a flawless Archive and Install. I still have yet to update my sister's screen-less PowerBook because we need Tiger for Photoshop 7. I have suggested we just partition their iMac so they can have a tiny 5GB partition with Tiger on it but they say we'll see what happens.

I think my most favourite feature is the amount of memory it uses. Tiger used about half of my 1.5GB. Leopard on the other hand, uses only a third.

11. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

That's a pretty bold statement, mind justifying it? How exactly is leopard basically vista?

Apple have never released hardware with the x3100 graphics chip in it before Leopard was released. That means there are no Tiger X3100 drivers. While some people wont like it, what apple are basically doing is ensuring compatibility.

Not true, there is nothing stopping you installing linux, BSD, windows etc on your macbook.

12. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

I would check with the store where you bought it. From your description, you may have received a Dell or HP relogo'ed with a "Hackintosh" verision of OS X installed.

Another way of say... you're out at one end of the bellcurve all alone with this user experience of SRMB/Leopard!

"I have been a great apple fan for a long time" Hmmm... the term "Seminar Caller" comes to my mind when I read that and I don't know why...

13. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Good catch on the Seminar Caller.

Hey byke, how's vista treating you? I guess you love to pay $399 for the Ultimate ripoff, of which its full features don't even run on all currently shipping wintels, and runs sluggish on most wintels.

* Windows Vista Home Basic: $199
    * Windows Vista Home Premium: $239
    * Windows Vista Business: $299
    * Windows Vista Ultimate: $399

As an example, hope you enjoy constantly searching for drivers, have you tried to plug a projector to a vista machine? Good luck finding the proper driver. (why the heck do you need a driver for a standard projector?)

Macs have been auto-detecting and auto-switching resolutions for over 10 years. No extra drivers required. Macs are not perfect, but it's definitely better than the alternatives for most people. If you try to use one seriously, then you would know.

14. byke thread starter macrumors 6502a

byke

It seems like I am in the wrong forum.

I was looking for the macbook forum, where both negative and positive views are expressed freely.

Lets just hope that the haleybop doesn't get an apple logo etched on it.

15. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Shouldn't this really be in the Software/OSX section?

16. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

I don't believe anyone could dislike the MB so much. Just a drive by
    basher....how's the weather in Redmond?

17. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Try www.accuweather.com, you'll get it there!

18. byke thread starter macrumors 6502a

byke

Are you blinded or unable to read ?
    my post is about the Tiger OS not working on newer macs.

It must be due to the load from the s-job making it hard to see.

19. danny_w macrumors 601

Personally, I have never understood why people want to wait for a new machine until it comes with a new OS. I would much rather have a choice (I know, that's not the Apple way). I would much rather buy a system with a stable OS and then buy the new OS after it has stabilized somewhat; the peace of mind and choice of what to run is well worth the $129 to me. If you buy a system that comes with the new OS preinstalled, you have no choice and can't go back if something doesn't work right. I suppose the best possible time to buy is after the new OS is announced but before the are preinstalled.

20. OdduWon macrumors 6502a

OdduWon

iPhone>OSX

Blame the iphone! If :apple: wasn't so busy trying to dominate the phone market, they could have dominated the OS market :rolleyes:. They spent too much time trying to figure out how to keep people from customizing their phones, and not enough ironing out the bugs. But honestly, How far up can you go from tiger in one jump? The leopard will be great, in time. For now, just learn to type without a keyboard :D. Programs in the dock don't work, shift-ctrl- A/U. It seems that as Apple's popularity grows, their costumer respect shrinks. The once "faithful" are now the new winers.

21. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

People who don't want the older OS and want to try out the shiny new OS! Like... ME :D

I didn't care that i couldn't use panther when i bought my macbook!

22. Redline13 macrumors 6502

What glitches are you experiencing? I have the same model Macbook and I haven't had any problems. If you describe them we may be able to help.

23. annexw macrumors newbie

I would generally classify a machine that shuts off the keyboard as significantly less then "98% good".....

TO the OP, sorry your SRMC isn't what you would have wanted. I hope the updates give you some measure of satisfaction. I agree that a Tiger driver for the new video processor would not be out of order.

24. smadder macrumors member

Hmm...

I'm not going to rip you one.

I also got the SR MB ASAP, and wanted to put Tiger on to begin with, but since it's the first computer they have put out that is "built for Leopard" Tiger just doesn't work. At least for me. I haven't tried it with the 10.4.11 update that came out on Wendesday because I said "f87K it" and dove headfirst into Leopard and decided I'd ride with it and be patient. They are so good at putting out patches, firmware updates, etc., and I have faith that it will get better and better. Tiger was glicthy too for me when it first came out. It's just the way of the world. I still like it beter than Vista... I have to keep Vista on my Boot Camp partition for work, but I HATE IT!!! Hate hate hate. That being said, it too will get better with time/development, but Leopard for me is still 110% better than any MS interface I've ever used. It's why I switched... and I'm a long time professional techie too.

I hope that patience will pay off for you. Even the 10.5.1 update from yesterday has made noticeable improvements on mine. It will get better for you! Stick with it - it's going to be salient for a while. This is the first chipset upgrade since MBs came out. They went from CD to C2D w/o a chipset change b/c the upgraded processors were compatible with the platform -- another cool thing about having intel. It'll be hanging out for a bit, I believe, so it will get better.

25. Tshapi macrumors regular

options

The way I see it!

You don't like Leopard because it is in it's infancy.

go back to the Blackbook 2.16 and use tiger til leopard stabalizes. Two partion you computer install and see if you can download drivers or something.

Have you stopped to consider maybe possibly vista copied MacOSX not the other way around.

that leopard could have been leaked to microsoft?