Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

chefwong

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
When I'm running around all day, some areas with weak signals which makes the battery drain faster, when I jump in the car, I charge, etc, etc. IMO, the lighting port is easier on the -insertion- than a USB C and now that as I'm typing this and giving it some thought, the same with removing the cable as well.

Velin

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
Totally agree. Lightning is a great port/connector. Strong and robust, reversible, and the "pins" are on the male portion of the connector, protected because they're sunk in. If you mess up the metal "pins," which is really hard to do on Lightning, no big deal, just get a new relatively cheap cable.

Lightning is what USB-C should have been. I hope Apple never abandons Lightning, it's great.

Reactions: Wide opeN
Comment

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Totally agree. Lightning is a great port/connector. Strong and robust, reversible, and the "pins" are on the male portion of the connector, protected because they're sunk in. If you mess up the metal "pins," which is really hard to do on Lightning, no big deal, just get a new relatively cheap cable.

Lightning is what USB-C should have been. I hope Apple never abandons Lightning, it's great.

Umm i have had my lightning cables fail more often then my USB C ones.... lightning is fine but USB does way more then lightning

Comment

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
It’s not tho.... USB C is superior in every way. That being said I prefer lightning because of all of the cables I have

The only thing that USB-C has that Lightning doesn't have is a Faster File / Data Transfer. What else does USB-C offer over Lightning?

Comment

Camarillo Brillo

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2019
Lol what is with all these posts about the lightning cable? I swear there have been a bunch...

This seems like it’s written by a bot

Why start a new thread just to say you like the lightning cable?

Reactions: jpn
Comment

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
Lol what is with all these posts about the lightning cable? I swear there have been a bunch...

This seems like it’s written by a bot

Why start a new thread just to say you like the lightning cable?
You should have been here when Apple switched from 30-pin to lightning. Oh, the outcry was huge. Now, rarely anyone cares about 30-pin anymore. :D

Comment

steelhauler34

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2019
Only thing I dislike about them is +5 bucks just because a cable has a lightning connector on the end.

Comment

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
Umm i have had my lightning cables fail more often then my USB C ones.... lightning is fine but USB does way more then lightning

I've had 1 lightning cable fail in the past ~7 years, and that was because part of the cable frayed, not the actual connector itself. I have 4 USB-C cables, none of which have failed but they also don't see much use. Cleaning the USB-C port on my Note 9 was much more annoying than cleaning the lightning port though. I prefer the concept of the lightning cable since it's much simpler than USB-C.

Comment

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I don’t mind it because both of my iPad have a lightning connector, so do my AirPods, Apple TV remote and even my nimbus steel remote. So I have so many lightning cables around the house. I’m not in any rush to change to usb C. My MacBook still uses the mag safe connector.

Comment

Camarillo Brillo

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2019
I have to agree. Been using the same lightning cable that came with my iPhone 7 for 3 years, the jack is very secure, cable end doesn’t get stuffed with debris, very solid connection, it works. USB-C is fine but lightning seems more durable for a phone. I’ve got one in my car that always winds up on the passenger floor under somebody’s wet dirty shoes. I wipe it off and it’s always fine.

Now we can stop making new threads about it until Apple actually changes it.

Reactions: Elitegate
Comment

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I've had 1 lightning cable fail in the past ~7 years, and that was because part of the cable frayed, not the actual connector itself. I have 4 USB-C cables, none of which have failed but they also don't see much use. Cleaning the USB-C port on my Note 9 was much more annoying than cleaning the lightning port though. I prefer the concept of the lightning cable since it's much simpler than USB-C.

It’s the same thing... you plug them in either way and it works. I can show you pictures of my lightning cable that’s works only one way because it has burnt marks or whatever on the pins.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.