iPhone I don't miss Siri.

Brien

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
Finally did it, turned Siri off completely, remapped the side button to OG voice control. Already had suggestions, shortcuts etcetera all disabled - do not even notice it's off.

Anyone else have Siri completely off? Any complaints?

MarkC426

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
UK
Have never used or had Siri on with any device.
First thing I do on the startup after an update is select no to Siri.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
Really, I had no idea this was a thing. So do you have Homekit devices or a Homepod? I tell her via my watch all the time to add things to my reminders lists. I use Siri in the car to send and receive messages, play music, do you guys just look at your iPhone while you drive? Certainly you’re not interacting with the display and driving, you must have CarPlay or something. I really am curious.

Reactions: Jxdawg

TiggrToo

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2017
Out there...way out there
Finally did it, turned Siri off completely, remapped the side button to OG voice control. Already had suggestions, shortcuts etcetera all disabled - do not even notice it's off.

Anyone else have Siri completely off? Any complaints?
Who's "Siri"? 🤔

Oh yes, that irritating thing that would invariably pop up when I would ask the question "Are you serious?" of someone...

Reactions: NBKindaGirl

Itinj24

macrumors 65816
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I find Siri to be fantastic in CarPlay, on the HomePod and especially with AirPods. I’m sure there are varying experiences out there but she does what I need her to most of the time.

Reactions: me55

MarkC426

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
UK
Really, I had no idea this was a thing. So do you have Homekit devices or a Homepod? I tell her via my watch all the time to add things to my reminders lists. I use Siri in the car to send and receive messages, play music, do you guys just look at your iPhone while you drive? Certainly you’re not interacting with the display and driving, you must have CarPlay or something. I really am curious.
Nothing is that urgent.
If I get a call/message in the car I see it when I get to wherever I am going..... :p
Don‘t do talking to devices either, unless someone is at the other end.

jschnee21

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2018
Who's "Siri"?

Oh yes, that irritating thing that would invariably pop up when I would ask the question "Are you serious?" of someone...
THIS +100!

Siri has always sucked IMHO. Apple voice dictation used to work better in pre 13 iOS versions but after commingling it with Siri in iOS 13 it’s taken a nose dive as well.

I rarely talk to devices. Certainly not in public. But I do find that Alexa (Amazon music app in the car) is fantastic for choosing music to listen to. And Alexa in the kitchen is super helpful for creating and naming multiple kitchen timers hands free while cooking, washing hands, etc.

Richard8655

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago
Never liked Siri, Alexa, Cortana, and the whole lot of them. All always turned off. Just made me feel like a helpless child always asking mommy for something.

Reactions: MarkC426

MisterSavage

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2018
I use Siri all the time for sending text messages and setting reminders. It can be way faster than entering them manually. She's dumber than a box of rocks usually for "answering" questions so I never do that.

Reactions: brgjoe

achappy

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2017
I use Siri all the time for sending text messages and setting reminders. It can be way faster than entering them manually. She's dumber than a box of rocks usually for "answering" questions so I never do that.
Exactly. People need to stop expecting a fully intelligent AI and just use Siri for what she's good at. I use Siri quite a bit for the same reasons. Reading and responding to text, reminders, timers, getting directions or business information, etc. Siri is crucial for me when using my Watch or CarPlay. Even for the basic web based information like "Who's leading the MLB American League East" or "Who's leading the PGA tournament"?.

MisterSavage

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2018
Exactly. People need to stop expecting a fully intelligent AI and just use Siri for what she's good at. I use Siri quite a bit for the same reasons. Reading and responding to text, reminders, timers, getting directions or business information, etc. Siri is crucial for me when using my Watch or CarPlay. Even for the basic web based information like "Who's leading the MLB American League East" or "Who's leading the PGA tournament"?.
It would be pretty unthinkable for me to set a reminder via my Apple Watch without Siri. It's something I do all the time.

eoblaed

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2010
Never liked Siri, Alexa, Cortana, and the whole lot of them. All always turned off. Just made me feel like a helpless child always asking mommy for something.
Interesting that's the perspective you chose to have with those virtual assistants.

Personally, when I use Siri, it just feels like another tool I'm using to help get my devices to do what I want them to.