I don't need it now, still buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by stevenash13, Jul 7, 2013.

  1. stevenash13 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2013
    #1
    Hi,

    I'd like to know what you guys think about this:

    I currently own an old Asus Laptop which still serves me well but end of August I'm going to study a semester abroad. As the laptop will be my primary computer then I want to get a new MBA 13".

    The thing is that I will need it end of august but right now I actually don't. I still have the old laptop which is fine for my occasional surfing on the couch and ofc my desktop PC.

    So people keep saying that the best moment to buy a mac is when you need it, but as apple prices don't drop over time, B2S already launched and we won't see any major changes it would make no difference whether I buy now or in 2 months, right? I'm not in desperate need of a new computer, but I won't hurt to buy it now and play around on it.

    On the other hand people are complaining about some issues which might be fixed until then. Some people say that the first batch of a new released product contain more faulty machines. Additionally Mavericks could be released soon so I either get it instantly or I'm in the window where I can get it for free. And of course there is the rMBP release. I actually don't intend to go for the rMBP because I like the portability of the MBA but there was a recent article saying that the new rMBP could even become more portable, so who knows, maybe I'm jumping on that train?

    Thats just my thoughts, what do you think? Should I get it now so I can get used to it and play around or should I just wait as waiting is no problem to me?

    Thanks!
     
  2. appleisking macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 24, 2013
    #2
    Hey, I would say wait. As somebody who bought a macbook pro about a week after it was released for college that didn't start 2 months after the purchase, I know your position well. It had a few problems, nothing major that required actual fixing, but there were a few bugs here and there, and with that new wifi issue on the macbook air, perhaps it would be best to wait until those are fixed up to avoid hassles.
     
  3. flynz4 macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2009
    Location:
    Portland, OR
    #3
    If you are getting a MBA... then I would buy it now. It was just updated.

    This is especially true if you are moving to a Mac for the first time. This gives you time to get accustomed to it... and determine what software you may want in advance of "needing" it as your primary machine.

    /Jim
     
  4. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

    Santabean2000

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2007
    #4
    The usual advice is buy when you need it, but in this case you're not looking at a long enough gap to when you do to warrant any waiting.

    If you have the money, buy now and get familiar; set it up.
     
  5. Ifti macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2010
    Location:
    UK
    #5
    The BTS promo will still be running at the end of August.
    The MBA won't be updated for a while now, probably not for the rest of this year.
    I'm pretty sure you are fine to wait and buy end of August - no point getting it now and wasting a months warranty ;)
     

Share This Page