Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
Despite my current problems with the MB, I don't regret buying it . I do kind of wish that the C2D's were released earlier - those things fly! What's with this speed for the sake of it though? :p My MB does its job well.

YT

djinn

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2003
people that regret buying a Macbook are friggin crazy

my Macbook is so sick that I almost can't take it......I've only had it for a week, but still it's so great.

2 Gigs of RAM, Running on wireless N, I seriously can't believe how fast my internet is now.

Gaming? please, I play a ton of games in bootcamp (which BTW was a breeze to install) Whoever said you can't game on a Macbook is seriously confused, ok....maybe not the heavy heavy games like Oblivion, (even though I had it running, just not well enough for me to justify the amount of HD space it took up) but I've been playing NBA Live, Madden 07, Neverwinter nights 2, Final Fantasy 7, GTA 3.....good times.

Smudges and finger prints? please, a little wipey wipe with my sleeve clears that up. Trackpad? I could see this being an issue, so II got these Trackpad covers, and they work PERFECTLY and are easy to remove and leave no residue....Glossy? Love it, but I guess I could see how some folks don't....

Too hot? nope, gets a little warm when I'm makin beats in Ableton or Gband, or playing games...but nothing to start a thread about...

When I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a Macbook, this forum did it's best to dissuade me, glad I didn't listen to the whiners, cuz I LOVE my Macbook, and YOU WILL TOO !!

good times.

How bad do the black macbooks become glossy? And does it make the laptop look that bad?

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
I just simply wipe down my black MB with a little bit of iClean and a microfiber cloth from time to time and it takes all of the smudges and fingerprints right off. Considering it was $500 less than the entry level MBP, I can deal with that. :)

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
My MacBook is fantastic. Great for biking around with, small, light, fast. Best computer I've ever had. Makes a great laptop, and hooked up to my 24" screen - desktop as well. Woo MacBook!

Rovias

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2005
How bad do the black macbooks become glossy? And does it make the laptop look that bad?

The only spot that really becomes glossy is the trackpad and space bar, and as someone here mentioned earlier, wiping it with a microfiber cloth will easily fix the problem.

The outside casing of the MacBook is pretty resistant to fingerprints, at least in my experience. Of course, some people have greasier hands than others, but I also think Apple did something to the casing on the Rev. B MacBooks to make them more fingerprint resistant. From what I've read, the Rev. A MacBooks show fingerprints more. Of course, this may just be a load of bunk.

djinn

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2003
The only spot that really becomes glossy is the trackpad and space bar, and as someone here mentioned earlier, wiping it with a microfiber cloth will easily fix the problem.

The outside casing of the MacBook is pretty resistant to fingerprints, at least in my experience. Of course, some people have greasier hands than others, but I also think Apple did something to the casing on the Rev. B MacBooks to make them more fingerprint resistant. From what I've read, the Rev. A MacBooks show fingerprints more. Of course, this may just be a load of bunk.

What about the wrist area?

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
no problem

I had no problem getting used to the wrist wrest quickly. The problem for me has been the glossy screen, seems to hurt my eyes after a while, or in certain settings.

pjarvi

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2006
Clovis, CA
I used to have 4 computers. 2 WinXP machines, and a Mac Mini. I've sold them all and replaced them with just one system: a MacBook (black :cool:). As I'm typing this I've got EyeTV up on the MacBook's screen (watching Smart Travels on PBs btw), and Firefox open on a 21" Gateway LCD running at 1680x1050.

This one machine does everything I need, except for play games. I've got an Xbox360 and a Wii for games. Although, I did just pick up Trackmania today and plan on booting into WinXP a little later tonight to play that.

The Pro series just didn't make any sense to me. $500 more for a mid-range mobile graphics chip, and oversized case??? No thanks. :rolleyes:

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
Best. Purchase. Ever.

After buying it online with an NUS discount, and then upgrading the RAM myself, and then getting a half price Dell 24" monitor to use it with, the Macbook is definitely the best purchase I've ever made in terms of utility. And very good value for money. Though I've probably halved the life of my DVD drive by constant use of MacTheRipper and Handbrake.

The problem is its now given me the Apple bug and I want to buy a desktop this summer, but I've since learnt that Apple really don't like upgrading their hardware. I'm too much of a geek and I'd get bored having nothing new to drool over every month :S

djinn

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2003
I read and heard that the matte finish on the wrist pad wears off and reveals a shiny surface. That would suck.

Rovias

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2005
What about the wrist area?

Sorry, I can't vouch for that. The way I type, my wrists don't touch the laptop. They just hover above the wrist rest area. I also put a skin/shield over mine, so they don't get greasy when I do happen to rest my wrists.

AFAIK, it hasn't been a huge complaint from other MacBook owners.

arcobb

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
Colorado
I love my MacBook and wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. I would like a MBP however I will not consider it until they change the casing to something other then the Aluminum. I've had 3 PowerBooks and they all suffered from the pitting problem on the wrist pad. Maybe I have acidic hands or what ever, but the plastic case is the way for me to go. For screen size I'm waiting for the iMacs to update and I'll be picking up a 24 incher for home and then I'll have my portable for the coffee shop.

skwij

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2006
Belleville, ON, Canada
I too love my MB, the midrange one with 1G ram and the dual-layer superdrive. Got my fave mouse plugged in to reduce wear and tear on the tracpad and wrist area.

I'll probably upgrade the ram, and get an external HDD with enclosure. No biggie, and not imminent or needed right at this minute.

I just couldn't justify the rediculous price difference in the MB vs the MBP.

This is a beautiful little computer, does what I ask it to with no moaning or groaning, looks cute/sexy as hell, and gets looks whenever I power her up in public.

Even PS CS doesn't stress her out overmuch (yes, mine's a girlie-mac ;) )

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

Badly. Especially on the trackpad & button and the spacebar. They start to look worn after a couple of months

I just simply wipe down my black MB with a little bit of iClean and a microfiber cloth from time to time and it takes all of the smudges and fingerprints right off. Considering it was $500 less than the entry level MBP, I can deal with that. :)

Takes the smudges & fingerprints off, but does nothing for the trackpad or keys looking worn.

For black macbook protection (as well as white and macbook pro silver)

Best bet is to buy a Moshi Black Macbook palm rest / trackpad / button cover. Works excellently to protect your macbook - but its only precautionary and doesnt work in retrospect if you already have a worn trackpad. But if you want to keep your macbook looking like new its - $20 well spent.

kpm

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2007
I am now content, nay, happy even, with my MacBook...

I had a bit of an ordeal with my MacBook. I wanted a small laptop and the ultra portables with similar specs to the 13" MacBook were considerably more pricey. From one half to one third more! So I waited for the MacBook release and bought one when they first hit the shelf. That was a mistake! The first generation MacBooks were riddled with defects, and I got one that had them all... but after much craziness, I finally got a replacement, a black one, and I am now very very happy with it. Never again will I be an 'early adopter'. I wrote about my experience, it is a long story, you can check it out at http://www.brokenmacbook.com

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
I was one of the many people faced with the choice of MacBook or MacBook Pro. Earlier this month, I finally threw down the money for a black MacBook, as I couldn't justify the Pro's higher price tag. Many of my Mac-using friends thought I was crazy. Now a couple of weeks later I am SO HAPPY I made the right choice! My MacBook is amazing! I upped the RAM to 2 gigs and it just screams.

So this thread is dedicated to all of you, the MacBook users. Post your happy experiences using this wonderful machine! :D

Why get a black Macbook when for like $200 more you can get a Macbook Pro from the refurb store?

gonnabuyamac

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2006
Have a MBP C2D, but...

I have a 15.4" MBP C2D, which is my first Mac. I love it - it's powerful, and has everything I could possibly want in a laptop... but, in hindsight I wish I would have went for a MacBook. I don't do any gaming, so the graphics card probably never really gets used that much. I would like the portability of the MacBook, though the MBP isn't that un-portable. However, I could have got an external monitor AND a MacBook for less than the MBP.

Anyway, my wife needs a new computer 'cause her old Vaio is starting to have problems. I'm thinking about just giving her this relatively new MBP and getting myself a MacBook. :D

RaMaz09

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2007
i love my MB great Machine, mine is Loaded!!!!!! :D

Apple MacBook (Black) 2GB/200GB/C2D/OS X 10.4.9 & Vista Ultimate (BootCamp)

VortexOfPain

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2006
Add one more to the "I love my MacBook" thread. I use mine for gaming, as a portable DVD player, as an iPod (big but portable! :), and I love the size. I'll throw it in my hydration pack and head out on a trail with a GPS and topomaps. Excellent performance, excellent battery life. Just a killer computer and a killer price (and with Bootcamp the value is even higher, two computers in one!)

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Badly. Especially on the trackpad & button and the spacebar. They start to look worn after a couple of months

Takes the smudges & fingerprints off, but does nothing for the trackpad or keys looking worn.

Well, I guess YMMV, but I certainly haven't experienced that issue with mine anyway.

furcalchick

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2006
South Florida
i love the macbook, it's small and compact so i can take it almost anywhere. the pros were a bit too big for me and not as portable, and a computer at twice the price didn't really appeal to me. and aluminum didn't fly with me, white is all right. i was thinking about getting a black one for a bit to match the black ipod, but the price increase (only about 50 bucks with my c2d) and the un-apple like look made me get the high end white with maxed out ram instead.

and i love the keyboard, much better for my very large hands. i know some complain about it, but it's the best keyboard i've had. i just don't like the feel of the pro keyboard though...

no, i don't regret getting the macbook one bit. i'm just sick of the pandering of the macbook as a internet/word processing weakling, when it's nearly as powerful as the pros minus the graphics (that could have been nice). i would say unless you need lots of screen real estate and graphic intense apps all the time, the macbook would serve you fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.