I don't remember HOW I originally did this ?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LBLM, Apr 20, 2008.

1. LBLM macrumors newbie

I had my G4 Quicksilver set -up with OS 10.3.9 running OS 9....? (I DON'T remember which version) in "Classic Mode" so I could open up my old Quark 3.3 application.
    I developed Corrupted software with the Computer running incredibly slow. I did a Clean Install. No hardware damage.
    (I forgot it was long ago) how I set-up Classic Mode. I just nstalled 10.3 and upgraded to 10.3.9 But now I can't install OS 9. Do I have to re-fomat the HD to first install OS 9, upgrade to 9.1( up to 9.2.2 if I want) and THEN, install 10.3.

MAC G4 Quicksilver
    867 MHz
    512Gig
    Is there any special way to install 10.3 so I don't erase the 9.0 System Folder ? Thanks.

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

If you have the original installation disks that came with your G4, you'll find the classic environment amongst the 'optional installs' on one of the disks.

3. LBLM thread starter macrumors newbie

If you have the original installation disks

I'm not the original owner. It didn't come with any installation disks.
    But, I have the Apple 10.3 OS installation Disks(that I bought from Apple).

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

10.3 and 9 should be able to exist on the same partition. If you do not want 10.3 to destroy the OS 9 folder then just do not erase and install.

When you installed 10.3 did you format the drive with disk utility. You need to check the option to install Mac OS 9 drivers or something of that nature in disk utility for Mac OS 9 to be bootable. It has been a while since I had both on one machine.

I always chose to leave OS 9 and 10 on separate partitions. Actually my old Powermac G4 had three hard drives so I kept the two on separate drives.

You will need a Mac OS 9 install disc.

5. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Sadly, the retail disks didn't come with OS9, it was sold as a separate operating system - it's only the hardware-specific disks that came with both.

If you can get hold of OS9 (You'll need 9.2) disks, you can still install it in the normal way - just don't format the hard drive! ;) You can then use the 'startup disk' control panel to boot back into 10.3x and running the 'Classic' prefpane will then allow you to configure classic to run under OS X.

6. LBLM thread starter macrumors newbie

When you installed 10.3 did you format the drive with disk utility. You need to check the option to install Mac OS 9 drivers

I don't remember if I did that. It was a very long time since I had the G4 set-up for "Classic Mode" that I forgot all about it. BUT,,, a Clean INstall was done because I had no other choice.

If you can get hold of OS9 (You'll need 9.2) disks, you can still install it in the normal way - just don't format the hard drive! You can then use the 'startup disk' control panel to boot back into 10.3x and running the 'Classic' prefpane will then allow you to configure classic to run under OS

I tried 9.0 and 9.1 no luck. Won't Install. I get a blinking Folder with a ? mark.
    Even when I set -up as boot in Utility. I was told I need 9.2.1 is that correct ? I thought 9.2 was an upgrade ? Is it a FULL INSTALL ?

I 'm sorry you mean DON'T FORMAT the HD When installing OS 9 ? ( Because I ALREADY Formatted when I did the Clean Install, THEN... I Installed 10.3 and upgraded to 10.3.9( as I had before the trouble started).

7. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

9.2 was an upgrade to OS 9 however by the time the QS G4 was out OS 9 was at 9.2 and Macs pretty much never work with an OS released before them. So the OS 9 discs by then came with all 9.2 updates incorporated.

8. LBLM thread starter macrumors newbie

and Macs pretty much never work with an OS released before them

OK Thanks. Now.. I have to buy 9.2.1. I have it somewhere But, I can't find it. I hope 9.2 Installs.