Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RNGesus

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2016
Southern California
I'm not really a tech geek, so the "it just works" is what works for me. Also, now that I have an iPad and a MacBook, I love the interconnectivity of all the devices.

I'm sure things have changed but I tried the S4 back when you couldn't get a big screen on the iPhone. Other than the larger screen, I hated it. Again, all these laters things might be different but iOS just did all the little things better than Android and those are the things that mattered to me more.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

Wyckham

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2017
Totally get that. Some people don't want to.

But being absolutist about iOS not letting you tweak your phone and not letting you customize it ignores the fact that jailbreaks exist and that there are people (I am one) who DO jailbreak iOS to do EXACTLY that.

We jailbreakers get the "simplicity" of iOS with the ability to customize like Android.

That said, don't think this is what I am doing all the time (customizing things). I have a set viewpoint of what I want my device to look like and once a jailbreak drops I customize my device to that image. And then I walk away and leave it the hell alone.

Except for my wallpaper and tweak/app updates, nothing has changed in over a year on my iPhone.

Yeah with your old version of iOS it could be used to mine cryptocurrently or all your intimate moments "captured" on mic or camera:

https://www.theverge.com/2016/8/25/12651206/apple-iphone-security-threat-update-now

https://www.kaspersky.com/blog/pegasus-spyware/14604/

https://www.lookout.com/trident-pegasus-enterprise-discovery

Last edited:

sumsingwong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2012
You are an outlier.

Maybe in your own little iOS world. My workplace employs 5000+ and the majority of iPhone users are young females. The majority of the grown men carry Androids. Especially in IT. I’ve only seen one other person with an X besides me. I also have a Note 8 and use it for much more productivity than my X.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'm not in the habit of clicking on random links sent to me by people or entities I do not know, which is the method this spear-phishing attack you mention uses.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newtons Apple

Wyckham

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2017
I'm not in the habit of clicking on random links sent to me by people or entities I do not know, which is the method this spear-phishing attack you mention uses.

Those are well known websites, I get your point but its nonsense. Check malware such as hummingbad, humminghwhale or ones we dont yet know about that will jailbreak/root devices over the air without even needing to trick the user into clicking on anything. Lots of ways to get you, your bluetooth and wifi is currently easy to hack into a child could do it. Only fixed in iOS 11.1 - its also public knowledge. This is just with your wifi and bluetooth radius. Then try shared wifi connections and so on.... You are an easy target while on a jailbroken device

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Those are well known websites, I get your point but its nonsense. Check malware such as hummingbad, humminghwhale or ones we dont yet know about that will jailbreak/root devices over the air without even needing to trick the user into clicking on anything. Lots of ways to get you, your bluetooth and wifi is currently easy to hack into a child could do it. Only fixed in iOS 11.1 - its also public knowledge. This is just with your wifi and bluetooth radius. Then try shared wifi connections and so on.... You are an easy target while on a jailbroken device
Look, I understand your point. But I'm not going to stop jailbreaking and update.

The only time I use WiFi is in my car, connected to my SyncUP Drive which is a mobile cellular hotspot. I pay for unlimited data and I use it. I'm not paying my carrier for WiFi.

And the only time I use Bluetooth is at home or at work with specific devices extremely rarly. I don't normally use it at all. And lest you think work is a hotbed of possible attack vectors, it's a two story building with a maximum of 10 employees, all of whom I know.

You can find me at one of three places. Work. Home. Coffee shop. And the coffee shop is not Starbucks and only every once in a while on a weekend. And again my phone is on cellular with BT off (and not the iOS 11 off, the iOS 9 off).

Consequently, I'm not putting myself or my device out there to be attacked.

BLUEBLASTER

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2016
I've had my share of flagship Android phones within weeks of their release (Motorola Droid 2, Galaxy S4, Galaxy S7 Edge), and after my brief little love affair is over, I always find myself wishing that I got the latest iPhone model that year.

The reason is simple, I don't want to tweak my phone non stop and customize it. The nicest thing about Android IMO is using Google's services integrated, but if you don't have a Nexus/Pixel device, then you're going to run into the bloat from the handset manufacturer that nerfs the functionality of Android. Sure you could flash a custom rom on it (or whatever) and go to stock, but why bother? I'd rather just get an iPhone and call it a day.

Case in point: I'm a Youtube Red subscriber (it's a great service honestly), and it runs better on my iPhone X than it did on my Galaxy S7 Edge last year. The functionality is just better... especially over bluetooth in the car (which is where I utilize the service the most, because I listen to music on Youtube that's not on Apple Music). I did Google Play Music and it just was a mess on the Galaxy S7. The tracks repeat constantly, there's no scrubbing functions, the bluetooth connectivity is spotty, etc... If you're going to buy an Android get a Pixel 2 XL.

Some of my techie friends that I went to college with do not understand why I'm so into the iPhone, but honestly for mobile I just want a simple OS with the functions that I need to use it quickly. Whenever I used Android, I would always just have apps in a grid anyway with the Google search bar on top (I wish that was integrated when I swiped left on iPhone honestly because it's a handy feature).

I really don't. I have the 7 plus after having the S1 S3 and Note 4 and will be going back to Android after my contract is up. I cannot stand Apple's eco system.

Wyckham

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2017
Look, I understand your point. But I'm not going to stop jailbreaking and update.

The only time I use WiFi is in my car, connected to my SyncUP Drive which is a mobile cellular hotspot. I pay for unlimited data and I use it. I'm not paying my carrier for WiFi.

And the only time I use Bluetooth is at home or at work with specific devices extremely rarly. I don't normally use it at all. And lest you think work is a hotbed of possible attack vectors, it's a two story building with a maximum of 10 employees, all of whom I know.

You can find me at one of three places. Work. Home. Coffee shop. And the coffee shop is not Starbucks and only every once in a while on a weekend. And again my phone is on cellular with BT off (and not the iOS 11 off, the iOS 9 off).

Consequently, I'm not putting myself or my device out there to be attacked.

Fair enough I work with mobile security systems have a passion about this :)

Reactions: eyoungren

neverloyal

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2017
I have a 6s, I liked it. I have a pixel 2 xl I like it. I slightly prefer Android over IOS.

IOS is as stable as a phone gets, apps are sometimes better (probably due to the uniformity of ios hardware) performance was always good until the throttling. I imagine having an iphone/ipad/mac etc would be a great ecosystem to be all in.

Android appeals to my customisation wants and it being more open, I feel like I can do more with android. More varied hardware options is a plus too. When I want to change devices I feel like im getting a new experience compared to going from one iphone to another.

I like both, I liked windows phone too, but the app support was so terrible that I could never last on it.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
Maybe in your own little iOS world. My workplace employs 5000+ and the majority of iPhone users are young females. The majority of the grown men carry Androids. Especially in IT. I’ve only seen one other person with an X besides me. I also have a Note 8 and use it for much more productivity than my X.

Where I work they had to recall all the Samsungs due to security problems. Now everyone has an iPhone.

Of course I should add that I do "productivity" from my work Windows laptop, so I only use my work iPhone for calendar/email/etc. I don't manage servers and RDP and code from any phone. Too little of a screen.

Last edited:

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA

Haha so only females use iPhone's and "grown men" use Androids. Got it. My company of 15,000 will only issue iPhone's for security reasons. Every situation is different, but it seems that you have a very sexist company / point of view.

Wyckham

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2017
Where I work they had to recall all the Samsungs due to security problems. Now everyone has an iPhone.

Of course I should add that I do "productivity" from my work Windows laptop, so I only use my work iPhone for calendar/email/etc. I don't manage servers and RDP and code from any phone. Too little of a screen.

They did it wrong then with the Samsungs as Samsung & Blackberry are the Kings of security within
Critical Capabilities for High-Security Mobility Management

https://www.gartner.com/doc/reprints?id=1-3NMBFVT&ct=161211&st=sb

They should have used samsung Knoxx with an MDM like Blackberry / Mobile Iron etc

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
They did it wrong then with the Samsungs as Samsung & Blackberry are the Kings of security within

They should have used samsung Knoxx with an MDM like Blackberry / Mobile Iron etc

I know with the US Govt - the federal employees can ask for an iPhone or an Android phone - though I wouldn't want one - all touch id is disabled and they have to enter a 15? character password just to access the phone every time they turn it on. lol. A lot of Govt. people I work with wish they had their blackberries with physical keyboards back.

Wyckham

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2017
I know with the US Govt - the federal employees can ask for an iPhone or an Android phone - though I wouldn't want one - all touch id is disabled and they have to enter a 15? character password just to access the phone every time they turn it on. lol. A lot of Govt. people I work with wish they had their blackberries with physical keyboards back.

Latest Blackberry handsets are their best yet... On Android now with physical keyboards. Blackberry is the only Android which has not been rooted yet, due to hardware chips designed inside.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Fair enough I work with mobile security systems have a passion about this :)
Ahhh…understandable!

Yes, I am aware of the risks and I do my best to mitigate them. Part of jailbreaking is accepting the responsibility for your own security rather than ceding that to Apple.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Latest Blackberry handsets are their best yet... On Android now with physical keyboards. Blackberry is the only Android which has not been rooted yet, due to hardware chips designed inside.

Yeah I've heard by word of mouth that several generals are refusing to get an iPhone or Android - they managed to get a blackberry and the only way they're giving them up is by someone prying the phones out of their cold dead hands lol. I never got to use one but I heard a lot of good about Blackberry. No idea how the US Govt. expects their employees to use an iPhone or Android where a 15 character pw has to be typed in just to unlock the screen, then ANOTHER to access email. ?!

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016

Actually most security experts will tell you one of the biggest issues is fragmentation... Android and Samsung devices are the most fragmented period.

Are there other factors sure, but fragmentation is a massive Android problem.. Samsung phones are very slow, if ever to update.

iOS releases update or security patch --> Instantly pushed to all eligible devices
Google releases update or security patch --> Goes to Samsung -- Maybe Samsung, after months, sends it to the carriers -- At some point, maybe, the carriers push it to the device.

Androids-Distribution-Numbers-for-January-2018-Shows-Oreo-at-0.7.png

elmateo487

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
I always wonder what world these people move in, that people around them care what phone they have. Or that they care what people think of what phone they have.

I have a dad where literally the only thing he is annoying about is his hate for Apple. It all goes back to not letting him get music off his iPod.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
No idea how the US Govt. expects their employees to use an iPhone or Android where a 15 character pw has to be typed in just to unlock the screen, then ANOTHER to access email. ?!
My nine year old daughter uses a passphrase that's longer than 15 characters to unlock her iPhone 5. :D

I knew it would be easier for her to remember than a password.
[doublepost=1520262476][/doublepost]
I have a dad where literally the only thing he is annoying about is his hate for Apple. It all goes back to not letting him get music off his iPod.
My son rolls his eyes at me when I mention my iPhones running any version of iOS that is older than the current version. He likes being up to date. :)

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Actually most security experts will tell you one of the biggest issues is fragmentation... Android and Samsung devices are the most fragmented period.

Are there other factors sure, but fragmentation is a massive Android problem.. Samsung phones are very slow, if ever to update.

iOS releases update or security patch --> Instantly pushed to all eligible devices
Google releases update or security patch --> Goes to Samsung -- Maybe Samsung, after months, sends it to the carriers -- At some point, maybe, the carriers push it to the device.

Androids-Distribution-Numbers-for-January-2018-Shows-Oreo-at-0.7.png
Umm security patches are monthly. My Note 8 gets the monthly security patches of the current month around the 23rd of each month. My current security patch is February 1st. These are separate from OS patches.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Umm security patches are monthly. My Note 8 gets the monthly security patches of the current month around the 23rd of each month. My current security patch is February 1st. These are separate from OS patches.

Umm, not entirely true!

Newly just released phones, maybe........ My son has an S7 that has not been updated in months as far as the monthly security patches go.. The OS update itself? LOL

Check back in a year or so from now and lets see if the same holds true for the Note 8.... My guess is that Note 8 will have long joined the fragmented, slow security patch and no OS update list of Androids..

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011

Um, I work for the government, and my touchID is enabled. And they do not allow androids at my agency. It isn't one of the smaller agencies.

But you are right on the blackberries. Even I wish I had mine back lol. For what I need my work phone to do, it worked brilliantly. Needless to say, I don't do anything personal on that iPhone anyway.
[doublepost=1520263368][/doublepost]

This is true, but we don't get to use them in the government yet as far as I know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.