I don't think it is possible, but looking at options!

DrakkenWar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
San Antonio,Texas
Hey all,

Trying to sort out some options here with a limited budget, so here goes:

My wife's uncle has come to live with us. Through a series of events that is life we have become his guardians. Currently, he has a POS dell tower that came with him that barely runs Windows 7 hooked up to an extra 36" lcd I had in the garage. And while it is working for the most part (he really doesn't do much more than light web browsing). For ease of network administration I would love to get him on a mac. However, the only extra I have at the moment is my 17" G4 iLamp. Is there anyway feasibly to connect this beauty to the T.V.? Or would it be more cost effective to look at a G4 mini for a good price?
As I said, funds are tight currently, since moving to California employment has been difficult at best to find, and let me tell ya. The income of a TechSeargent in the Airforce for a family of now 5 is really not all that much.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.:D

jgc

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2012
Canada
Hey all,

Trying to sort out some options here with a limited budget, so here goes:

My wife's uncle has come to live with us. Through a series of events that is life we have become his guardians. Currently, he has a POS dell tower that came with him that barely runs Windows 7 hooked up to an extra 36" lcd I had in the garage. And while it is working for the most part (he really doesn't do much more than light web browsing). For ease of network administration I would love to get him on a mac. However, the only extra I have at the moment is my 17" G4 iLamp. Is there anyway feasibly to connect this beauty to the T.V.? Or would it be more cost effective to look at a G4 mini for a good price?
As I said, funds are tight currently, since moving to California employment has been difficult at best to find, and let me tell ya. The income of a TechSeargent in the Airforce for a family of now 5 is really not all that much.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.:D
Does the 36" LCD have a VGA connection?

DrakkenWar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
San Antonio,Texas
Thank ya MacMan! As always, good info!

It is technically possible according to the information here:
http://www.ehow.com/how_8496789_hook-up-mac-lg-vga.html

The problem you have is the way the ilamp sends it's video signals, It's kinda boring and technical, so I won't post it all here. I think with some appropriate cables and a little fiddling, you may get it to work.
That was a what I was afraid off, I think the easier option will be to find a cheap mini on the interwebs to fit the bill. But thank ya for your quick reply