I don't think it's wise to suggest people to buy iPod Touch 5G anymore

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sherlockeb, Aug 1, 2014.

1. sherlockeb macrumors newbie

Macrumors buyers guide suggests people should buy an iPod touch now but considering it has A5 chip in it and Apple is likely to launch a new one alongside the new iPhone I wouldn't recommend people to buy a new one and I'm pretty sure it's just a mistake at macrumors buyers guide but I don't know how to contact them from there so I'm gonna post it here and hope they'll fix it.

Attached Files:

2. Andy-UK macrumors member

As much as I love the iPod Touch it looks like its days of regular updates are over. Hold out for an update at the end of the year if you want to but the recent price cut and standardised line-up look like an end-of-life move to me. Apple will keep it in production, just as they do the other iPods, but realistically they're not going to invest in upgrading a product which dropped 55% in sales this year.

3. me7 macrumors regular

These figures are misleading because the touch that was sold during last year was an outdated model. You should compare the sales figure change to the iPhone 5 (not 5S) during the same period, which was equally outdated at the same time.

4. sherlockeb thread starter macrumors newbie

It'll become obsolete in a couple of months. Why would anybody buy a device that can't handle latest apps and games, if someone is looking for a device to play music iPod nano or classic would be a much better choice. I think they'll upgrade it this year and that might be the reason of the price cuts.

5. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    I think the iPod Touch 5G is a terrific device and if asked by another adult, would certainly recommend it. I've no interest in using it for gaming; it's perfect for many other things such as communications and music, plus it takes great photos which I can share just about instantly.

Best of all, no data plan required.

6. sherlockeb thread starter macrumors newbie

I've had one since the first day and it sure is a great device I'd just wait for a while to see if Apple releases an iPod Touch 6G is all. It would have a better camera faster CPU and it would be superior to 5G in pretty much everyway. I know I'd kick myself if a device I bought became obsolete in a couple of months.

7. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

It will not be upgraded this year and the current Touch 5 can handle well the latest apps and games. For the current price points, I still highly recommend buying a Touch 5.

8. Ffosse macrumors 65816

No data plan required on my iPhone.

9. sherlockeb thread starter macrumors newbie

How can you be sure it's been two years since 5G was released. And by the time new devices are here, game developers are gonna cut A5 support.

10. Aspasia macrumors 65816

True, but there's quite a difference in price between an iPhone and an iPod Touch 5G.

11. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Probably just like the entire iPod line, it will stay around just not get any major updates. I'd still recommend it to people as it does serve a good purpose.

12. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

It will be spring 2015 at the earliest if they refresh the Touch.

1) Absolutely no leaks of a new Touch (everything else has leaked).
    2) Apple is releasing too many products this fall to bother with the Touch (Macs, iPhone, iPad, iWatch, etc).

Developers support is based on IOS (not A5). If the Touch runs the latest IOS, it will be supported unless it's iPad only.

13. sherlockeb thread starter macrumors newbie

First two points are just guesses they might be true they might be wrong, we don't exactly know what Apple plans to do. About developer support iPhone 4 has ios 7 but it can't open any demanding games. So having latest iOS on your device doesn't mean your device will open anything.

14. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Everything is a guess (including your comments about the game developers stopping support for the Touch 5).

No Touch leaks at all and the fact that even analyst were claiming that there would be no Touch this fall because of the number of products being released is a very good indicator that there will be no Touch 6 this fall.

15. pdaholic macrumors 65816

pdaholic

When the current gen iPod Touch 5 was released a couple of years ago, I don't remember many, if any, leaks.

The iPod Touch 5 is currently a great deal. I'm not a big gamer, but it handles every other function I do really well. I wish it had a GPS radio though, and I'm curious to see if the next gen will have one.

If you've got money, though, you should wait for the next gen which is likely around the corner. I seriously doubt Apple is going to kill the touch line.

My conspiracy theory: I personally think leaks are promoted by Apple, since people want to know about wether or not they should renew their contract with another phone, or wait to renew when the new iPhone comes out. That's why we don't hear about or see iPod or iWatch leaks, because there's no contracts needed. :D

16. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Every other article you read is about the iWatch. There has been nothing on the Touch 6.

17. pdaholic macrumors 65816

pdaholic

Yeah, but there have been no leaks--iPhone 6 has parts leaks even. And the articles on the iWatch are guesses that the device will even exist.

18. jonblatho macrumors 6502a

jonblatho

Indeed, there haven't been any leaks for several possible reasons:
    1. The iPod touch will not be updated
    2. The sixth-generation iPod touch has not yet entered mass production
    3. The sixth-generation iPod touch has entered mass production, but not enough are being produced to allow for substantial leaks

I'm not sure if iPod touch 5th generation leaked, but if it did, I'm sure it'd have caused a much larger ruckus than any rumors regarding the product.

That, and believing an analyst's words means you're just asking for disappointment. Just look at how many times Ming-chi Kuo has changed his story about Apple's 2014 products.

19. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Do you even understand how Metal is supposed to work? It's just an energy suppressor. You tick it on, and boom, better graphics rendering along with efficient battery usage.

On the A5 and 6 it's just going to blow through your battery like current games currently do.

Developers will optimize their games if it means a better chance of their game being profitable. You have to remember that most gaming SDKs are designed for mobile, consoles, AND computers too.

There are not app APIs that wouldn't work on the A5.

20. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

My iPT5 and my iP5s are set up identically and I see zero real world difference except my iPT5 is much more pleasing to the touch.

21. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

It won't become obsolete in a few months...it's getting ios 8 and it will still be able to play games and apps because the A5 chip is still quite powerful, the games may not be as smooth as an iPhone 5s but they will still work. And there has been no evidence of a new iPod touch to be released. I hope so, and I think they will but I don't think there is enough proof to change it. And there's still a few months to go, and the just released the new 16gb iPod touch 5.

----------

The main reason Mac Rumors has BUY NOW is because the 16GB was just released. If u look at how many days since the last update it's probably only been a month or so.

22. Aspasia macrumors 65816

A no contract IP5s starts at $649. An iPT5 starts at $199. That's a pretty major difference in my world.

23. nexus4life macrumors regular

It's pretty sad the status that iPod Touch has now. I used to keep up to date with the models until 4th Gen. Seems like there's no love for them anymore.

24. ourmountain macrumors regular

Have any facts whatsoever to back that up? Or are you just spouting off to seem like an authority?

Apple refreshed the Touch a few weeks ago, and there are zero leaks for an updated iPod touch. So the MacRumors guide is accurate.

25. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

I meant performance-wise. They behave identically.