I don't think there will be any Ipad mini

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gadget123, Aug 15, 2012.

1. gadget123 macrumors 68000

I don't think there will be any Ipad mini getting released..I think Apple will drop the Ipad 2 price with the old refurbished models starting at £200 and a new Ipad 2 batch with the new dock for £250. I don't think there will be any refresh of the Ipad 3 but they may say new batches will have the new dock but everything else is the same.

But yes very few moan about the Ipad dimensions. Many just go for the cheap tablets as they are cheap not small. The middle market for the 7" screen is filled by the Amazon Kindle as people buy it for books. The big Ipad mini Ipod touch will be the Ipod touch 4" screen to match the Iphone 5.

That's what I think..wouldn't put it past Apple? :p

2. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

I also don't buy the iPad Mini rumors. We've seen rumors of a smaller iPad since the first iPad. They were always "later this year it's coming!" "this holiday season there will be a smaller iPad!". I say hogwash. IF there is one coming, I certainly don't think it's being released next month at the iPhone/iPod event. There's just not enough room to release a redesigned iPhone, it's new features, updated iPods, and anything else AND announce a new product. They will just wait until the next iPad event and release it alongside the regular sizes iPad. Also, how would they price such a device? Fmthe iPod Touch is only 3.5" and it's already $249. We think Apples going to release a 7.85" iPad and keep the cost below $300. I don't think so.

3. racer1441 macrumors 68000

I'm saying yes we will see one, because the people dropping bits of news are the people you would expect to see be in the know.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Why not join the countless other threads on this discussion? The boards are split, albeit not evenly, but they're split. I guess we'll see when we see.

5. E.Lizardo macrumors 65816

How much more "room" would they need???"

6. profets macrumors 68040

I don't think "room" is an issue, but maybe in terms of a september keynote it would be interesting to see if they can show iOS6, new iPhone, iPad mini, new iPods along with all the usual stats and useless game demos within the usual 90 minutes.

7. Nevzorus macrumors 6502

What happens if they go over that 90 minutes? Isn't that place Apples?

8. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

The iPod Touch and the iPad Mini aren't direct competitors so a similar price tag isn't an issue. One is a tablet and one is a media player/game machine. Are some people buying a Touch because they can't afford an iPad? Of course. If Apple didn't think they could sell them at a price that makes sense, at the margin they want, and without costing them to many more profitable iPad 3 sales they wouldn't do it. We'll just have to wait and see. Personally I think it will happen. With quality $200 tablets like the Nexus they have to have a more price competitive product. The competition is catching up, if they sit on they tails they will see a decline. We have seen time and again the hot company fail to innovate to the market/consumer wants and fall to the wayside. Apple has to continue to innovate and make what the consumer wants to stay in the position they are in. They days of Apple dictating what the consumer wants are coming to and end one way or the other.

9. nelly29 macrumors member

10. NewGenAdam macrumors 6502

I think it's likely.

There is definitely a space in the market for a lower priced device - which could be smaller. This is clear from competition and Apple charging less for refurbed iPads.

An Apple exec said he has complete faith in their "product pipeline" which suggests something novel is likely - this is less likely to be the iPhone since the 5 is likely similar to the 4S.

11. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

It is happening.

Between the newly-revealed emails from Eddy Cue saying Jobs was convinced to people that usually have correct info saying it is coming, there is too much motion for it to not be true.

There are also rear casing leaks now. They look somewhat legit when compared with what the insiders are saying.

12. washburn macrumors 6502

question

been wondering, would Apple kill off the original iPad eventually with the mini iPad?

13. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

not enough room? lol all they have to do is say oh yeah one more thing and bam there it is.

iPod touch is not $249 it's $199. Add another $100 for a bigger screen and you are good to go.

----------

are they timed by the media? Is the media gonna pack up as soon as 90 minutes are over? You guys are stretching here

14. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

or kill off the ipod touch..

15. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

I disagree. It's a different form factor, for different use.

I own a motorcycle, a luxury convertible, and a pickup truck. They all provide the same basic transportation, but obviously some things are easier to do, or more preferable to do, in one as opposed to the others.

This is why I have an ipad, a kindle fire, and a phone. They all have their uses. Options are good for the consumer.

16. gusmahler macrumors member

Speak for yourself. The PRIMARY reason I haven't bought an iPad is because it's too big to carry around. If they end up releasing an iPad mini that's crippled for cost reasons (e.g., no LTE or no retina), I will be very disappointed. You just can't carry an iPad around at all unless you carry a purse/briefcase with you. And since I don't, I can't carry one around with me.

Completely different product, but I love the size of the Kindle. Fits in a pocket, so I can carry it around and read it when I'm waiting in line somewhere. Can't do that with an iPad because it's just too big.

17. kyellowness macrumors regular

There's gonna be A LOT of disappointed people if iPad mini doesn't come out this year...

18. dchao macrumors 6502a

YES. But a dumbed down iPad only.

It's going to be named Apple TV Mini. It could have Front Row added. Priced at $199 to kill off HTC first. Google is a big threat to Apple's long term strategy, and Steve's #1 enemy.

And I don't believe they will announce a 7-8" general purpose tablet, at a cheaper price to cut into iPad's own profit margin.

19. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

Honestly, if this is true, and if Apple sells the iPad 2 as a $300 device, it'd absolutely kill. A tablet that big, for $300? That's a market that hasn't even been entered yet.

20. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Steve Jobs said Apple was not interested in making a 7" tablet. He even gave reasons why a 7" tablet wasn't any good. I know Jobs isn't around anymore, but everyone says they are still operating on his product planning and will not change course from that so I doubt the rumors are true. Personally I'd love an iPad Mini, but I just don't think it is going to happen.

21. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Jobs was a salesman when he spoke in public, and he changed his mind constantly. Also there's that email that came out at the Samsung trial, from Apple's Senior Vice President of Internet Software and Services:

7-inch-cue.png

22. dchao macrumors 6502a

7" tablets aren't even iPad's competitors. Apple need a a portable media device to compete with Kindle Fire and HTC. Priced below $199, it's going to be so shocking to everyone.

7" iPad is an old rumor, leaked out by Apple themselves to distract us from the real thing.