I don't understand AT&Ts order priority....

kadify

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2017
So i ordered 6 phones through ATT Premier on friday morning when orders went live. I ordered 4 phones in one order (the max you can order in a single order) and the remaining 2 on another order a few minutes later. SOMEHOW, I'm only getting 1 phone from my initial order for 4 on this upcoming friday and the other 3 have delivery dates spread from 11/17-12/18. Yet the order of 2 I placed LATER I'm getting both phones this upcoming friday.

When I asked an AT&T employee why one entire order wasn't prioritized before later orders, I was informed that they prioritize individual phones and therefore it doesn't necessarily matter when you exactly order a phone but moreso how quickly an order technician gets to your order to actually place the order for you. Since phones aren't grouped via order number you could have multiple order technicians get multiple phone orders from your single order but the time it takes each technician to process things can result in varying delivery times. I just think that is absurd...

Renho

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
So i ordered 6 phones through ATT Premier on friday morning when orders went live. I ordered 4 phones in one order (the max you can order in a single order) and the remaining 2 on another order a few minutes later. SOMEHOW, I'm only getting 1 phone from my initial order for 4 on this upcoming friday and the other 3 have delivery dates spread from 11/17-12/18. Yet the order of 2 I placed LATER I'm getting both phones this upcoming friday.

When I asked an AT&T employee why one entire order wasn't prioritized before later orders, I was informed that they prioritize individual phones and therefore it doesn't necessarily matter when you exactly order a phone but moreso how quickly an order technician gets to your order to actually place the order for you. Since phones aren't grouped via order number you could have multiple order technicians get multiple phone orders from your single order but the time it takes each technician to process things can result in varying delivery times. I just think that is absurd...
Ya dude, I Pre ordered one year with them and got in 15 min early(11:45pmPDT) and I got my phone 2 weeks late, after some people that ordered way after me. That’s why it’s Apple ordering from here on out for me.

kadify

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2017
It is just so weird. I don't understand why they wouldn't prioritize an entire order first then move on to the next one. To separate an order is kind of weird considering I was up at an ungodly hour to make sure I got all of my orders placed in time. In the future, I may just place individual orders for each phone since apparently it doesn't matter if I group them or not.

Also I wish I could order through apple but unfortunately I'm on a business line with my phones so I can't:(

Renho

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
It is just so weird. I don't understand why they wouldn't prioritize an entire order first then move on to the next one. To separate an order is kind of weird considering I was up at an ungodly hour to make sure I got all of my orders placed in time. In the future, I may just place individual orders for each phone since apparently it doesn't matter if I group them or not.

Also I wish I could order through apple but unfortunately I'm on a business line with my phones so I can't:(
Ya that sucks. Ya no rhyme or reason with them. Which is frustrating but then again they do have millions of orders hit all st once. Things do get a little screwy.

protoxx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2013
Jack Burton: I don't get this at all. I thought Lo Pan...

Lo Pan: Shut up, Mr. Burton! You are not brought upon this world to get it!

from Big Trouble in Little China

dave006

Contributor
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
So i ordered 6 phones through ATT Premier on friday morning when orders went live. I ordered 4 phones in one order (the max you can order in a single order) and the remaining 2 on another order a few minutes later. SOMEHOW, I'm only getting 1 phone from my initial order for 4 on this upcoming friday and the other 3 have delivery dates spread from 11/17-12/18. Yet the order of 2 I placed LATER I'm getting both phones this upcoming friday.....
It does not work that way for orders but it does work that way for warehouse fulfillment. Different fulfillment lines run at different speeds but in terms of minutes not hours of difference.

The biggest issue on pre-orders is the color/storage combinations. How do your 2 orders breakdown by color/storage? That can really impact projected delivery dates vs AT&T's initial inventory orders from Apple. For example this year the most popular AT&T configuration was Space Gray 256 GB. Silver 64 GB units were available into Friday afternoon.

Dave

kadify

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2017
It does not work that way for orders but it does work that way for warehouse fulfillment. Different fulfillment lines run at different speeds but in terms of minutes not hours of difference.

The biggest issue on pre-orders is the color/storage combinations. How do your 2 orders breakdown by color/storage? That can really impact projected delivery dates vs AT&T's initial inventory orders from Apple. For example this year the most popular AT&T configuration was Space Gray 256 GB. Silver 64 GB units were available into Friday afternoon.

Dave
I don't know that the configuration had anything to do with this. I ordered 4 space gray with 64gb and 2 silver with 64gb. I'm getting the 2 space gray from the second order and 1 silver from the first order. One particular order I can see when going to the tracking page, didn't effectively get processed until saturday at 7am hence why it has a late december arrival time. I just don't understand how I can have 1 phone from an order get processed immediately and another one not get processed for more than 24 hours after the order was placed.

Renho

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
I don't know that the configuration had anything to do with this. I ordered 4 space gray with 64gb and 2 silver with 64gb. I'm getting the 2 space gray from the second order and 1 silver from the first order. One particular order I can see when going to the tracking page, didn't effectively get processed until saturday at 7am hence why it has a late december arrival time. I just don't understand how I can have 1 phone from an order get processed immediately and another one not get processed for more than 24 hours after the order was placed.

You mean the Same Phone SG 64gb from each order got processed?

kadify

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2017
No.
Order 1:
Phone 1: Silver with 64gb (has dec 18 delivery)
Phone 2: Silver with 64gb (has nov 3 delivery)
Phone 3: Space Grey with 64gb (has nov 17 delivery)
Phone 4: Space Grey with 64gb (has nov 24 delivery)

Order 2:
Phone 1: Space Grey with 64gb (has nov 3 delivery)
Phone 2: Space Grey with 64gb (has nov 3 delivery)

So the phones from order one got processed very strangely compared to order 2. Ironically from the print out from AT&T the same AT&T order technician processed all the phones with nov 3rd delivery but different technicians processed the other phones.

Renho

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
No.
Order 1:
Phone 1: Silver with 64gb (has dec 18 delivery)
Phone 2: Silver with 64gb (has nov 3 delivery)
Phone 3: Space Grey with 64gb (has nov 17 delivery)
Phone 4: Space Grey with 64gb (has nov 24 delivery)

Order 2:
Phone 1: Space Grey with 64gb (has nov 3 delivery)
Phone 2: Space Grey with 64gb (has nov 3 delivery)

So the phones from order one got processed very strangely compared to order 2. Ironically from the print out from AT&T the same AT&T order technician processed all the phones with nov 3rd delivery but different technicians processed the other phones.
Gotcha... ya ATT and there systems..

Lobwedgephil

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2012
Sounds like a couple of the technicians were sleeping on the job and processed some later. That is one of the issues with premier.

Reactions: kadify

kadify

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2017
It just seems strange to me that 3 phones weren't processed at all for several hours/nearly a day. I'm not sure what AT&Ts current shipping timeframe is but I doubt it is much more than a late december delivery so I effectively could have not preordered one of the phones since preordering didn't do a whole lot of good.

Renho

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
It just seems strange to me that 3 phones weren't processed at all for several hours/nearly a day. I'm not sure what AT&Ts current shipping timeframe is but I doubt it is much more than a late december delivery so I effectively could have not preordered one of the phones since preordering didn't do a whole lot of good.
The real question is, who out of you guys gets there Phone first and who has to wait... haha draw straws, Rochambeau, arm wrestle?! Lol

kadify

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2017
The real question is, who out of you guys gets there Phone first and who has to wait... haha draw straws, Rochambeau, arm wrestle?! Lol
Lol idk. Might end up having to try and brave friday lines. I'm not really sure what the plan is right now.

cwilliams706

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2017
Columbus, GA
Ya dude, I Pre ordered one year with them and got in 15 min early(11:45pmPDT) and I got my phone 2 weeks late, after some people that ordered way after me. That’s why it’s Apple ordering from here on out for me.
My experience is similar to your during the preorder cycle last year, I refuse to use their system again.