Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xpipe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2008
It's embarrassing, but after 1.5 years with an iPhone, I'm still not sure what exactly constitutes an iPhone "backup." I've been doing a combination of syncing, "Transfer Purchases" (for apps) and using image capture for transferring pics (I don't think I want to "sync" pics...I don't really want to move pics from my computer onto the phone?).

There has to be some simple one click process to do this, i.e., make a complete backup that can restore the entire phone if necessary. Am I being dense? What is an iPhone backup and how do I make one?

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
It's embarrassing, but after 1.5 years with an iPhone, I'm still not sure what exactly constitutes an iPhone "backup." I've been doing a combination of syncing, "Transfer Purchases" (for apps) and using image capture for transferring pics (I don't think I want to "sync" pics...I don't really want to move pics from my computer onto the phone?).

There has to be some simple one click process to do this, i.e., make a complete backup that can restore the entire phone if necessary. Am I being dense? What is an iPhone backup and how do I make one?

Syncing backs up the phone.

xpipe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2008
So the the act of syncing any category of information backs up the whole phone? I was hoping something like that would be the case. It also explains why it takes so long if you only have "sync bookmarks" selected, for example. Do I actually have to sync anything, or does simply connecting the phone back it up?

So what is the purpose of something like Transfer Purchases?

Thanks!

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
I believe you do have to sync everything for it to be backed up on your computer.

You can also right click on the phone and choose back up.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
So the the act of syncing any category of information backs up the whole phone? I was hoping something like that would be the case. It also explains why it takes so long if you only have "sync bookmarks" selected, for example. Do I actually have to sync anything, or does simply connecting the phone back it up?

So what is the purpose of something like Transfer Purchases?

Thanks!

When you back up your phone, it backs up the application settings (saved files, etc) but not the apps themselves (or any media on your phone that originally came from iTunes: photos taken with the iPhone are backed up).

When you restore from iTunes it re-installs all the apps from your iTunes library and then resyncs the media and re-applies the backed up settings

If you don't do a "transfer purchases" the media / apps won't exist in your iTunes library and couldn't then be restored if you restored a backup

iAd4m

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2010
On a somewhat related note, is there a way to maintain the app folders one has created ?

My itunes had a hiccup yesterday, somehow all apps and settings disappeared and I had to transfer purchases from the iphone.
So after that when I synced the two, all folders on the iphone were lost and I had to redo them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.