I don't understand Mobile Me

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Metsfan7450, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Metsfan7450 macrumors regular

Metsfan7450

I've read the information about push mail, push contacts, etc. but don't really understand how this works for the Ipod Touch. I still won't get my e-mail if I'm not in a wifi hotspot, right? What does it mean when it says it pushes it over the air? What's the big deal about having to hook your ipod up to the computer....that's not an inconvenience. When I delete an e-mail on my ipod touch now, it deletes it on my computer e-mail without having to sync.

2. sgtboy macrumors 6502

Well to be honest i have some of your same questions but can help you out at the same time.

I still won't get my e-mail if I'm not in a wifi hotspot, right? as far as i understand, you are correct

What does it mean when it says it pushes it over the air? this is probably the biggest thing that screws me up, and i can't seem to find an answer

What's the big deal about having to hook your ipod up to the computer....that's not an inconvenience. When I delete an e-mail on my ipod touch now, it deletes it on my computer e-mail without having to sync this is because you use an IMAP email setup which is sorta like mobile me. The main difference for email is that when you get an email, your touch IMMEDIATELY tells you, instead of hitting the mail button to check and see. As far as contacts and calendars, its just like syncing wirelessly...

3. dtwguy macrumors newbie

A little more info

Push e-mail is polled continusously on the server-side for updates. MobileMe then "pushes" your new e-mail out to you. The Blackberry was revolutionary as a push e-mail device. Currently, most e-mail accounts on the iPhone and Touch are "pulled" e-mail accounts. This means that you set up a regular interval for the device to log on to your account and check for new e-mail.

MobileMe is an intergator service that allows you to set up your imap accounts online and have them all pushed to your device. Also, MobileMe provides the same instant "push" function for your calendar, contacts, and photos, syncing them wirelessly between your computers, website, and device. It is very similar to Microsoft Exchange.

The Touch probably does not benefit much from this since it doesn't have a constsant connection to MobileMe unless you are connected by wifi. That sort of defeats the purpose of an instant "pushed" account.

For those of us who use the iPhone as a smartphone, the benefits of exchange and MobileMe are significant. For example, if I have to sync by USB then my secretary won't have my updated info while I am on the road and we will frequently schedule on top of each other. MobileMe insures that all my calendars are synchronized all the time.

4. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

I think the easiest sum up of this would be that its all just an on the fly update if your connected to wifi spot, so if your on your pc at home and you login to mobile me (me.com) and update the calendar for a reminder or added a new contact within seconds (if connected to wifi) this will be "pushed" (or sent to us normal folk lol) to and appear on the iPod/iPhone calender or contacts. This feature is already in place with the mail app with the likes of yahoo mail as it will refresh at certain intervals specified by the touch.

basically mobile me combines the features of syncing in iTunes with compatible email clients with calenders and contacts into a website for one ease of use place to go without hucking the ipod up to a PC/mac to sync new appointments, contacts etc

5. sgtboy macrumors 6502

6. Mastershake0219 macrumors newbie

I think this is probably a feature that will be much more appreciated by someone who has an iphone. It's still a cool feature tho.