I dont understand that ultraportable thing..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PokezoN, Oct 17, 2007.

1. PokezoN macrumors member

there already is a 13 in mac (MacBook) so whats all the buzz about that ultraportable 13 in mac ?
    like how it's gonna be different from the current macbook ?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

*sigh*

I'm not going to try to sell you that YOU need an ultraportable. But you ought to recognize that not everyone wants what you want.

If it comes out, it's expected to weigh 1-2lbs less than the Macbook (through a smaller screen assembly, possibly a solid-state or sub 2.5" HD, possibly no optical drive), and also be physically smaller.

A lot of people who use ultraportables like/need to carry them in designer briefcases or attachés that are not "laptop bags" -- honestly, believe it or not, the size difference between the iBook G4 / 12" and the Macbook is actually make or break for fitting in my Jack Georges briefcase.

So basically, the market that wants ultraportables is actually that picky, believe it or not, about size and weight. Whether you like the Macbook or not, it's significantly larger than what's generally considered ultra-portable. I think it's a lovely notebook. It's not an ultraportable.

3. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

maybe something like this

Attached Files:

4. Trepex macrumors 6502a

Trepex

That looks wild!

5. nyprimus4 macrumors newbie

I hope something like that comes out so I can justify buying a Blackbook.

6. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

but what if they all become aluminum? :eek:

7. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I like the mockup but I don't think there is any way we're going to see what is certainly seems like a Pro notebook with only 1GB of memory or a 40GB HD.

8. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

I agree, that mockup has been floating around for a year or so. Hopefully if it comes to fruition, it will either be the 160 1.8's that the classics have or 32 GB flash. The latter would make it expensive as hell though.