Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HXGuyAZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2014
So we've read that some phones have bent even in front pockets.

But what I don't understand is...how is that possible? How are these phones in people's pockets? When I put my phone in my pocket, it's in there vertically, parallel with my leg, not sideways which I assume it would have to be in order to bend in half...so how big are these people's pockets that a 6+ fits in there horizontally? I'm not even sure if I can fit my regular 6 horizontally in my pockets.

antiprotest

macrumors 68040
Apr 19, 2010
It is possible to bend the phone with it placed vertically in the pocket. If the pocket is small enough (jeans) the phone will be higher and closer to the area where your hip bends as you sit down and thus bends the phone also.

HXGuyAZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2014
It is possible to bend the phone with it placed vertically in the pocket. If the pocket is small enough (jeans) the phone will be higher and closer to the area where your hip bends as you sit down and thus bends the phone also.

Ok so I guess I have to ask...how high are people wearing those jeans? :D

My phone, in my pocket, is always on my upper thigh.

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
Easy to do with low rise jeans or any pants with short pockets. Sitting down or squatting with the phone riding up close to your hip puts a lot of stress on any pressure points. Not an issue with smaller phones, but potentially an issue with something as large as the 6 Plus. Might not be necessarily bend the phone, but not exactly comfortable either.

That's why I liked the smaller iPhones -- their EASY pocketability. Just because a phone can be jammed into a pant pocket does not make it EASILY pocketable. For me, the preference comes down to comfort and not wanting constant reminders from the phone that it's there.

ezhilk

macrumors member
May 15, 2011
Michigan

Just wondering, wouldn't you remove your phone from your pockets in such scenarios just because it would be uncomfortable? Unless you sit down first without realizing, by which point the phone could've bent already...

But like OP, I don't understand how normal trousers would bend these phones.

antiprotest

macrumors 68040
Apr 19, 2010
I don't understand the bent phone thing...are these phones in pockets sideways?

Just wondering, wouldn't you remove your phone from your pockets in such scenarios just because it would be uncomfortable? Unless you sit down first without realizing, by which point the phone could've bent already...

But like OP, I don't understand how normal trousers would bend these phones.

I do not have a problem but I'm just answering the OP question on how it could be possible.

When I'm wearing jeans getting into my car, I sometimes shift the 6 slightly so that it is placed diagonally in the pocket.

I did not have to do this with the 5s and at times the 6 is in my pocket in such a way or I'm sitting in such a way that I can leave it completely vertical.

The 6 plus however I think would be a whole different story.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.