I don't understand the drives issues

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by TSE, Oct 20, 2010.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

So back in 2008 when I had a Penryn MacBook Pro, I could honestly tell the difference between using the MacBook Pro in Windows Vista vs. Mac OS X Leopard at the time. Not because they are different Operating Systems, but just by the quality of drivers Apple brings to Mac OS X vs. the crap that they bring to Windows.

But I don't understand it, particularly... I don't understand why we can't just not install Apple's crappy drivers, and go to each hardware component manufacturer's websites and download/install the default non-apple drivers ones and have the Mac run Windows just like a PC... not a Mac running Windows without running crappy drivers? Does this make sense?

I ask this because I am very interested in the MacBook Air, 13", but I also want to run Windows about 40% of the time so I am very confused on if I should buy it over the Lenovo X201 due to the terrible drivers Apple provides.

2. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

The best solution is usually to make a complete install with Bootcamp drivers because obviously there are a lot of propriatory things in the Apple laptops. The drivers which are crappy are usually the graphics which can be upgraded in many systems easily to something more performant and the SATA drives which can be changed from legacy to AHCI. The problem with the AHCI driver is the EFI firmware. You need to make some tweaks to the registry and the Master Boot Record of your HDD to make that work. It is much easier with Bios machines. You can configure Bios for these kind of things.