i don't understand the pricing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dragonmantek, Oct 19, 2008.

1. dragonmantek macrumors regular

dragonmantek

the new macbook pro's have 2 graphic cards, i understand that. but it seems that the new ones have better graphic cards from the last generation model.

so its like this:

Last Generation MacBook Pro - $2799
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB of GDDR3 memory

New Generation MacBook Pro - $2000
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M and 9600M GT with 256MB or 512MB of GDDR3 memory

Why are the prices so different? I understand that it has a slightly bigger screen, but there isn't much of a difference altogether, except the new macbook pro's have faster RAM, and better graphic cards.

Can anyone tell me why that is? Cause I'm just confused they the old macbook pro's are so expensive.

2. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

it's 'always' been like that, some years ago, powerbooks were more than 3000$ if i remember correctly. so usually the new models give you more for less money. the previous models can be purchased quite cheaper on the refurb store.

3. TodVader macrumors 6502a

TodVader

You are comparing the last 17" to the new base 15". The price of the 15" is the same as last-gen (2K$)

4. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I don't understand, what are you comparing?

The last MacBook Pros sold at $1999 and $2499. The new ones sell at $1999 and $2499 as well. The current 17" MBP sells at $2799 while the last generation one sold for $2799.

The price points haven't changed. Are you comparing the current 17" to the current 15"? You're not making any sense.

5. dragonmantek thread starter macrumors regular

dragonmantek

i'm just confused because the last generation anythings are usually cheaper than the updated ones. and two inches on a screen shouldn't make that much of a difference.

6. TodVader macrumors 6502a

TodVader

You don't seem to understand. The prices for the MBP did not change at all between the last generation and this one.

The difference between the 15" and 17" is Apple's choice. Their pricing is high for everything but we need to decide if we buy or not.

7. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

hello? have you heard the saying "You pay for what you get"..

the 'old' 17 is a better machine, better design, better screen, better everything. thats why its more expen$ive than the newer 15's.

simple. :D

8. nitewolfgtr macrumors regular

nitewolfgtr

:rolleyes: Because Steve Jobs said so...! :rolleyes:

9. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

simply stupid. not a better machine, old chipset, old cpu, worse screen (yellow tinting), worse design (lets see who replaces a HD faster).

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Let's see who can install RAM faster or even the battery.

BTW processor is the same, and the 17" doesn't suffer from yellow screens. If it did, the new 15" is just as likely.

11. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Hmm the old 15" did so I assumed the 17" did as well. Also isn't the processor different since it runs on a different bus speed 1066 vs 800?

12. dragonmantek thread starter macrumors regular

dragonmantek

so if i were to get a macbookpro...

should i get the new one or the old one.

by the way, i am NOT getting a brand new one, i plan to get the refurbished ones which are cheaper.

if i were guided into getting the new macbook pro, then i'd have no option.

so which one?>

13. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

I'd get the brand new mbp, refurbished..if you wait a while?

14. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Just wait a week or two for most of the stores to start offering deals on the old MacBook Pros. For some reason, retail stores (non-Apple) are slow to update prices even when new stuff comes out. About a week after the new Nanos were released, Target still had the phat ones at full price.

15. mac jones macrumors 68040

Nube ^3 :D

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Which MBP is this? 15" or 17"? what size hard drive? how much RAM? I didn't pay that much for my early 2008. If I compare mine to the new 2.53GHz MBP, the new one is only $90 less.